(Topic ID: 228025)

Let's design a new Bally/Stern Classic game > Time to talk design...

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wugly
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What theme do you like best?”

• mythical beasts 31 votes
      11%
    • alien creatures 24 votes
      9%
    • underwater 44 votes
      16%
    • space/time travel 54 votes
      19%
    • outerspace 46 votes
      16%
    • wizards 24 votes
      9%
    • boardsports 4 votes
      1%
    • greek 7 votes
      2%
    • hot chicks 47 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 281 votes by 162 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside design screenshot v1 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinside v3.jpg
    pop flow (resized).jpg
    Right main shots (resized).jpg
    1 more left flipper shot (resized).jpg
    Left main shots (resized).jpg
    pinside v2 (resized).jpg
    2018-11-13 15_55_09-Zombie Yeti Studios - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    pinside v1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    dtzboyz (resized).jpg
    SG (resized).jpg
    Skate (resized).jpg
    SeaW (resized).JPG
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

edit:poll added for general themes > can vote for multiple

With Stern revamping Seawitch into Beatles, the current demand for classic Bally and Stern titles, and the fact that they are just in general my favorite era of game to play...

I was curious what people really would want to see in a new 'classic'?

Lets start with the most obvious thing > Theme

To be a god theme it needs to be recognizable to the majority, desirable/ not off putting, and capable of bringing in some great art.
    Looking at the recognized classics they tend to all fit this bill.

The Bally Classics of 80-81 that fit this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/centaur mythical beast dude with hot chick
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/medusa greek mythical hot chick
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/fathom underwater hot chicks with mermaids
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/embryon weird alien stuff/ futuristic
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/eight-ball-deluxe pool theme with of course some chicks
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/frontier rough outdoorsmen theme
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/skateball whom does not like skating (and of course a few hot chicks)

The Stern Electronics classics from similar era:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/nine-ball pool theme but with wizards
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/star-gazer hot chick star/space/cosmos stuff
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/quicksilver alien hot chick thing
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/seawitch underwater sea chicks
    https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/meteor space meteor stuff

Pool, manly outdoors stuff, wizards, space, underwater, alien, boardsports

What are we missing here?

What theme works best for a 2018 design on a classic theme with great art?

(we will get into game play and features later)

#2 5 years ago

I feel like the best theme would not just sarcastically combine a bunch of these.

Something like >>

Hot alien wizard-type chicks that are taking control of mythical lizard/beast man (on another planet of course)

#3 5 years ago

Central themes to pinball always seem to include atleast:
    aliens
    medieval stuff
    mythos stuff
    underwater creatures
    pool (pretty dated now so i think we toss this out)
    sports (surfer, skating, fishing, rafting, etc... but these are largely more modern era)

#4 5 years ago

the right theme will need to appeal to the majority male pinball culture but also definitely must be female positive and promoting of women.

both depicted sexes should be hot (sex sells) but should also be classy (2018 is not 1981 afterall)

#5 5 years ago

As long as we're talking about an unlicensed game, it'd be neat to see something space oriented again. Not necessarily with Aliens being the central theme, but just something with cool galactic art, black holes, rockets, stars, mysterious planets, exploration, slip in a little mystery of time and space, some alien cameos, and I think you'd have a pretty slick game.

#6 5 years ago

should also be something that appeals to 25-35, 35-45, and 45-55 yo population as those 30 years are the main buying demo of pinball machines.

To put this in perspective, people born between 1993 and 1963, with focus on form when those people were teenagers and onward, so cultural appeal from 1978-2008 is really the span of the hot spot right now in my opinion.

Quoted from mbaumle:

As long as we're talking about an unlicensed game, it'd be neat to see something space oriented again. Not necessarily with Aliens being the central theme, but just something with cool galactic art, black holes, rockets, stars, mysterious planets, exploration, slip in a little mystery of time and space, some alien cameos, and I think you'd have a pretty slick game.

I agree and think that space is really a good one right now. Space was hot in the 80s ans space is hot again now. Seems like any theme needs to look to space theme in some way.

#7 5 years ago

Time travel and space stuff are my favorites

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

Time travel and space stuff are my favorites

time travel is great also!!!

nice idea!!!

also could play into the idea of hot space alein-type chicks that travel through space and time to battle all sorts of mythical creatures/ man beasts

love that!

#9 5 years ago

Working theme: Time/Space Traveling Wizard/Alien Chicks (hot of course) that conquer mythical man beasts (also hot of course)

What do we call this game?

