20210501_143015 (resized).jpg
20210501_133553 (resized).jpg
20210429_155431 (resized).jpg
20210118_122557 (resized).jpg
20200904_220340 (resized).jpg
20200904_220331 (resized).jpg
20200904_220329 (resized).jpg
20200904_220325 (resized).jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Okay it just arrived. It was in a really bad shape when I found it and transportation people made it even worse. I can't even imagine what in hell previous owners did with it. Doesn't matter though.

So let's take a vote guys. Fixable or not?

Nonetheless I am starting restoration now
20190824_110054 (resized).jpg20190824_110054 (resized).jpg20190824_110105 (resized).jpg20190824_110105 (resized).jpg20190824_110045 (resized).jpg20190824_110045 (resized).jpg20190824_111733 (resized).jpg20190824_111733 (resized).jpg20190824_111739 (resized).jpg20190824_111739 (resized).jpg20190824_111742 (resized).jpg20190824_111742 (resized).jpg20190824_111748 (resized).jpg20190824_111748 (resized).jpg20190824_132813 (resized).jpg20190824_132813 (resized).jpg20190824_132829 (resized).jpg20190824_132829 (resized).jpg20190824_135037 (resized).jpg20190824_135037 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

It is for sure but how far you willing to go, I had a space shuttle in similar shape that I got back to be a really nice player.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

It is for sure but how far you willing to go, I had a space shuttle in similar shape that I got back to be a really nice player.

Well I will go as far as it gets. I know that I will never find another one. In my opinion it's totally worth it.

#4 4 years ago

You can do it! Don't bother with that lockdown bar though.

#5 4 years ago

Ah. A little hammerin' an' putty, and that lockdown bar will be good as new!

#6 4 years ago

this is totally worth a restoration if you are willing to put the time and money into it. Restorations also require many skills such as wood working and soldering skills that some may find difficult. But nothing is more rewarding to me than take something like this and turn it into a good looking, great playing pinball machine.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

this is totally worth a restoration if you are willing to put the time and money into it. Restorations also require many skills such as wood working and soldering skills that some may find difficult. But nothing is more rewarding to me than take something like this and turn it into a good looking, great playing pinball machine.

I couldn't agree more

#8 4 years ago

You can do it!! Keep us posted on your progress. It's gonna take a lot of time and effort, but totally worth it in my opinion.

greatwichjohn is making repro playfields and backglass for SG if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

You can do it!! Keep us posted on your progress. It's gonna take a lot of time and effort, but totally worth it in my opinion.
greatwichjohn is making repro playfields and backglass for SG if you decide to go that route.
Good luck!

Thanks. I have already speak with hin

#10 4 years ago

Fucking yikes, they shipped it with the head up?!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

Fucking yikes, they shipped it with the head up?!

Yeah. And legs on place.

#12 4 years ago

My Paragon has some interesting hacks on the rectifier board. Your’s is so much beyond that.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

My Paragon has some interesting hacks on the rectifier board. Your’s is so much beyond that.

Hahaha yeah that's true

#14 4 years ago

Oh, that's how you take off the lockdown bar...

#15 4 years ago

Well I’d just replace that rectifier board with a new one. They make those replacements now that are so much better.
That Star Gazer is 100% restorable. The lockdown is shot but you can hammer it back for a temporary fix since replacing it may be difficult. The head can be fixed as well with enough dedication. Otherwise where on earth would you find another Star Gazer?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Oh, that's how you take off the lockdown bar...

My guess is in some point some kind of total noob tryed to take it of. I suppose I must be thankful that he didn't brake the glass.

#17 4 years ago

Yep, it has had a rough life. Go for it, bring it back to life.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

.... Otherwise where on earth would you find another Star Gazer?

Exactly!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Well I’d just replace that rectifier board with a new one. They make those replacements now that are so much better.
That Star Gazer is 100% restorable. The lockdown is shot but you can hammer it back for a temporary fix since replacing it may be difficult. The head can be fixed as well with enough dedication. Otherwise where on earth would you find another Star Gazer?

I don't know, I kinda like the homemade 4 diode rectifier
Sarcasm aside, while I've replaced the old selenium rectifiers with bridge rectifiers, that's about the extent of my knowledge so I am somewhat in awe that someone was able to figure out how to do all that hacking presumably getting the game to work while not electrocuting themselves or burning their house down.

