IMG_0143 (resized).jpg
IMG_0142 (resized).jpg
0E330783-C5B7-4B97-85DA-865BE6A5E55F (resized).png
received_556317414804673 (resized).jpeg
pacman joystick 1 (resized).jpg
pacman joystick 3 (resized).jpg
8FFCCFB6-1771-40D8-825F-EBEA44CBF6D0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20181013_001734347 (resized).jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

If you make your own controller setup, you can get joysticks that will lock in either 4 or 8 way positions. I have no problems with an 8 way, but your movements have to be more precise. Daphne works great with mGalaxy. I've also played the pc version of Dragons Lair and that's good also.

The Mag-stick plus ball top even lets you switch between 4/8 way without taking apart the controller to switch it...

http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

PS: This thread inspired me to work on Daphne again. I can get Dragon's Lair working on my laptop, but when I transfer it to my PC (running Hyperspin) it has to reload things from the internet. Because that PC isn't connected to the internet that prevents me from loading the game. I may pull it out and get it working eventually, but I'm afraid when I connect the PC to the internet it's going to mess something else up. Old technology seems to work perfectly well, until it is forced to "update".

This is so true, as soon as I got MAME, Hyperspin and Daphne all working I turned of the network card. Daphne was probably the worst to get dialed.

#53 5 years ago

Do you remember if you had to mount the iso image? I downloaded the image, but never mounted it and somehow it just started working on my laptop. I was hoping perhaps the settings would save when I transfered it over to my arcade, but it went though the first run startup sequence again, which was stopped due to a lack of internet connectivity. It just seems like the iso file wasn't actually needed, but given the timing of how I was running things it's hard to tell.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Do you remember if you had to mount the iso image? I downloaded the image, but never mounted it and somehow it just started working on my laptop. I was hoping perhaps the settings would save when I transfered it over to my arcade, but it went though the first run startup sequence again, which was stopped due to a lack of internet connectivity. It just seems like the iso file wasn't actually needed, but given the timing of how I was running things it's hard to tell.

It has been a few years since I set it all up, I'll take a look this weekend. I know I got all the major titles to work, Dragons Lair 1 & 2, Space Ace, Mach 3, Cliff Hanger. I think I had some of the more obscure ones working as well but never bothered adding them to Hyperspin. I could just put the whole directory on a google drive or drop box.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It has been a few years since I set it all up, I'll take a look this weekend. I know I got all the major titles to work, Dragons Lair 1 & 2, Space Ace, Mach 3, Cliff Hanger. I think I had some of the more obscure ones working as well but never bothered adding them to Hyperspin. I could just put the whole directory on a google drive or drop box.

Badlands is my favorite, definitely check that one out...

#56 5 years ago

In mame you can map off the controller for different games and block the diagonals in a 4way game. It's not a perfect solution but it does help.

On my cab I configured this for each game that takes 4way and a separate config for odd games like qbert etc.

#57 5 years ago

My current project almost done.
Raspberry Pi 3, ipac for controlls and running attract mode.
Similar to hyperspin. All Mame and Daphne loaded

Built cheap as I possibly could.
Cab-free
Ipac-$50
Pi3-$60
Buttons and joysticks $60
Monitor- goodwill $20
Art- a buddy printed for $40
miscellaneous hardware
-$20
So $250 cdn total
Pi attract mode disk image found online.

I still have to add my sideart and vinyl wrap the front around the coindoor. And add more
t-moulding below the control panel.
But it's almost there.

received_556317414804673 (resized).jpegreceived_556317414804673 (resized).jpeg

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

In mame you can map off the controller for different games and block the diagonals in a 4way game. It's not a perfect solution but it does help.
On my cab I configured this for each game that takes 4way and a separate config for odd games like qbert etc.

As I was starting typing I was simply going to say "that's a great solution", but I'm wondering if that really makes any difference. I don't even think you need to remove the unnecessarily inputs from the individual games. When you setup your global inputs you enter everything. Only those inputs that are used in an individual game are activated. So in Ms. Pacman, an input of Up/Right should automatically be treated as Up and Right. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, you shouldn't have to change anything. The custom inputs are more for games where the preset order of buttons isn't correct. An example I can think of is Mortal Kombat. It's a 5-button game, but I wanted Low Kick to be button 6, since that is my button below High Kick (which is button 3). If that's not correct, please explain, because I would be interested in using this as a solution on my games.

#59 5 years ago

Bump for anyone who can help me with installing hyperpie 2 and whats the difference between retro and hyperpie 2

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Wait, M.A.C.H. 3 is fully available now??? I haven't fooled around with MAME in a while. LOVED M.A.C.H. 3!!

Quoted from swillie:

Badlands is my favorite, definitely check that one out...

