Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TigerLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I learned a lesson recently from a failed sale of a pin...
    Buyer sent me a deposit for a pin, using regular PayPal. I'm immediately charged $3.20 for accepting this deposit.

Buyer goes dark on me and a week later, tells me that they don't know when they can come pay for it and pick it up.

Lesson#1 - right there, I should have canceled the sale and refunded the deposit, which would have cost me a total of $6.40.

Lesson #2 - regarding Lesson 1, I should have clearly stated from the get go, that the deposit was non- refundable after x number of days.

Another week goes by and after emailing them numerous times, they respond that they will send a 2nd deposit. They do. And then they go dark again.

Lesson #3 - never accept a 2nd deposit, unless there are terms or you have infinity to wait on the actual sale.

Lesson #3b - learn from previous lesson, so there won't be anymore lessons to learn.

Yet another week goes by and nothing. I then decide to refund the deposits and cancel the sale.

I refund their deposit. PayPal takes their cut off the top, of $6.40, so the Buyer doesn't quite get a full refund. I never quite got full deposits, either. Again, my fault for not adding that surcharge on to the Buyer, initially.

After refunding the money, I immediately hear from Buyer (imagine that), and they've drummed up another excuse. At this point, I don't care. However, Buyer files a claim with PayPal for $6.40, the cost of using PayPal.

I contested it and of course, just lost. So, a slacker Buyer cost me a total of $12.80, but I'll chaulk that up to the cost of lessons learned, which are:

F PayPal and their fees
    And
    Always, ALWAYS lay out terms in writing regarding deposits and sales of anything.

This could have been a lot worse, I know.

#2 2 years ago

Yeah man that sucks. Stupid Paypal and their stupid ass fees. I only had good success with these situations if I call PayPal and talk to someone live and explain then they may change something in your favor.

#3 2 years ago

While you only got "ripped off" for 12.80, here are lessons many others have learned:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#4 2 years ago

What a pain in the ass; sure the monetary damage is minimal, but the hassle and stress of the ordeal can really take a toll.

I learned long ago (via experience) that pinball seems to attract more than its fair share of scumbags for some reason, and decided that "cash on the glass" with in-person pickup was the only way I'd sell. Sure it takes longer, but the peace of mind is well worth it! In addition to minimizing the odds of being ripped off and/or dealing with Paypal/bank ridiculousness, it helps to ensure that the buyer can't reasonably accuse the seller of misrepresenting condition or concealing damage/malfunctions; it also seems to help stem the tide of "tire kickers" and other non-serious people spamming with silly questions or ridiculous requests.

There are simply too many ways that things can go off the rails with Paypal, cashier's checks (can be forged), bank transfers (can be reversed after the fact due to insufficient funds), and money orders (potential fraud).

#5 2 years ago

Paypal is terrible, I was thrilled when eBay dumped them. Ultimately when I sold my pins I didn't use payment services, didn't accept payment schedules, didn't accept the various methods people pitched to me to buy my games. I kept it super simple, want the game? Cool, bring cash and come take it. I'm not a bank, corporation or storage center, I don't have the facilities to deal with payments and paperwork or to hold the game for a buyer, if you really want it then just come get the game. I "lost" many potential buyers that way, with lost in quotes because I doubt many of them ever actually intended to buy. The minute someone would add a complication I would always politely decline the sale and move on. The people that did buy were for real and the transactions were simple as it should be.

#6 2 years ago

Cash on the glass or bust. If I take a deposit though PayPal for a buyer I have never met before, it's Venmo or PayPal friends and family only. When they pick up the game, I send that back in the same format and get the agreed upon price in cash.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

What a pain in the ass; sure the monetary damage is minimal, but the hassle and stress of the ordeal can really take a toll.

That was definitely the worst part of it - the hassle. I don't need anymore of that in my life.

Quoted from Thermionic:

I learned long ago (via experience) that pinball seems to attract more than its fair share of scumbags for some reason

I had firsthand experience with that about 25 years ago at an auction. I was selling a Power Play and a Qbert. I caught some little kids meddling in the back of Qbert, disconnecting stuff, etc. Those kids were taught how to do that by some troglodyte father, no doubt. Then, someone cut the power cord on the Power Play, soon before it was up for auction. I raised hell with the auctioneer and told them they better find a plug for it fast. I swore off selling at auctions after that.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from illudiumQ36:

Buyer files a claim with PayPal for $6.40

I completely believe that this happened, but it's still unbelievable.

#9 2 years ago

If someone wants to give me a deposit to hold a game, it had better be cash-equivalent. PayPal F&F or Zelle.

#10 2 years ago

You got off easy. $12.50 he's out of your life forever.

No way of knowing the hell you'd be in if he actually got the game. And then wasn't happy or a switch needed adjusting.

LTG : )

#11 2 years ago

So besides Cash.......if your selling a pin from someone local or shipping. What is the best way to accept payment and not get scammed ? Thx

#12 2 years ago

Jeezus I can only imagine what the rest of this kind of person’s life is like. Must be an unholy dumpster fire of half finished nonsense.

#13 2 years ago

#1 Is this paypals fault?? Did I miss something? You took the deposit via paypal as an accepted form of payment? Looks like your fault.

#2 It is pretty standard in the pinball world to keep deposits on backed out transactions. I have done it several times and the people who paid deposits where totally fine with it for the inconvenience. A friend of mine got to keep a $1500 deposit on a $6k game one time.

#14 2 years ago

Try disputing it with PayPal and indicate the deposit was non-refundable. Who cares at this point? Tell the scumbags at PayPal whatever they want to hear and get your money back.

I had a friend who sent money to a scammer on PayPal and PayPal sided with the scammer. I’ve NEVER see them deny the “buyer” until then. It’s such a shitty company

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

#1 Is this paypals fault?? Did I miss something? You took the deposit via paypal as an accepted form of payment? Looks like your fault.
    #2 It is pretty standard in the pinball world to keep deposits on backed out transactions. I have done it several times and the people who paid deposits where totally fine with it for the inconvenience. A friend of mine got to keep a $1500 deposit on a $6k game one time.

#1 - Did you not read my post? This is a self-admitted lessons learned from me. Yes, I did say PayPal sucks, because they do. Since I sent a refund of money that was already charged a fee once, it seems shifty to me that they'd charge me again. It's even more shifty that the buyer was recouping that money from me when they were the ones who ghosted me when I tried to make contact with them.

#2 - The buyer didn't technically back out, because they kept stringing me along. Had they actually said they weren't going to buy it, then I'd have kept the deposit. But keeping money and not producing a pin in exchange, would have left me open for even more buckshot.

The short of it is, that I was tired of waiting for one buyer to actually show up and pay me and haul my pin away. How long would you have waited?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtp78:

So besides Cash.......if your selling a pin from someone local or shipping. What is the best way to accept payment and not get scammed ? Thx

I still accept personal checks when selling a game, I mandate however that the check clears before the game leaves (and I mean really clears, not simply funds made available...usually takes about a week after deposit is made but can take several weeks on occasion).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lesson-learned-on-selling?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.