(Topic ID: 228025)

Let's design a new Bally/Stern Classic game > Time to talk design...

By Whysnow

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wugly
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What theme do you like best?”

• mythical beasts 31 votes
      11%
    • alien creatures 24 votes
      9%
    • underwater 44 votes
      16%
    • space/time travel 54 votes
      19%
    • outerspace 46 votes
      16%
    • wizards 24 votes
      9%
    • boardsports 4 votes
      1%
    • greek 7 votes
      2%
    • hot chicks 47 votes
      17%

(Multiple choice - 281 votes by 162 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside design screenshot v1 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    pinside v3.jpg
    pop flow (resized).jpg
    Right main shots (resized).jpg
    1 more left flipper shot (resized).jpg
    Left main shots (resized).jpg
    pinside v2 (resized).jpg
    2018-11-13 15_55_09-Zombie Yeti Studios - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png
    pinside v1 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    dtzboyz (resized).jpg
    SG (resized).jpg
    Skate (resized).jpg
    SeaW (resized).JPG
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I don't think those in-lines on Jack Danger's game are being employed as a Danesi lock: you need more space in between each target, and each one needs to be a separate single-drop mechanism rather than being one complete unit. (Another reason I wouldn't use it: makes the BoM more expensive, especially if you're already committed to using drops elsewhere.)

You might be right, it's been awhile since I've studied that machine. I think Jack is creating something where you can lock a ball and it becomes a captive ball. Basically the captive ball support posts can be raise up locking the ball as a captive ball. Hit it three times to knock down the drop targets. Then shoot it one more time and it adds the captive ball to the game. Either way, that is something that should exist in pinball.

#102 5 years ago

Debating at the moment whether to opt for three trip-coil memory in-lines in one place, or a single drop at two different places that each guard a lock point. Bit reluctant to place a lock behind an in-line bank as the shot is also an upper flipper feed and will make the area look like a Fathom knock-off. Either way, multiball would be started by a magnet catch at the top; Beatles probably does this as well but the magnet's been in this core design for years and is part of the geometry and flow.

#103 5 years ago

Debating at the moment whether to opt for three trip-coil memory in-lines in one place, or a single drop at two different places that each guard a lock point. Bit reluctant to place a lock behind an in-line bank as the shot is also an upper flipper feed and will make the area look like a Fathom knock-off. Either way, multiball would be started by a magnet catch at the top; Beatles probably does this as well but the magnet's been in this core design for years and is part of the geometry and flow.

can you share a sketch for those of us that are more visual?

#104 5 years ago

Depends on the layout. You could always just reset the single drop target to make it behave like bank of three, but I think that could be frustrating for some reason. With in-line drop targets you can see the progress. Hit one..it drops, hit a second...it drops, etc. With a target that just keeps resetting, I'd also want inserts that track the progress. Unless you can do that, I'd stick with the traditional in-lines. I don't think it's a bad thing to be compared with Fathom.

#105 5 years ago

Funny that we brought up Fathom, because the way the layout revision is shaping up, if I'm creating this in a deliberately 1982-era style, the ideal theme from the poll list would be underwater-based, with the title being '20,000 Miles Under The Sea' (rather than Leagues if there's an insistence on being different from the Verne original). The title matches up perfectly with the features in the game around which the core early-80s score-and-bonus ruleset would be modelled, with an emphasis on letter-spotting.

#106 5 years ago

Think I've decided not to put a lock eject behind an in-line bank and use a target instead that does its own thing. Reason being that unless the in-lines are set up to work like TNA or Fathom (both of which have been ruled out), or you place some other feature in between (which makes the in-lines redundant), once a ball is in there the whole shot is effectively dead until you qualify for multiball start. Nobody is going to like that when it's such an important flipper feeder that you're still encouraged to keep shooting.

#107 5 years ago

Got a solution to the in-line and lock conundrum now that arranges the features in a different way, while allowing others to still chain together in the way that I want. Turns out the biggest consideration was available space - I was also hoping to create a captive ball chamber with five star rollovers and an end target in for variable points depending on the hit strength and number of lit stars, but there wasn't room for all that in one line. This different arrangement should work well though and be encouraging to shoot for, so I don't think players would be disappointed.

#108 5 years ago

How about a time travel theme where you shoot the ball into a tunnel, the Playfield rotates to the bottom side to reveal a different Playfield representing a different time era. Pioneer time to space travel time.

#109 5 years ago

Got a solution to the in-line and lock conundrum now that arranges the features in a different way, while allowing others to still chain together in the way that I want. Turns out the biggest consideration was available space - I was also hoping to create a captive ball chamber with five star rollovers and an end target in for variable points depending on the hit strength and number of lit stars, but there wasn't room for all that in one line. This different arrangement should work well though and be encouraging to shoot for, so I don't think players would be disappointed.

I like the idea of variable strength on a captive ball (kind of like those test your strength hammer games at the carnivals), but how are you restricting the captive ball enough to not make any decent hit go all the way to the end? Sounds kind of like the Vari-Target but you have to first qualify the star switches, which is fun. Ultimately that's why spinners are fun too. They reward clean shots.

#110 5 years ago

look forward to seeing your design EalaDubhSidhe

#111 5 years ago

Either spring for Stern's new opto roll overs from TWD (if you actually build this) or use optos instead. Olds-chool rollovers are a PITA.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Either spring for Stern's new opto roll overs from TWD (if you actually build this) or use optos instead. Olds-chool rollovers are a PITA.

I assume that is why they were removed from TNA.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I like the idea of variable strength on a captive ball (kind of like those test your strength hammer games at the carnivals), but how are you restricting the captive ball enough to not make any decent hit go all the way to the end? Sounds kind of like the Vari-Target but you have to first qualify the star switches, which is fun. Ultimately that's why spinners are fun too. They reward clean shots.

I was putting them in the captive ball area because captive ball shots frequently aren't clean, and travel distance was what would create the challenge (see Mystic for a good example). It just happened to require a longer trail for the captive ball than I was able to manage, so that particular permutation with the stars has been effectively dropped.

The game is being designed with a very early-80s intent - moreso than TNA at this stage - but there would need to be a few concessions with more modern components here. The spinner for example would have to be the more modern microswitch variety that's mounted to the floor on one side, rather than the longer bracket between two posts and the weighted arm hanging down a hole. There just isn't room for the latter to work adequately. Similarly with what's been said about rollover stars, optos would be the way to go. Eject pockets will employ the 30-degree coil kicker from behind instead of the old arc-arm type that's pulled up from the front. The point is, as long as this looks like a solid-state layout, and plays like one, that's what matters here.

#114 5 years ago

Here's what I have at this point, getting close to completion with the basic VP 9.9 build and undergoing refinement and flipper playtesting. The two main things left to finish are the left orbit area to and from the magnet, where the spinner will be housed near the entrance, and the centre shot. Making a regular shot that loops around the right would be easy; the problem so far is in trying to house another lock at the top of the shot that has enough space to reliably kick out a ball when another approaches it, without risk of the other ball falling back down the centre. At one point I was looking at an up-kick hammer lower down that balls could drop into, but couldn't make enough room to fit the necessary requirements. You'll notice the centre is one of the tighter shots; this is intentional since either flipper can access it and I don't want an easy repeatable loop with a stop-start element, when there is a perfectly good repeatable orbit on the game already.

A few notes:

Captive ball chamber houses the requested in-lines, rather than the lock shot on the right, since I didn't want to copy Fathom. Instead the upper flipper feeder will encourage players to keep shooting it with three seperate features; the rollover chain, the status of which is tied to the scattered standup targets; the eject pocket at the top; and the guard target in front. Giving this target a trip coil means the in-lines don't need them; also, because the in-lines aren't in the proximity of the lock, they aren't automatically tied by default to any rules concerning multiball start, although that option still exists. Once the locks are active shoot the single drop, then shoot the top right lock behind it, shoot the lock that will go in the centre shot, then either shot to the magnet, which will release all three balls to feed to a different location.

Pop bumper area can be entered from several ways; the shooter lane, the magnet drop, the top lanes, the upper right flipper, and from various target rebounds. This will give plenty of bumper action wth multiple potential exits including a feed to the left flipper. The exposed bottom pop also negates the need for a left slingshot and should give the game a more distinct feel of its own. Dual inlanes on the left allow for a bounceback outlane in addition to this that doesn't require a gate. A ball that rolls up when caught by the left flipper should bounce quite cleanly off the inlane post and come straight back.

Also, in keeping with the early-80s feel, different post types are being kept to the minimum where possible; star posts, mini-posts and spacer spools for holding plastics and gates.

pinside v1 (resized).jpgpinside v1 (resized).jpg

#115 5 years ago

Looking very cool! Excited to see it progress!

Wish I had the talent to even know what software to use to to drawn stuff like this!

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Looking very cool! Excited to see it progress!
    Wish I had the talent to even know what software to use to to drawn stuff like this!

It's a blueprint exported from the Visual Pinball editor, with the annotations added in Photoshop.

#117 5 years ago

For a game title, I'd keep it simple and call it "Spacetime" ... we are so accustomed to hearing the term these days, but back in the early 80s, it would have been a cool name for a pin .

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Either spring for Stern's new opto roll overs from TWD

What kind of sensor did heighway use for their "switchless" playfields? It was obviously an Eddy sensor of some sort ...

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

For a game title, I'd keep it simple and call it "Spacetime" ... we are so accustomed to hearing the term these days, but back in the early 80s, it would have been a cool name for a pin .

Bally thought so in 1972.

Quoted from megadeth2600:

What kind of sensor did heighway use for their "switchless" playfields? It was obviously an Eddy sensor of some sort ...

Inductive sensor switch. Check the Alien thread where the switches have been reverse-engineered for supply as spares.

#120 5 years ago

Really interesting. Any interest in changing the 3 & 4 spot targets to drops, with a ripper hidden in there?

The Visual pinball editor...I assume you can test drive the layout?

#121 5 years ago

I like the dead sling idea. When was the last time that was used? Joker Poker, Countdown?

#122 5 years ago

Generic space themed games just grab me for some reason. Flight 2000 would be a cool remake with a standard body. What if the old zipper flippers were to make an appearance again? Flight 2000 meets Fireball?

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Really interesting. Any interest in changing the 3 & 4 spot targets to drops, with a ripper hidden in there?

It would certainly be possible to install another 3-bank there but only use two drops, Bally and Stern did similar more than once. An extra target could go behind.

#124 5 years ago

This looks to be the makings of a new Classic Stern. 2018-11-13 15_55_09-Zombie Yeti Studios - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png2018-11-13 15_55_09-Zombie Yeti Studios - Home - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pwaka1986:

Generic space themed games just grab me for some reason. Flight 2000 would be a cool remake with a standard body.

They literally did that with Gamatron. Even has the same software as Flight 2000.

#126 5 years ago

Hmm, I wonder how practical it would be to think of this exercise like a potential 'conversion kit' for an old Bally or Stern machine. It's designed to fit into the same playfield dimensions.

#127 5 years ago

They literally did that with Gamatron. Even has the same software as Flight 2000.

Right, and it wasn't super successful because the new wave of new very popular system 11's were on the way. I've played one at the Ann Arbor show, it was pretty fun.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I like the dead sling idea. When was the last time that was used? Joker Poker, Countdown?

X's & O's, I think. Two slings to toggle the targets, but neither of them fire.

#129 5 years ago

Anywhere you can get rubbered passive bumper assemblies from (the sort found on Stern Meteor)? I think I could place one in with a little rejigging.

#130 5 years ago

The Nine Ball thread and Pinball Resource gave me all the answers I need for the passive bumper, so in it goes.

#131 5 years ago

Version 2...

Centre shot complete, shootable from either flipper. Adapted a design cue from my Harlem Globetrotters in how on old Ballys a shot with a pass-through eject at the top would use a directed ball entry and a strike plate to essentially bounce the ball into the pocket, rather than risk the ball skipping over it at speed. I was hoping to be able to place the hole so that a switch trigger closeby could spit out an already locked ball before its replacement reached the hole, but I couldn't find an arrangement that was guaranteed to work within the space without risk of a fallback, a jam, or both balls ending up in play. There wasn't enough of an enclosed space to play with. Instead, the trip-coil drop target is moved from the right shot (where strictly speaking it doesn't really need to be) to the centre, where it acts as a controllable safety guard. A ball that hits the drop and comes back should land safely on the left flipper.

Squeezing in a classic-style spinner rather than having to use a more modern microswitch type was a pain in the arse, but I finally got it in.

Quite a lot of slight space compression around the lower field that you probably can't see, but it adds up to enough to place a passive bumper instead of the two targets above the pops. Gives a more interesting and unpredictable dynamic to this area.

Five standups and two three-banks of drops now become three standups (plus the bottom one which now works with the passive bumper) and three three-banks (with one drop target absent, a common Bally design tactic). The upper three and right two are linked together to act like a single five-bank, and won't reset until all five are down. This leaves the three standups now placed behind them more exposed for longer, and will be key targets in the game.

Suggested multiball rules: locks are active when all three rollovers on the right are lit by their respective behind-drop standup hits (any order the first time, in sequence for subsequent times). Lock balls in both eject pockets, then either shot to the catch magnet will release all three balls at once.

pinside v2 (resized).jpgpinside v2 (resized).jpg

#132 5 years ago

looking good.

are you open to feedback/thoughts?

#133 5 years ago

Of course - that's what it's here for. Theme isn't definitive yet either, though I have a gameplay style in mind that could work.

#134 5 years ago

First, the whole right side of the playfield is really good! Lots of great feel, geometry, and depth of shot placement for variety. The shots of the main left flipper all seem really good and will feel satisfying to hit.

I think mainly the left side of the pf needs some work (esp since most people are dominant right handed and this is a 2 flipper on the right design). The pops area is too congested and this side of the pf needs one very satisfying shot IMHO.

A few thoughts in order of what I perceive as needing to be tweaked.

1. Left outlane/nudge back is reminiscent of Alien. This did not work very well on alien. It felt more like pliko than a real nudge back. Good nudgebacks include Viking, Centaur, and fathom IMHO. Best to borrow from those. The left outlane area also seems too constricted and I dont think the ball will go out there much.

2. Passive bumpers are not satisfying to hit. How about a stand up kicker in this position instead (like on Stargate). With the right angle it could give some good action.

3. Need a shorter depth of field shot from left flipper (diagram coming for a suggestion)

#135 5 years ago

strong left flipper designed shots primaries in red, secondaries in green.
    nice layout and depth of playfield.

Left main shots (resized).jpgLeft main shots (resized).jpg

#136 5 years ago

I would like to see 1 more left flipper main shot that is a shorter depth of field, creates outlane risk, and can be used sparingly (think EB on Whitewater; death but worth the risk sometimes)

needs geometry tweaks but this gives you an idea.

1 more left flipper shot (resized).jpg1 more left flipper shot (resized).jpg
    #137 5 years ago

now the right flipper shots.

Here is where I see the upper left of pf being under used, lacking a main satisfying shot, and why I conclude it needs adjustment/ a change from current.

Still brainstorming possible solutions and will draw something later when I get a chance to provide some of my ideas.

Again, really LIKE what I am seeing here and the whole right side of pf is VERY strong!

Right main shots (resized).jpgRight main shots (resized).jpg
    #138 5 years ago

The position of the pops area is countered by the flipper offset from the centre, and with two right flippers the shot density and flipper usage is about even. Personally I love this pop arrangement and the unpredictability it gives - I'd say there was also enough of a hazard from the exposed pop aiming at the right outlane. Thus if I was going to put an additional risk-reward shot in and not make the difficulty more excessive it would have to be from the right flipper to a target placed in front of the bottom pop, but I don't think you'd really want that.

I'm also trying to keep the total coil/solenoid count to sixteen or less (because reasons) - that's one factor for the passive bumper, and just by being there it'll generate more pop bumper activity. In fact, rebound angles and ball direction into the pops has been given the highest design priority here. Plus, it isn't often that pops are used as potential flow devices (if ever).

There is a strong right flipper shot; it's the spinner with the potential for repeated loops. Give that some build-up score potential and players will be shooting for that all day long.

#139 5 years ago

In fact, rebound angles and ball direction into the pops has been given the highest design priority here. Plus, it isn't often that pops are used as potential flow devices (if ever).

can you draw up some ball path entrance/exit from pop bumpers so I can better understand?

My thought is that the congestion of the pops make them very predicable in path. I personally am not a fan of the Stern cluster and much prefer the chaos of old Bally or TNA type pop. I like when you have to deal with the ramifications of a poorly places pop shot (or forced to hit a pop and have to be ready with a random and exposed exit).