The title should connote the theme well but honestly should be a single word (like all the classics are/were).

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I feel like the best theme would not just sarcastically combine a bunch of these.
    Something like >>
    Hot alien wizard-type chicks that are taking control of mythical lizard/beast man (on another planet of course)

Sounds a lot like RHPS!

#11 5 years ago

Ster Electronics Iron Maiden with Bally Embryon.

#12 5 years ago

what is RHPS?

#13 5 years ago

Rocky Horror Picture Show

#14 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-ideas-for-retheme#post-3953959

from the list in this link, keeping with what Stern seems to like:
    Pink Floyd or Depeche Mode.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

I can see that, but I dont think a parody is the way to go. non-sarcastic and genuine mythical world idea based on the themes is the way with pinball.

Pinheads love fantasy and getting away from the real world with the "world under glass"
    I do agree that the very best non-licensed themes shoudl feel familiar and recognizable/ identifiable to the general populus.
    i.e. the reason Medieval Madnes is such a good theme is that it is Monty Python without being Monty Python.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-ideas-for-retheme#post-3953959
    from the list in this link, keeping with what Stern seems to like:
    Pink Floyd or Depeche Mode.

no licenses for this topic

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Working theme: Time/Space Traveling Wizard/Alien Chicks (hot of course) that conquer mythical man beasts (also hot of course)
    What do we call this game?
    The title should connote the theme well but honestly should be a single word (like all the classics are/were).

Anyone have title ideas for this type of theme?

#18 5 years ago

Re-theme Fathom to something spacey.
    -Mike

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

no licenses for this topic

Crap, forgot that part...

no "original" ideas here

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Re-theme Fathom to something spacey.
    -Mike

design will come later

Fathom is a good design but has a few flaws IMHO also. Will save that for a later topic. Also not talking about a reskin. Talking about a new design (when the time comes)

What classic theme do you like?

#21 5 years ago

poll added for general themes > can vote for multiple

#22 5 years ago

bump for poll

everyone loves polls

#23 5 years ago

Rick and Morty comes to mind. Or where you thinking non-licences?

#24 5 years ago

I already got hand slapped for "my" ideas

#25 5 years ago

Smurfs
    Or lucky luke

#26 5 years ago

A New Pin called "The Game of Life" The modes will start as a newborn! You will wok your way through to starting School,maybe graduate if you get the right combos,then either college -or=the street life!! Success or failure depending on which combos and modes you complete,or don't!! Sound familiar

#27 5 years ago

I always really enjoyed the artwork on GTB late 70s/early 80s stuff. I'm thinking Asteroid Annie and the Aliens. Always thought that was a beautiful backglass and PF. You can get really creative with space/cosmic/alien/futuristic sci-fi themes. Can pretty much take it in any direction you'd want to go and it would be all "believable" in that world.

I love fantasy themed things too. Mythical beasts like dragons, barbarians, wizards, etc. It might be going into "nerdy" territory, but one could argue that the majority of pinball enthusiasts sit in that category anyways

#28 5 years ago

Underwater theme. I always thought like a Fathom ll would be a great follow up to original but of course changes to original layout. Call it Deep Diver or Diver Down with a giant squid or octopus creature or maybe like the movie Abyss with the aliens at the bottom.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

Underwater theme. I always thought like a Fathom ll would be a great follow up to original but of course changes to original layout. Call it Deep Diver or Diver Down with a giant squid or octopus creature or maybe like the movie Abyss with the aliens at the bottom.

very cool idea!

#30 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #31 5 years ago

how about a baby Elvira?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdennie:

how about a baby Elvira?

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Ok, I guess I get your point.
    just was thinking, with a new Elvira coming, and the other 2, why not a progression early ss/sys11/wpc-95/spike.

let me change that to a Casper.

#34 5 years ago

Think along the lines of classics... like:
    Fireball- Mythical Fire Gods Odin and Wotan throwing fireballs in space...
    Pinbot- Fantasy Giant Space Robot that juggles planets in space
    The Machine- BOP once again, Fantasy Giant Space Robot that becomes human in space...
    Space shuttle- in space
    Blast off- to space
    Meteor- from space
    Apollo 13- disaster in space
    Star Wars- in space
    Star Trek- space, the final frontier...
    Space space space space space...

There are 222 entries (literally) in the IPDB marked as space themed. Maybe space needs a rest? Or does space just sell pinball? Or could it be we were in the middle of the space race when a fair number of these titles came out?

