(Topic ID: 326324)

Less Desirable Game That's Incomplete - What Do You Do With It?

By NeonNoodle

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Less Desirable but Incomplete Machine - What Do You Do With It?”

• Move it along to someone else as a hopeful project. 15 votes
      68%
    • Part it. 3 votes
      14%
    • Darn it, I'm restoring this thing no matter what, at any cost. 4 votes
      18%

(22 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
    IMG_0228 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0280 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0181 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0190 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neonnoodle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Was curious about opinions on the ever present question that hits restorers of everything, including pins: What do you do with a less desirable/valuable game that is incomplete but otherwise in decent restorable shape? Say it's missing something significant like a backglass that is difficult, impossible, or expensive to find. What do you do with the machine?

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the input so far. I was leaning towards two ideas already expressed here: I wanted to repurpose the playfield into an illuminated wallhanger, and then save the rest for parts. I have other machines from the same year of production and same manufacturer (Williams) that would certainly have commonality of many parts.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

P.S. I would be incredibly interested to know the game and missing part(s)

It's a Williams Casanova with missing backglass. And lock down bar, but that's not a problem.

Quoted from Daditude:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt the OP was referring to whether or not it was 'worth' it.
    When words like valuable, desirable, and expensive all come into play (as they did in the opening post)...I have to assume that is the case.
    Of course, if anything is a personal pursuit, a certain self satisfaction could be derived...even if you have more into it than it is worth.

It's a bit of both. I don't think this machine is particularly desirable or valuable (despite the unusual bagatelle in the head). If the backglass was there and decent, I wouldn't even think of this as a potential parts machine. I'll put massive time and effort to save a machine and have done it many times in the past, and thoroughly enjoy that part of the hobby, but the question is wider. I've come across other less desirable (often non-big three EM manufacturer) machines that are missing the backglass and no one is reproducing one for the particular machine. What happens to those machines? And, if I could find a backglass for the Casanova and it was $300, would I do it? Not sure.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neonnoodle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/less-desirable-game-that-s-incomplete-what-do-you-do-with-it?tu=neonnoodle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.