#20 4 years ago

Hey, at least it has an external battery holder!

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from balt:

It'll buff right out

#22 4 years ago

Take a look at where I started with my Sorcerer...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-save-a-sorcerer-or-how-to-spend-3000-on-a-1200-machine

I’ve found that restorations are all about the resources you have available to you. In my case, as long as I have a good backglass, a decent playfield and plastics, and a complete board set, the rest can be refurbished or replaced.

Here is that sorcerer today.
3E6E34DA-AFA5-4858-B61F-70517E662F72 (resized).jpeg3E6E34DA-AFA5-4858-B61F-70517E662F72 (resized).jpeg

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from balt:

The question is which is the easier route to take? Getting a used bar from another country, or just straitening it, and re-graining.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Take a look at where I started with my Sorcerer...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-save-a-sorcerer-or-how-to-spend-3000-on-a-1200-machine
I’ve found that restorations are all about the resources you have available to you. In my case, as long as I have a good backglass, a decent playfield and plastics, and a complete board set, the rest can be refurbished or replaced.
Here is that sorcerer today.
[quoted image]

That's a great work mate

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The question is which is the easier route to take? Getting a used bar from another country, or just straitening it, and re-graining.

Stratening first. If that fails I will figure it out later on. For now it's the least of my problems I think

#26 4 years ago

Why?

#27 4 years ago

Lots of work? Yep.
Cost effective? Probably not.
Worth doing? Absolutely.

#28 4 years ago

A first playfield clean-up just to see the damage.

And now the crucial question. Restore it or replace it?

As much I like mint condition playfields in that case I strongly believe that nothing can be compared with the original. So I say I will go for it.

Any other suggestions?

20190824_171519 (resized).jpg20190824_171519 (resized).jpg
#29 4 years ago

What's up with her face on the playfield above the flippers? Touched up at some point, i would have to presume. This is how she looks on a picture from the internet pinball database:

Screenshot_20190824_114059_org.mozilla.firefox(1).jpgScreenshot_20190824_114059_org.mozilla.firefox(1).jpg
#30 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

What's up with her face on the playfield above the flippers? Touched up at some point, i would have to presume. This is how she looks on a picture from the internet pinball database:[quoted image]

I noticed as well right away. I am trying to figure it out since then. It doesn't seem to have been painted or anything like that.
In internet pinball data base at the notes says that the girl in some playfields was different than others. However it doesn't refers to her face.

Doe any one know?

#31 4 years ago

Very cool machine, Axaios! Your lower playfield has several interesting differences in that area compared to some IPDB photos.

The shape of some of the Star Gazer letters are different, the gradient color fill/blend of those letters is different, the words "Bonus Multiplier" and "Plus" are absent, the shape of the right starburst, the woman's clothing colors/design, her face/hair, etc.
Star Gazer Side-By-Side (resized).pngStar Gazer Side-By-Side (resized).png

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidListener:

Very cool machine, Axaios! Your lower playfield has several differences in that area compared to some IPDB photos.
The shape of some of the Star Gazer letters are different, the gradient color fill/blend of those letters is different, the words "Bonus Multiplier" and "Plus" are absent, the woman's clothing colors/design, her face/hair, etc.[quoted image]

In deed. But why? Is this a different type of playfield?

Also the big star at the left hand of the girl is smaller in my playfield.

I have not seen this at any star Gazer photos any where

#33 4 years ago

General rule-anything built by man can be rebuilt by man. Whether it's worth it is what the question usually is. This pin is bad-but not beyond repair. It certainly needs to be "curated".

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

In deed. But why? Is this a different type of playfield?
Also the big star at the left hand of the girl is smaller in my playfield.
I have not seen this at any star Gazer photos any where

What’s the serial number? I’m sure someone will know why this playfield is so different. I think it’s cool! I would definitely restore it, including the original playfield. This machine has good vibes.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

What’s the serial number? I’m sure someone will know why this playfield is so different. I think it’s cool! I would definitely restore it, including the original playfield. This machine has good vibes.

A friend of mine thinks that it might be totally repainted by some one in the past. Perhaps this is most likely. I will check the aerial number.

