New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268064)

Leons test eprom works but still wont boot

By newtoit

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by newtoit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Ive been chasing down an issue with a Data East TMNT with rev 3 cpu board.
I have both a Data East test eprom from marco and a system 11 test eprom from Leon Borre.

Neither worked, I resocketed the game roms (5B, 5C) Ram (5D) and the cpu (3D). And a few other chips. But after replacing the buffer 74LS274 (5C) Leons System 11 test booted. The PIA and control led flashes and the 5v is solid. All PIA outputs are correct.
When I put the Data East test in the cpu is locked up 5V and PIA stay lit. When I put the game roms they stay lit as well.

When I go thru with Leons Data East guide all signals are correct.

I read that you can use the system 11 test in data east cpu. But why would the system 11 test work but the data east and game roms will not?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I will respond asap if you need more information.

#2 5 months ago

I don’t remember if Leon’s test includes a memory test. But if it does, give that a try. The regular game software is trying to access features that Leon’s test does not.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 5 months ago

On a whim I switched the jumper from j4 to j5 and now the data east test worked. The pia started blinking, then the pia turned off and the blanking light came on and the relay clicked.
Not what I was expecting. I thought the pia was supposed to continuosly blink

#4 5 months ago

I was using Leons Data East directions but my data east test is not Leons.
I found the correct directions and it states you must change the jumper to j5. Leons states that his test can work with either jumper j4 or j5.

The other data east directions also state that the number of blinks corresponds to the PIA at fault which for me 6 blinks means its the display pia at 11B. Ill swap it out tomorrow and retry.
Making progress!

#5 5 months ago

Thank you ChrisHibler ive been using your resources now and in the past. Youve helped me and others countless times bring machines back from the dead. I really appreciate your quick response and all the information you provide on the web.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I don’t remember if Leon’s test includes a memory test. But if it does, give that a try. The regular game software is trying to access features that Leon’s test does not.

It does by generating an /NMI -> pull down pin 6 to GND at the 6802/6808 CPU for a brief moment. The test should stop and resume after a moment if the RAM is tested okay. But it is just an indicator. Leon didn't code a RAM test through the entire range of the RAM.

Leon's ROM doesn't test the IRQ generator. If that one is not working a regular gamerom won't start.

#7 5 months ago

I tested the memory by way of grounding pin 6 and it behaved correctly.
For future reference how do you test the IRQ? Without an oscilloscope...

#8 5 months ago

I replaced the display pia at 11b and the adjacent pia at 9b both pia for the display. But the test still comes back with 6 led flashes.
Any suggestions on what to investigate? What signals should I be looking for to track down the issue.

#9 5 months ago

I cant tell how many times its blinking. Is there video of what the correct amount of blinks looks like.

At power on the pia led comes on. Then off then long blink then 6 blinks.
Then it seems like it resets. Pia comes on off then long blink the 6 blinks.
Then the pia turns off and blanking lights solid.

Is that 6,7, or 8 blinks of the led. I assumed it was 6 but after reading the guide it could be 7 or even 8 with those long blinks.
Anyone have a video of the correct blinking

#10 5 months ago

From what i can tell the flashing means that all the pia are good. The pia light would blink a certain number of times then stay on if one of the pia was bad. Mine turns off and then the blanking turns on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 29.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside