54E70CDD-0E65-4F08-8DDD-FB42D931C492 (resized).jpeg
8DCB3907-5495-4DEC-8EF8-0C2188B4C2AF (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.07.17 PM (resized).png
alpine2 (resized).jpg
alpine (resized).jpg
alpine3 (resized).jpg
Snow Derby 3-5 ball adjust (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Another one for the archive... played it? This particular machine was awarded best 1970's EM at the 2016 Texas Pinball Festival.

#2 3 years ago

Very enjoyable. Thanks!

#3 3 years ago

Nice video. I hadn't seen a feature like that playfield lap counter resetting at the start of each ball before. Other games reset targets and count bonuses (or not) but this game advances the lap counter back to the start each time. What other games had a similar feature?

There's a lot of moaning and groaning about AS (mini stepper) relays. That lap counter is driven by an AS relay. I wonder if it would work with a full size stepper given that it has to keep up with the spinners. Maybe that was one advantage of the AS relay. Cost and noise might be others.

/Mark

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Nice video. I hadn't seen a feature like that playfield lap counter resetting at the start of each ball before. Other games reset targets and count bonuses (or not) but this game advances the lap counter back to the start each time. What other games had a similar feature?
There's a lot of moaning and groaning about AS (mini stepper) relays. That lap counter is driven by an AS relay. I wonder if it would work with a full size stepper given that it has to keep up with the spinners. Maybe that was one advantage of the AS relay. Cost and noise might be others.
/Mark

I know Sheriff/Lawman has a rotating lap (cow patty?) counter which works exactly the same way. I think 300/Top Score also has one for the middle spinner shot.

I've considered replacing an AS relay with a full-size stepper just to test the idea, but I suspect it wouldn't work as well due to the differences in speed. AS relay only needs one little click whereas a full stepper unit has to pull and release a plunger to get the same job done. Which would cause the high-speed spinner shots to do nothing until it could catch up.

Might make an interesting test. What is the maximum AS relay click rate vs. a full-size stepper...

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for doing these videos. Great introduction to games that may not draw you to play at a show.

#6 3 years ago

Nic: You should have pulled Snow Derby out of its cue to show a shot of the side view of the Cabinet repaint
to get a better idea of how much better it looks with the new paint scheme.
This game is a sentimental favorite of mine being the 3rd EM pin that i ever bought.
I like the simplicity of play, and like you pointed out the ability to come from behind on the 4th and 5th balls.
I have always played it in 5 ball play, but wondering what the rules changes are on 3 ball play,
in particular how/when the pops and KOHoles light up.
One of the keys to higher scores on this game is nudging action up by the pops and KOHoles and spot targets at the top,
the longer you keep the ball up there the better, especially on later balls, as scoring only gets better further into the game one goes.
Also note that one gets an advance on the lap track with each 10pts scored, i.e. hitting 50pt spot target gets one 5 advances.
But one also gets an advance when hitting rebounds only worth 1 pt (10 times), whenever the tens (score) reel advances,
the lap track advances.
That is sometimes important when one is just one advance from completing a lap, for that all important added bonus.
One of the most satisfying shots in pinball is when you rip the ball thru the spinners and that lit spot circles around the track
and the sounds that result, both the chimes and brurrrrr sound of the spinner.
And the most satisfying sound in pinball, which this game started in EM pinball era, is the countdown of the bonus score,
the ka-chunk, ching, ka-chunk, ching, ka-chunk where the player can step back and catch his breathe
and take in the glory of a great ball.

#7 3 years ago

Snow Derby is a great 2 inch flip game. Been close to acquiring this game a few times but haven't been able to pull the trigger for various reasons. Love the ability to come back on the last ball, similar to Big Shot an other games that double bonus on 3rd/fifth ball(s).

Would also like to see the new paint scheme on this game.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have always played it in 5 ball play, but wondering what the rules changes are on 3 ball play,
in articular how/when the pops and KOHoles light up.

