• 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2C4A6755-F413-404E-90B9-A2D9D2B85915 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0693 (resized).JPG
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

Alternative has been around about as long as rock itself and I always listened to as much as I could find.

However in the post grunge days of the mid 90s, a new wave of alternative burst upon the scene spearheaded buy a few older bands and many new ones and that wave is still alive and thriving today.

This thread is about the modern era of alt rock, bands and music that fill modern festivals like Coachella and fuel our fire.

I'm going to start it off with an oldie but a goody. Can you name that pinball machine?

#2 4 years ago

Something a tad newer.

#3 4 years ago

Wow, I must have hit upon the heart and soul of pinside with this thread. lol

Let's see if anyone in this arena remembers this one.

#4 4 years ago

Alternative was merely a rebranding of Indie / College Radio all stars.
Big labels bought out the best acts from the smaller labels and needed a branding name for it.
Not really a Genre. Not even an Ethos, really. Just a name.

#5 4 years ago

It is a title that does group a lot of different kinds of music together. Different kinds of music that can sometimes all be grouped together on certain radio stations and at some of the larger festivals of today. Where fans can enjoy the variety.

#6 4 years ago

Probably my favorite genre during my teens and 20s, still enjoying it in my 30s.

#7 4 years ago

Not hip to most of the new shit, and more on point is I have no idea what modern alternative music would sound like.

I've heard of bands like cage the elephant, black keys, & fun, but I don't like the music and couldn't pick them out of a line up (not ONLY their fault or anything).

#8 4 years ago

Here’s a good one.

#9 4 years ago

For me, it was the soundtrack and backdrop of the great decade that was the 90s and on into the 2000s. And really it still is today. A big surge happened about 5-10 years ago with a lot of new talent.

Don't get to shows much anymore, but love watching those huge festivals they show on mtv live channel. And smaller shows like Guitar Center sessions.

#10 4 years ago

I'm a big fan of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club since their first album. Saw them in Philly once and it was the best concert I ever went to.

Discovered Nightmare Air last year when they opened for Gary Numan on his tour.

Sorry no YouTube vids - feeling lazy right now. Don't want to burn any calories with mouse clicks and what not.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Here’s a good one.

My 21 year old daughter's favorite band and has seen them live several times now. Hard to believe how long they have been around and still are very relevant today with an amazing and energetic live show.

#12 4 years ago

One of my favorites from a few years ago. Gets me everytime it comes on the radio.

Life's too short to even care at all.. whoa oh...

#13 4 years ago

#14 4 years ago

Some of the newer stuff is ok. I really like most of Muse's stuff. Hysteria by them is pretty hard to beat.

#15 4 years ago

#16 4 years ago

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I really like most of Muse's stuff. Hysteria by them is pretty hard to beat.

Love em or hate em, they fill huge arenas around the world.

#18 4 years ago

#19 4 years ago

Love the Deal sisters. Crank that one up with as much bass as your sub will handle.

#20 4 years ago

#21 4 years ago

#23 4 years ago

#24 4 years ago

This is way funner than that stupid punk rock thread.

#25 4 years ago

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm going to start it off with an oldie but a goody. Can you name that pinball machine?

Creech

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Love em or hate em, they fill huge arenas around the world.

Their shows are pretty epic. They are super talented and I like the way they use the base to drive the rhythm since there is only 3 of them. Their newer stuff is a lot lighter and i dont like it as much as their early stuff but its still at least unique.

#28 4 years ago

#31 4 years ago

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Goin back a bit

When I'm driving somewhere and I don't have anything in mind, I'll connect my phone to my car stereo and just put it on all songs -> random. Roughly 9.5K tracks to choose from, but my phone knows what I like. It seems like once a month or so, it will decide to land on JAMC's "I hate rock and roll"

This is when I end up just hitting repeat and listening to the same song over and over until I get where I was going.

#33 4 years ago

Guess we should include some Foster the People. First time I heard this I tought it was a girl singing. lol. Can't believe it is 8 years old now.

#34 4 years ago

JAMC were so good. Lucky enough to see them once.
Entire Psychocandy album is still addictive

#35 4 years ago

#36 4 years ago

#37 4 years ago

NOPE.

#38 4 years ago
#40 4 years ago

I've got something against you!

#41 4 years ago

#42 4 years ago

Look at young Johnny Marr!^^^^

#43 4 years ago

Sparklehorse

#44 4 years ago

Primus Sucks!

#45 4 years ago

#46 4 years ago

I saw this album when it came out & thought the cover was great, but never got around to actually listenening to it till recently.
Great album overall.

#47 4 years ago

#48 4 years ago

#49 4 years ago

I've gotten into Courtney Barnett. Here she is with Kurt Vile. She's got three albums - I think she's pretty freaking cool...

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-modern-alternative-rock?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.