#36 4 years ago

Everything is fixable...the real question is whether or not your time and expenses are worth it. With a project like this, it usually becomes a passion project (e.g. you fix it without accounting for your time). If you truly enjoy fixing and restoring pins, then it isn't really a loss. If you are looking to make money, you would likely do better with something else.

There us something to be said for resurrecting a pin, however.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Everything is fixable...the real question is whether or not your time and expenses are worth it. With a project like this, it usually becomes a passion project (e.g. you fix it without accounting for your time). If you truly enjoy fixing and restoring pins, then it isn't really a loss. If you are looking to make money, you would likely do better with something else.
There us something to be said for resurrecting a pin, however.

I am certainly not looking to make money over this. This pin will pass to my kids.

#38 4 years ago

It's a Stargazer. It's always restorable to SOMEONE.

#39 4 years ago

It's possible his example is prototype or sample, the serial number should give a clue

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

It's possible his example is prototype or sample, the serial number should give a clue

Serial number is 866. It's certain that is has been repainted.

The true question now is what to do with it. Replace it with a reproduction which is exactly the same with an original but it really isn't or restore the orginal but repainted playfield?

Opinions guys?

#41 4 years ago

The only opinion that matters is yours. Some people want their machine better than factory fresh, some people play crazy worn out fields and absolutely don't care. What do YOU want in the end?

#42 4 years ago

If it were mine, I'd want to preserve as much of it's history as possible, I'd probably touch up the playfield and clear coat....that's just me though

#43 4 years ago

Just part it out and help bring other games back to life.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

The true question now is what to do with it. Replace it with a reproduction which is exactly the same with an original but it really isn't or restore the orginal but repainted playfield?
Opinions guys?

Are you sure it’s entirely been repainted? That sounds like a ton of work that I doubt anyone would be bothered with back in a time when pinball was so plentiful they just threw out machines regularly.

Save it as it is, find someone to repaint the parts down to bare wood and enjoy the amazing STAR GAZER.
Parting it out is absolutely stupid, especially in Europe where pinball is extremely uncommon in the wild.

Everything looks complete and it will be a passionate project that involves deep love of the hobby and pride in bringing such a rare and popular machine back to life!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

Opinions guys?

According to the pinball database, your pin was one of the last few made! Only 869 total were made, this could explain your artwork, I wouldn't change it!

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

Okay it just arrived. It was in a really bad shape when I found it and transportation people made it even worse. I can't even imagine what in hell previous owners did with it. Doesn't matter though.
So let's take a vote guys. Fixable or not?

Europe and South America, man. All the most messed-up pins I ever worked on were European or South American hack specials. Some of the dumbest hacks I've ever seen. I stopped asking why a long time ago and just accepted it.

#47 4 years ago

Thanks guys. You are really helping.

I really thought a lot of this. The fuct that this pin is one of the last Star Gazers made (866 out of 869) might explain the art work. However is I think a long shot.

Any way.

This is a 1980 game. Even if it was repainted we are talking about early, mid 90s. Someone made the effort to restore the playfield 30 years ago. Perhaps this person isn't even alive as we speak. I think that represents true pinball history.

One way or another I think it's unique. I will keep the playfield as it is and restore the missing parts.

#48 4 years ago

These are not a dime a dozen game so fix/save just don't break the bank on it. Star Gazer is a good playing game i would put that back together myself. As to the playfeild some pic's it looks good but a few wear spots. Then in others it looks as if the surface is all lumpy not that can't be fixed. But looking at the rest off the work i'd look at a playfeild swap not that's a simple 2 hour task and save the old one as wall art. In doing the swap you could rebuild each section as you transfer it over to the new playfeild. leaving the cabinet work left. Boards fix what you can and replace whats not worth the fight.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Axaios:

Thanks guys. You are really helping.
I really thought a lot of this. The fuct that this pin is one of the last Star Gazers made (866 out of 869) might explain the art work. However is I think a long shot.
Any way.
This is a 1980 game. Even if it was repainted we are talking about early, mid 90s. Someone made the effort to restore the playfield 30 years ago. Perhaps this person isn't even alive as we speak. I think that represents true pinball history.
One way or another I think it's unique. I will keep the playfield as it is and restore the missing parts.

Sounds good, I would do the same. Regardless of the source of the unique art it gives the machine provenance. Post pictures along the way!

#50 4 years ago

Why not? It's pinball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-take-a-vote- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.