3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by WMSpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1518_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Leanrned a valueable lesson last night- The Backbox is not a storage shelf. If you put things on top, gravity will laugh at you!

Enjoy,

Mike V.

IMG_1518_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Nothing hurt but pride........and yes, gravity is a bitch sometimes.

#3 3 years ago

ouch.

#4 3 years ago

Good to know, I'll have to find another place to store my bowling balls.

#5 3 years ago

Ouch. Good luck cleaning that up, I bet you'll discover crevasses you didn't even know existed on that game

#6 3 years ago

I sure hope that wasn't PDI glass

#7 3 years ago

Damn.

I had the backbone glass crash down once and that was about the worst cleanup ever. Doesn't compare to play field cleaning, though. God speed.

#8 3 years ago

I'm gonna learn from your mistake on this one,will be adjusting game room after work now.
    Mike

#9 3 years ago

Oh boy, sorry to see this.

#10 3 years ago

I hope I never go though this. GLWCU. Gravity is a bitch...just ask the Ladies.

#11 3 years ago

What was it that you didn't have velcro'd down that took a nose dive?

#12 3 years ago

If you really want to have things stacked above backboxes, you could put a small shelf on the wall. I've seen a few folks actually do that. Just remember to leave room for toppers

#13 3 years ago

That's a PITA to clean up .... best way I know is find a friend, pull the playfield out, and then both of you lift it out of the cabinet, and rotate upside down and SHAKE .... shake .... shake ....

That gets most of it ...

You'll have to pull all the tunnels off underneath too ... those little cubes go everywhere.

#14 3 years ago

Wow, what was it that hit the glass hard enough to shatter it? It usually takes an edge impact to set it off, and the edges would be unexposed with the glass installed. I've seen videos of guys suspending a sheet between two wood blocks and hitting the middle with hammers and jumping on it to no avail, but one light edge tap and blamo!

#15 3 years ago

Oooooooooohhhhhhh look at all the pretty diamonds

#16 3 years ago

I was "smart" enough to put a wireless rock speaker up there for temporary storage for the winter. Pins are in the garage and TOTAN is the first game by the door that leads in to the house so its really easy access. So long story short, a big rock went through the glass.

Update - New glass is on the way and cleanup seems to have gone well. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to get the powder residue off the ramps and playfield without grinding it in further. I used a shopvac and a compressor with an air nozzle attachment. I'm sure I didn't get it all and will be finding some hidden gems for a long, long time

Quoted from DanQverymuch:Wow, what was it that hit the glass hard enough to shatter it? It usually takes an edge impact to set it off, and the edges would be unexposed with the glass installed. I've seen videos of guys suspending a sheet between two wood blocks and hitting the middle with hammers and jumping on it to no avail, but one light edge tap and blamo!

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from WMSpin:

'm sure I didn't get it all and will be finding some hidden gems for a long, long time

Lay the pieces out on the floor and jigsaw them together. You might have all the pieces, so no worries

Sorry, that stinks.
    faz

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from WMSpin:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to get the powder residue off the ramps and playfield without grinding it in further.

I'd probably just use several microfiber towels, throwing them away occasionally to avoid accumulating too much in the fibers.

#19 3 years ago

You can also roll tape backwards around your hand sticky side out and go over everything lightly. You won't get it all but you will get some.

#20 3 years ago

Been there.

#21 3 years ago

I've never been there pf-glass wise, but from cleaning drywall dust out of equipment, I second the tape-tack method, for places you have access to.

Otherwise a damp microfiber towel could work for the tighter areas. Wedge the towel into places and the liquid tension within the fibers should pull whatever it contacts with.

Another method I have found especially useful for cleaning fragile models with intricate details and recessed line patterns, etc, is to use children's "toy slime". But viscosity is key: there used to be something called "Gak" that was thinner than silly putty, but thicker than toy ecto-plasm... that was perfect but I don't know what's available now. Anyway that stuff would gently settle, pool, and form-fit over every surface, but then pull up in one piece with every loose bit of dust or crud attached to it. So it made a super effective yet gentle physical cleaner with no scrubbing or abrasion. It did not normally leave an offensive residue but obviously test it first.

I imagine other inaccessible glass bits will get shaken loose with the natural shocks and vibrations of the game, so check periodically for a while.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

I imagine other inaccessible glass bits will get shaken loose with the natural shocks and vibrations of the game, so check periodically for a while.

Yes, you're going to be finding yet more little bits of glass and dust for weeks ... it's unfortunately just part of the process ... basically take the glass off and re-vacuum weekly until it largely stops filtering out.

1 year later
    #23 1 year ago

Been well over a year and I'm still pulling glass of the TOTAN - I don't know where these broken pieces hide, but I'm guessing it's the same place my socks go when I put them in the dryer.

MV

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside