(Topic ID: 230233)

let me hear some quality sounding music (for headphones).

By rai

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.39.54 am (resized).png
bridge (resized).jpg
51Aeds4OHTL (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I'm interested in some ideas of new (to me) music to buy.

I'm a big Pink Floyd, NIN, Bowie fan while I have a lot of the classic rock music like Led Zeppelin, Stones, Sabbath, Queen etc..

I was just listening (with headphones) to the Rodger Waters CD Amused to Death which I've listened to a bunch but not with headphones and I was picking up things I'd never heard before (usually in a crappy car or iPod type earbuds).

My favorite NIN is ‘The Fragile'

I like all Pink Floyd generally like 'Animals, The Wall, Wish you were here, The Final Cut' I know Dark side is well regarded but to me the other are my go to Floyd.

I hear Porcupine Tree is supposed to be like Floyd and I was reading something of Radiohead is supposed to be great.

So if you could give me some ideas like what's some great artists/albums that are in the Floyd/NIN and Bowie I may not have tried before.

***Especially interested in music that really can get more from with nice headphones.

51Aeds4OHTL (resized).jpg51Aeds4OHTL (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, especially Animals.

Try Yes album Fragile. I think you would enjoy that.

#3 5 years ago

I loved Pink Floyd when I started out, and still think they are great, but man there is so much more out there. Run, do not walk, to get Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" - it's their most accessible album, and has phenomenal songs on it. Then try "Deadwing" which is way more progressive. Or "Stupid Dream" .. Aah, you kinda can't go wrong.

Check out the band "Muse" who have the most Queen influences of any band I've heard in 25 years. They are not as musically complex from a harmonic/rhythmic perspective, but there is so much going on, layers, tones, vocals, effects, it's crazy. Songs are outstanding, and huge variety of styles put together in inventive ways. Great band.

If you like really complex anthemic music, there's always Dream Theater. One of my favorite bands of all time is called "Cynic". They put out an album in 1993 "Focus" (make sure you find the non-remastered version, or youtube it), it is complex, layered, crazy arrangements, death metal jazz. Unstoppable. Their 20-years-later follow up "Traced In Air" is equally as powerful.

The best progressive rock band I've found in the last couple of years is "Riverside" I believe they are from Poland. Every time I hear their stuff I hear new amazing sections I never noticed before. If you like them, also check out the Von Hertzen Brothers. this is another sounds-like-nothing-else band. great songs too.

Also check out my band soon

And my favorite Finnish band is Amorphis. I dig Nightwish quite a bit too, but have to be in the right mood.

#4 5 years ago

In my whole collection of 8000 discs, the best headphone disc by far is Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs

The mix is perfect. Not too bright or sizzley. Bass is solid but not exaggerated.

And most importantly, there are no filler tracks - you can safely let the entire disc play.

-
-

BTW, here is a pic of the actual Bridge of Signs from last month:

bridge (resized).jpgbridge (resized).jpg

#5 5 years ago

All Waters bow to The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.
Clapton's guitar on 4:41 am (Sexual Revolution) is a classic.
Def a headphone album

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

All Waters bow to The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.
Clapton's guitar on 4:41 am (Sexual Revolution) is a classic.
Def a headphone album

I’m a big fan of that album, The final Cut as well.

#8 5 years ago

Floyd is my favorite. Have you listened to Alan Parsons Project? He was the engineer on Dark side of the moon.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I hear Porcupine Tree is supposed to be like Floyd and I was reading something of Radiohead is supposed to be great.

Porcupine Tree was incredible, easily my favorite band of the last 20 years. They did trippy Floyd stuff to metal, to progressive.

I would start with Lightbulp Sun and Deadwing. Those are the two best. Shame they are no more.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadwing-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B0752Z38G2/ref=sr_1_1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07532DJ5Z/ref=pd_mp3_als_qp_pa

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Porcupine Tree was incredible, easily my favorite band of the last 20 years. Shame they are no more.

for now - SW said they are merely "Sleeping"

#11 5 years ago

Hey @Rai, which headphones are you using and in what format of music? Not necessarily an audiophile but i just paired my Shure 846's with a bluetooth cable that has a DAC hooked up to it and it makes a big difference. I have been listening to some lossless format music and that brings out a lot of quality I have not heard before.

As for music for the bands that you mentioned, a lot of the newer remastered stuff tends to bring more to the table. Take a look at Nathaniel Rateliff and the Nightsweats (they sang that song SOB that was pretty popular a few years back). He and his band are pretty tight.

#12 5 years ago

have a few headphones but something like Sennheiser HD600

Not sure the others but in that range.

I typically listen on CD but suppose if there was a higher definition format that would play on a Bluray player? or is the remastered CDs ok?

I'm not sure about lossless format, would I download onto a thumb drive and play on my AVR USB port?

#13 5 years ago

For headphones?

There is only one album, that reigns supreme..
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.39.54 am (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.39.54 am (resized).png

Mike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover (resized).jpgMike_oldfield_tubular_bells_album_cover (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

check out bowers and Wilkins society of sound. everything is audiophile grade and uncompressed. wide range of artists and genres

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

have a few headphones but something like Sennheiser HD600
Not sure the others but in that range.
I typically listen on CD but suppose if there was a higher definition format that would play on a Bluray player? or is the remastered CDs ok?
I'm not sure about lossless format, would I download onto a thumb drive and play on my AVR USB port?

Nice headphones. I really don’t know about cds and blurays as I have not bought either in years but I believe there are some higher definition media available.

Check out his article from cnet that describes lossless music and various ways to listen to it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-flac-the-high-def-mp3-explained/

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

or is the remastered CDs ok?

Generally, remastered CDs are worse than the earlier releases.

They compress the sound more (so if you do an A/B, the remaster will sound louder), but the compression destroys the dynamic range.

So the best version of Dark Side of the Moon is the MoFi version from decades ago, not the 12th repackaged remaster

-

The Zep remasters sound better than the original CDs, but unfortunately, Zep stuff sounds terrible to begin with.
-

Quoted from rai:

'm not sure about lossless format, would I download onto a thumb drive and play on my AVR USB port?

You can get Flac files with many times the resolution over CDs.

you can play them from a stereo receiver's usb port, or a dedicated player:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/audiophile-ipod-299-sale-pioneer-xdp100r/page/7#post-4615049

#17 5 years ago

If you want to see what musical tracks are available in 24/96 (compared to CDs crummy 16/44) search here with HDTRACKS in the box

http://www.nzbindex.nl/search/?q=hdtracks

#18 5 years ago

Blues Traveler Self Titled Album. Sounds great on a quality sound system. Nice warm bass, and Popper on the harp is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Blues-Traveler/dp/B000002GJ0

#19 5 years ago

Slow Ride

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-me-hear-some-quality-sounding-music-for-headphones-?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.