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about a western?

personally really like it, but it has never seemed to be a good one for pinball.

#37 5 years ago

hold your horses, an underwater western? Something like Cowboys and Aliens but different...?

#38 5 years ago

Me, I would like everyday themes the best - reading the newspaper, eating lunch, going to work, getting out of bed, etc. They could offer infinite possibilities for humor and societal commentary

#39 5 years ago

How about White Knights? You play as a Neck-bearded white knight coming to the aid of M'ladys everywhere.

mz7fl6lp79uz[1] (resized).jpgmz7fl6lp79uz[1] (resized).jpg
    #40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

personally really like it, but it has never seemed to be a good one for pinball.

Cowpoke, Bounty Hunter, CC?

#41 5 years ago

Space theme with CRAZY ramps,twists and turns like the space mountain ride at Disney.
    More than #RCT.
    For someone to look at the playfield and say "your kidding,right?"
    -Mike

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

hold your horses, an underwater western? Something like Cowboys and Aliens but different...?

Once upon a time
    Williams tried the outrageous and
    Big Guns didn't exactly torch the pinball world.
    Something "different" should never cross the line into "what were they thinking?"

#43 5 years ago

So based on your poll right now, you have mythical underwater beasts that can travel through space and time...checks out.

We could call it Hot Tub Time Machine...Done! Let's move to layout

Hot-Tub-Time-Machine-2-Gets-Christmas-2014 (resized).jpgHot-Tub-Time-Machine-2-Gets-Christmas-2014 (resized).jpg
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about a western?

I like the western theme too. I wanted to base a game around the artwork for Secret Panchos. It's a western, but it also has elements of fantasy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Quoted from FatPanda:

Done! Let's move to layout [quoted image]

My favorite features of 80s games are in-line drop targets, drop target banks, and spinners.

#45 5 years ago

I'm really curious to what Whysnow thinks about all this. Maybe he'll chime in!
    Oh he started this thread. Never mind!

#46 5 years ago

When you say 'classic', do you mean an 80s-style original game, or a modern game with 'classic' themes based on that list? Because I've tried my hand already at both of those, one of which would have been Circe's Animal Alehouse. My thinking for original themes tends to be along the lines of 'relatable human activity in a fantastic environment, as part of a world that feels much larger, the pinball game being a microcosm of it'.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

My favorite features of 80s games are in-line drop targets, drop target banks, and spinners.

Yes same! Exposed pop bumpers for sure. Maybe double flippers (ala Paragon, Harlem Globetrotters, or Alien Poker)

#48 5 years ago

I think this is the wrong approach. I have been giving some thought to creating a game of this style. Art is where I don't have any talent at all so I would go to local art shows/displays, tatoo shops and look for online recommendations of local artists.

There are artists out there that have their own style and I would look for one that made up their own character(s) and see if they would be interested on working on a pinball project using their creation.

Some of these creative types would have storylines in their head to go with each character so you could pick their brain and get the theme's personality from them.

Make a deal where you pay them a set fee for the art or if the want to gamble offer a deal where they get paid per game if it ever got built while being honest and telling them what a long shot that would be.

I have some really cool ideas for playfield mechs and I would pick one or more to fit that game.

#49 5 years ago

Just about all of the 77-85 Bally / Stern era game artists are still with us. Most in some way still have ties to the industry. Greg Kmiec is still designing stuff (Breakshot), and Jim Patla while retired is still active in the pinball community. Maybe we can re-create a game by original artists, by original designers. With custom harnesses and software now more easily obtainable than ever before, maybe now is the time! I'll bet the artists/designers still have things in their files that could be finished off and produced.

Me personally? It would have to be the production of Bally's "Mysterian".
    Honerable Mention to Stern "Cue" with playfield improvements.

Duncan Brown has some of the lost Harry Williams playfield layouts. Who says they can't be made as solid state Stern's instead of EM games?

Bally had so many licenses, Stern so many Space Themed games. Maybe it's time for a Buck Rogers pinball based on the TV series, maybe Wonder Woman? Dukes of Hazard? Racing themed like "Dirt track Demon" or something along those lines. Card themes are always a hit. Maybe 5-card draw where you try to make the best poker hand. I'm a hardware guy, so creativity isn't really my strongest attribute

Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpgBackglass.jpgBackglass.jpg
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-design-a-new-bally-stern-classic-game-gt-what-theme?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.