In a 3 ball game all of the features start 2 balls early.

The #3B, #4B and #5B trip relays determine when various features come on in the game:
Snow Derby 3-5 ball adjust (resized).jpgSnow Derby 3-5 ball adjust (resized).jpg
In a 5 ball game (in the conservative setting) the #3B, #4B and #5B relays trip at the start of ball 3, 4 and 5 respectively.

The position of the Player Unit (in red) determines when they trip. Player Unit positions 0, 4, 8, 12 and 16 correspond to the start of ball 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

So in a 5 ball game for example the #3B relay trips at the start of ball 3 which corresponds to position 8 of the Player Unit. In a 3 ball game the #3B relay starts in Player Unit position 0, or the start of ball 1.

/Mark

#9 3 years ago

Orbit / Outer Space in 1971/1972 also had that feature - a ring of lights that would advance each time the spinner or particular targets were hit - complete the circle to advance the bonus.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for the video! Beautiful game and great commentary... look forward to more of these!

#11 3 years ago

Original vs. redo...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#12 3 years ago

Oh yeah...that redo was soooo much better! There's enough yellow and red on the art to justify that, but that beige(ish) base color on the cab doesn't go with anything... Great job!

#13 3 years ago

Enjoyed the video; it's nice to see game play & rules info on a low production game that I don't see that often.

Keep the video's coming; a new adventure every Saturday?

#14 3 years ago

I have a couple Bristol Hills and heard it was a good player.
After seeing this video, I have to agree..
I need to make space and finish off that other room. So many
others I'd like to see set up that I've never played..

#15 3 years ago

Nick, keep em coming, gonna do a trip to the museum when all this @*#@ is over. Thanks for posting.

#16 3 years ago

That looks like the perfect pub game for beer battles. Great video, thx.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

beige(ish) base color

I think it was supposed to be a white base coat originally.
50 yrs of smoke and sun does a number on the paint job.
I like the new color scheme with light blue as the base coat,
but might have chosen to flip the accent colors, white where reddish purple and visa versa
or at least it would be interesting to see what that flip of colors might look like.
Non-white base coats tend to be some of my favorites and far less boring.

#18 3 years ago

Oh forgot to ask, when ordering for the museum T-shirts,
do you take paypal or checks/cash only.

#19 3 years ago

Only credit card at this point (we run it through Square). We have sizes in S, M, L, XL, 2XL in black, heather blue, and heather grey.

Want me to call later and get the #?

#20 3 years ago

Coincidentally, have you seen Pinball Pimp's custom stencils for Alpine Club on the "Em Pinball" group in facebook? Looks great, too...

#21 3 years ago

Heck yeah! Makes me want to buy an Alpine Club just to re-stencil it!

Original:

alpine3 (resized).jpgalpine3 (resized).jpg

Pimped version:

alpine (resized).jpgalpine (resized).jpg

alpine2 (resized).jpgalpine2 (resized).jpg

Yeahhhhhhhhhh... way better!

#22 3 years ago

Wow! Now that's a serious upgrade!!

#23 3 years ago

Wow, looks very nice. I have no problem with a repaint like this; now it matches the theme of the back glass & playfield and the blue is a perfect base color with the gondola on the head, skier on the side and snow flakes & snow make contrast in white really pop.

The original colors and design

I wish more cabinet art matched the theme of the game.

#24 3 years ago

Mr. Volta what an honor to play this machine. Love the videos too! Just about the prettiest EM I have ever played.
Wasn't able to rip the spinners but sure with a few more hours the skill would come my way.
Will you offer Private Pinball Hours at the Museum? Might be a way to get people back in a safe
limited way.

#25 3 years ago

Yes I predict we will do something like that.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

This particular machine was awarded best 1970's EM at the 2016 Texas Pinball Festival.

I remember playing it at TPF - it was a fun game. Thanks for sharing the video.