Mine too! Used to play this for HOURS at the arcade in Sydney when I lived in Australia.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

As I was starting typing I was simply going to say "that's a great solution", but I'm wondering if that really makes any difference. I don't even think you need to remove the unnecessarily inputs from the individual games. When you setup your global inputs you enter everything. Only those inputs that are used in an individual game are activated. So in Ms. Pacman, an input of Up/Right should automatically be treated as Up and Right. Unless I'm not remembering correctly, you shouldn't have to change anything. The custom inputs are more for games where the preset order of buttons isn't correct. An example I can think of is Mortal Kombat. It's a 5-button game, but I wanted Low Kick to be button 6, since that is my button below High Kick (which is button 3). If that's not correct, please explain, because I would be interested in using this as a solution on my games.

It makes a difference, it tells the software how to render a diagonal input or in this case ignore it. Think about it, when you transition from up to right the diagonal will be interpreted by either up or right but if you block it off in MAME it's not any input at all. You really notice it on DK ladders and such where if you hit a diagonal you might get stuck and die.

#62 5 years ago

I installed a subwoofer in my cabinet this past weekend. I kept things low so that it's pretty subtle, but it certainly sounds better then the original at this point. Certainly not a high priority, but I've been picking up cheap powered subs when I find them at thrift stores. This put it to a good use. I also got Dragon's Lair working, but not though Hyperspin. I actually set mine up without RocketLauncher and I think I need that for the non-MAME systems.

Quoted from Raegor:

It makes a difference, it tells the software how to render a diagonal input or in this case ignore it. Think about it, when you transition from up to right the diagonal will be interpreted by either up or right but if you block it off in MAME it's not any input at all. You really notice it on DK ladders and such where if you hit a diagonal you might get stuck and die.

I'll have to look into it. I though MAME automatically only utilized inputs that were originally a part of the game. So when I hit tab, in a game like Donkey Kong, it will actually show Up/Right as an input?

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'll have to look into it. I though MAME only utilized inputs that were originally a part of the game, so Up/Right would be ignorred automatically.

Just the opposite, the game sees both inputs and it hiccups for a frame or so, just enough for you to die.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Just the opposite, the game sees both inputs and it hiccups for a frame or so, just enough for you to die.

Okay, so what do I need to change from the default setup?

#65 5 years ago

Took a look at my cabinet and the only games I have working in Daphne is Dragons Lair 1&2, Space Ace, Cliff Hanger and M.A.C.H 3. I have other roms but looks like I don't have the video files for the other games.

#66 5 years ago

I do also have a question about Daphne. So I know you are supposed to own the DVD for games like Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest. Fisrt, can I still buy those? If so where? Second, as an ISO those seem to be about 8gb each. I'm working with an older PC, so that's a decent amount of space. Do I need to keep those on my system for each run, or can they be deleted after the first run?

Is this the correct DVD to run with the emulator? Worried it won't work on my XP system?
https://www.gog.com/game/dragons_lair_trilogy

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Okay, so what do I need to change from the default setup?

I’ve always used a 4 way stick so don’t really know the settings. But this link might help

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=370137&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
0E330783-C5B7-4B97-85DA-865BE6A5E55F (resized).png0E330783-C5B7-4B97-85DA-865BE6A5E55F (resized).png

#68 5 years ago

Interesting. I wish I knew what each of those was actually doing. I also read a double tap creates a "not" in the tab settings. So, you can program up to be up, not right, not left. I wonder if this is what that is doing in text format.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I'll have to look into it. I though MAME automatically only utilized inputs that were originally a part of the game. So when I hit tab, in a game like Donkey Kong, it will actually show Up/Right as an input?

Like lucky stated, the game sees both up and right and will make you go up right up or right up right, which will get you killed in a lot of games.

The mameworld thread is the correct implementation.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’ve always used a 4 way stick so don’t really know the settings. But this link might help
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=370137&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
[quoted image]

Nice find!

#71 5 years ago

Did a bit of testing at lunch. What this seems to do is enter in the "not" controls for each game. This can also be accomplished though the tab settings by first entering the direction you want and then double tapping directions you want to exclude. So for a game like Donkey Kong to map Up you enter Up, Left, Left, Right, Right. This then reads out as Up not Left not Right. Do this for each direction and the diagonals should all be ignored.

1 month later
#72 5 years ago

All in one MAME arcade machine
25” CRT monitor
Switchable 4-way 8-way joysticks
Trackball
5 speaker sound with sub base
also running I-tunes with 100+ cd's loaded
internal smart power strip.....start the computer and everything else turns on

Multiple emulations:
MAME
Daphnie
Sega Genisis
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Sega Master System
Sega Game Gear
Sega 32x

Over 10,00 loaded game ROMS

asking $875 (less than it cost me to build it)

IMG_0141 (resized).jpgIMG_0141 (resized).jpgIMG_0142 (resized).jpgIMG_0142 (resized).jpgIMG_0143 (resized).jpgIMG_0143 (resized).jpg
#73 5 years ago

game is sold.......donation is made

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-a-mame/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.