Right now I see the black paths as predictable and the red as the only random (and top bumper provides a "safe" random since high up on pf). To me, that is a bunch of coils and space being used for something that kind of cuts out the whol left 1/3 of the pf area.

pop flow (resized).jpgpop flow (resized).jpg
    #140 5 years ago

Well you're missing the exit between the left drops and the bottom pop, which has an exit arc that's most likely to hit the slingshot. Also any upward bump from the top pop to the right side of the passive will exit down and to the right, which has a much wider arc. It's another key factor for the passive being there rather than angled standups, and overall the bumper effects are a lot less predictable than you think.

#141 5 years ago

Possible alternative: remove the bottom pop, push the other pops down a little to make room for the passive bumper to be replaced by the missing pop to bring it back to three, then in the vacated space on the lower left, place a pair of spinning posts which the player can shoot for, and the pops will also hit to randomise the ball.

#142 5 years ago

OK, so a quick experiment with spinning post produces some... results. Couldn't say for sure yet whether it makes things any better in the lower area without more organising, but it's an intriguing dynamic, you definitely want to shoot for them, and they do act as a 'bumper' in their own right.

#143 5 years ago

Version 3: The Search For Compromise (aka Cracked It With The Spinning Posts).

You probably can't tell from the blueprint, but GODDAMN what a difference those spinning posts make when put in the right place. Yes they block the pops off a bit and make them less exposed, but more than make up for in acting as a randomising factor in its own right that the player *will* want to shoot at when called upon to as a risk/reward feature. Necessary to this was a complete overhaul of the left inlane/outlane area since the potential flow back to the flipper has been radically altered and a lot less predictable; opening up the area and creating a crossover arrangement while keeping three lanes was the way to do it. Kept the passive bumper because ner, I like it. In fact the only thing that's actually gone is the namby-pamby bottom target that you don't miss.

I'm going to be frank here; I've been playtesting the digital VP 9.9 version and I REALLY like the way it flips. For me, it hits that sweet spot where there's clearly plenty to do with enough different features, but doesn't feel overly crowded - pretty much everything on the game looks like it belongs there. It's not 'perfect' yet, bound to need a few refinements and balance tweaks here and there, and obviously you can't judge it for sure the same way as an actual whitewood; but at this point as far as base layout goes, I'd be confident in calling it finished enough to move onto the next step - drawing up CAD diagrams so that said whitewood could be built up by a team, as long as all the necessary parts were available.

pinside v3.jpgpinside v3.jpg

#144 5 years ago

nice adjustments!

#145 5 years ago

Space Force theme.

#146 5 years ago

I suppose the next thing I could do would be to mock up an insert layout. I know most 'classic' games, even extravagantly artistic ones like Centaur or Fathom, utilise the theme on a surface level and the inserts don't represent anything other than build-up points, bonuses and multipliers. Personally I prefer the kind of letter-spotting rules that link the whole playfield to the bonus so everything has value in being shot for. Spellouts however need more relevancy to the theme, at least in name. What do people prefer?

#147 5 years ago

I guess another better question would also be, without a theme attached yet how many Pinsiders would be looking at this layout and thinking "I'd want to play this"?

#148 5 years ago

Is this a place a ball might get stuck if it was was going slow? Kicking the post out a small amount would solve that it if needed.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #149 5 years ago

Here's another spot that a ball might might get trapped

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #150 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Is this a place a ball might get stuck if it was was going slow? Kicking the post out a small amount would solve that it if needed. [quoted image]

Good questions.

The ball against the rubber could sit on the centre point of the shaft, but the only time such a trap would be conceivable during play is if the pop failed to fire. Bumper skirts when set up properly are raised above the playfield floor, and the trigger radius of the bumper is wider than the shaft in the centre. The skirt is also spring mounted and has its own push against the ball. There's not to say that such a trap can't occur in any game, it's not actually difficult to set a ball against a pop on any old game that's switched off and have it sit there in equillibrium.

In the second example, the trap can't happen unless the gate was to be physically opened and the ball stuck under it. Again, you couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't ever happen, but a simple nudge would be sufficient to release the ball for either trap if it actually did.

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-design-a-new-bally-stern-classic-game-gt-what-theme/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.