Ref. the Alpine club, impressive work and yet there are wire nuts on the power cord.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.07.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.07.17 PM (resized).png

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a couple Bristol Hills and heard it was a good player.
After seeing this video, I have to agree..
I need to make space and finish off that other room. So many
others I'd like to see set up that I've never played..

Why do u have two... making one great one?

#28 3 years ago

I have a very nice Bristol Hills, would like to trade it for a Snow Derby! I'm a replay guy and the AAB games aren't my thing.

#29 3 years ago

I'd actually be interested in doing that if all it would require is a backglass/backbox mech and/or motherboard swap. Could be done pretty quickly if so.

#30 3 years ago

Whats the value of a Snow Derby these days? I have one back in Pittsburgh that I planned to restore one day but might just sell it. Overall playfield has the wear spots below the kickout saucers but other then that pretty good looking. Cabinet will need redone as previous owner redid it. Same pattern just different colors and it's not appealing, to me at least. Game is working.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Why do u have two... making one great one?

Kinda, but can't quite make a great one. Both have very nice playfields and backglasses,
but each cabinet is like a 7. When the time comes, I'll decide. However, I haven't seen it,
but not too far away a digital Friend has one. Maybe when a digital comes my way, a trade
could give me a third which may possibly have a nice cabinet..

#32 3 years ago

I had fun designing the new artwork and yes, looks much better!

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Heck yeah! Makes me want to buy an Alpine Club just to re-stencil it!
Original:
[quoted image]
Pimped version:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Yeahhhhhhhhhh... way better!

It’s like a throwback to the old Williams woodrails with cabinet art that actually matched the game’s theme.

#34 3 years ago

Great game, my top 2-3 for sure.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Whats the value of a Snow Derby these days? I have one back in Pittsburgh that I planned to restore one day but might just sell it. Overall playfield has the wear spots below the kickout saucers but other then that pretty good looking. Cabinet will need redone as previous owner redid it. Same pattern just different colors and it's not appealing, to me at least. Game is working.

Here's some pictures of the SD I have.... again looking for value of this game. Game works with no issues at all.

19D77A2C-B283-4ECD-9154-3C3EBFD1B0CB (resized).jpeg19D77A2C-B283-4ECD-9154-3C3EBFD1B0CB (resized).jpeg27BFE161-D11C-455F-BAE1-9A82FFD7FFB9 (resized).jpeg27BFE161-D11C-455F-BAE1-9A82FFD7FFB9 (resized).jpeg54E70CDD-0E65-4F08-8DDD-FB42D931C492 (resized).jpeg54E70CDD-0E65-4F08-8DDD-FB42D931C492 (resized).jpeg8DCB3907-5495-4DEC-8EF8-0C2188B4C2AF (resized).jpeg8DCB3907-5495-4DEC-8EF8-0C2188B4C2AF (resized).jpeg
#36 3 years ago

Even with the incorrect repaint, I think you could get $800 for that because the PF and BG are so nice and it works... and they don't seem to come up that often.

I had an offer of $3500 for mine, but that would've been a break-even deal after all the time and money I put into it. Cab repaint, clear coat & touchups, polished metals, new door and legs, various parts, the original cost of the game itself, stealth LED, and all of the time for a total rebuild? It adds up!!!

Might have jumped at $5000, but then I'd have no Snow Derby!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Even with the incorrect repaint, I think you could get $800 for that because the PF and BG are so nice and it works... and they don't seem to come up that often.
I had an offer of $3500 for mine, but that would've been a break-even deal after all the time and money I put into it. Cab repaint, clear coat & touchups, polished metals, new door and legs, various parts, the original cost of the game itself, stealth LED, and all of the time for a total rebuild? It adds up!!!

Thanks for the input and for not taking offense to me hi-jacking your thread!

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yeah, agreed - 800 sounds right; overall very nice; some kickout wear, not terrible.. and around northern VA, I never see this game come up for sale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-play-snow-derby-1970-gottlieb-at-roanoke-pinball-museum?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.