(Topic ID: 228025)

Let's design a new Bally/Stern Classic game > Time to talk design...

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wugly
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What theme do you like best?”

• mythical beasts 31 votes
      11%
    • alien creatures 24 votes
      9%
    • underwater 44 votes
      16%
    • space/time travel 54 votes
      19%
    • outerspace 46 votes
      16%
    • wizards 24 votes
      9%
    • boardsports 4 votes
      1%
    • greek 7 votes
      2%
    • hot chicks 47 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 281 votes by 162 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside design screenshot v1 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinside v3.jpg
    pop flow (resized).jpg
    Right main shots (resized).jpg
    1 more left flipper shot (resized).jpg
    Left main shots (resized).jpg
    pinside v2 (resized).jpg
    2018-11-13 15_55_09-Zombie Yeti Studios - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    pinside v1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    dtzboyz (resized).jpg
    SG (resized).jpg
    Skate (resized).jpg
    SeaW (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 5 years ago

Think along the lines of classics... like:
    Fireball- Mythical Fire Gods Odin and Wotan throwing fireballs in space...
    Pinbot- Fantasy Giant Space Robot that juggles planets in space
    The Machine- BOP once again, Fantasy Giant Space Robot that becomes human in space...
    Space shuttle- in space
    Blast off- to space
    Meteor- from space
    Apollo 13- disaster in space
    Star Wars- in space
    Star Trek- space, the final frontier...
    Space space space space space...

There are 222 entries (literally) in the IPDB marked as space themed. Maybe space needs a rest? Or does space just sell pinball? Or could it be we were in the middle of the space race when a fair number of these titles came out?

#65 5 years ago

Ideas for pinball that are WAY OUT there...

Phobia! A machine based on things people are afraid of... like Luposlipaphobia... the fear of being chased by wolves around a newly waxed kitchen floor while wearing socks... my apologies to Gary Larson.

And that American Horror story honey comb phobia... Trypophobia. That one, at the the right time and the right texture and the right color, I have a little of that.... it repulses more than it makes me fear it, though. So could you imagine a mode where you have to look at a mini screen like di or gb and shoot at pictures of the things you fear? Fear of flying video mode... Use that BG display and really go to town. Not to mention fear of heights (shoot the ramp), and show progressivly higher pictures on bg...

I did say way out there....

#67 5 years ago

Thinking about that idea... Phobia... hmm... Face your Fears... get bigger points. Choosing a fear and facing it... some fears (rational) could be worth more than phobias (irrational) or vice versa... let the player choose his fear and rate his/her fear of it (1 to 5 scale?) and then attempt to overcome it... how hard the combos are to complete based on their choice, 1 is easy,but not owrth much points, 5 being a bitch to complete but worth the $$$... spider toy, snake toy,
    Fear of the dark... all lights go out... just the display is lit up... this stuff writes itself....

Phobia! Scared Stiff II? Or American Horror Story I?

#70 5 years ago

Long time no see EalaDubhSidhe from the VP days... same Bublehead as before.

#76 5 years ago

As a person used to NOT playing with double flippers, nasty trapping and cupping habits bite me endlessly for my first few games... then you start really reaching for that 1970’s muscle memory, and if it wasn’t wiped out by now by all the mind altering substances, or with the help of some, who knows?, you finally settle down and play like a man with one hand tied behind his back and your scores start climbing back up to decent. You definitely are forced by the double right flippers to rely on your weaker left hand (for the majority, sorry south paws) and this is exactly why a designer might choose this arrangement. Push you out of your right handed comfort zone. Do it to both sides? Um, ouch, I can feel the blade on my neck before I plunge the ball. And speaking on Paragon, does anyone else remember just how long a ball it takes to complete Paragon with weak flippers? I hate thumper bumpers in outlanes. I’ll just say it. Yes, they have been the reason for some really interesting saves and much chiding has been thrown down while a ball is trapped precariously thump thump thumping just a couple of degrees off pure sudden death, and yeah, I’ve been on the receiving side of it once too often. But I was also shoveling quarters into this machine back then too. Many an operator I am sure has some fond memories of opening the coin box on a Paragon.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-design-a-new-bally-stern-classic-game-gt-what-theme?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.