8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3719.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Aside from EMs, which solid state games can you set on 5-ball without being called out? I'm going with:

Black Knight (if set to hardest settings)
Firepower
Black Hole

Any others?

#2 8 years ago

I've got my BK set to 5-ball, and requiring:

- all 12 arrows lit to qualify extra ball
- lower playfield turnaround to qualify lock

I'm enjoying it this way, even though it's been on 3-ball for most of its life.

#3 8 years ago

Road show is the only game I have set to 5 balls, if set to 3 ball I hit the same combination of modes time and time again.

#4 8 years ago

I think WOZ is a legit 5-ball game, to have any chance to make it through.

#5 8 years ago

We have our bally Eight Ball set to 5. It may be because we clearcoated it but it's ridiculously hard.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think WOZ is a legit 5-ball game, to have any chance to make it through.

If I had one at home I'd probably put it on 5. I'd like to see more of the game but at a buck a play 3 balls feels like a rip.

#7 8 years ago

Evel Knievel is harder to light the spinners on 5 ball

Joker Poker makes each of the 5 target banks valuable for 5x bonus.

Of course both games have EM versions as well, so maybe they don't count

#8 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe

#9 8 years ago

Dragonfist would be legitimate.
Paragon, Future Spa and Space Invaders could be legitimate as well.

Marcus

#10 8 years ago

In league we had Genie and Paragon on 5 ball but we don't allow extra balls to be played on 5 ball games. You have to plunge and step away from the pin.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Dragonfist would be legitimate.
Paragon, Future Spa and Space Invaders could be legitimate as well.
Marcus

Yes, Dragonfist for sure. Just 11 more months before I get to play it again!

#12 8 years ago

#13 8 years ago

I'll go out on a limb and say that 5-ball is fine for any SS pin made before 1981. I can't think of any of those that I would call "too easy", if set up properly.

#14 8 years ago

I played that one and rolled it on ball 2. Next...

#15 8 years ago

Joker Poker, because of the 5x bonus rules.

Otherwise, I even used to set my eight ball with a powerball for 3 balls!

Gotta love those sub-50k games that seem to pop up on 3-ball paragon...

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

Joker Poker, because of the 5x bonus rules.

Agree. You can throw my "0" out the window.

#17 8 years ago

EBD, Playboy, Strikes and Spares

#18 8 years ago

Nothing. I'll take WoZ because I have to pay a buck to play it.

#19 8 years ago

I am no pinball wizard . I have through the years set many of my pinball machines to (4) ball play. WOZ I think would be a five ball game if I owed one . On my route however I always set my pinballs to 3 ball play. $$$$.

#20 8 years ago

Bally Centaur!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Road Show is the only game I have set to 5 balls, if set to 3 ball I hit the same combination of modes time and time again.

Have you tried leaving it on 3 ball but turn on the direct route option in the menu?
really mixes it up

#22 8 years ago

Actually I think pretty much any non-EM should be set to 3-ball. SS versions of EM's...maybe set to 5-ball.

#23 8 years ago

All of my Classic Bally games are set to 5 ball because I suck and these games are not as easy as they seem! LOL!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3719.jpgIMG_3719.jpg

#24 8 years ago

There are few games that I'd consider 5 ball (em's included), but two that come to mind that should be are Solar Fire, and Flight 2000 because there's so many hoops to go thru just to get multi-ball.

#26 8 years ago

Elektra could be set to 5. Its a pretty tough game. However mine is set to 3 because I like a good challenge.

#27 8 years ago

All of them....and while you are at it, disable the tilts and set them to free play!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've got my BK set to 5-ball, and requiring:
- all 12 arrows lit to qualify extra ball
- lower playfield turnaround to qualify lock
I'm enjoying it this way, even though it's been on 3-ball for most of its life.

Is there a setting that blocks the "plunge, hold UR to pass to UL flipper, lock ball, rinse/repeat" exploit?

#29 8 years ago

Only SS we have on 5 ball is Big Game. The upper pegs are missing from the outlanes and EBs are disabled, so it works out. Game will still kick your ass most of the time, but it's possible to bust off a good game and get into the second set of cards occasionally.

#30 8 years ago

The only SS games I can remember playing back in the day (and I played way too much back then) that were at one time set to five ball play were all Ballys - KISS, Star Trek, and Playboy.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Is there a setting that blocks the "plunge, hold UR to pass to UL flipper, lock ball, rinse/repeat" exploit?

Yes, he described it. Lower pf turnaround lights lock. Completely changes the game.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

The only SS games I can remember playing back in the day (and I played way too much back then) that were at one time set to five ball play were all Ballys - KISS, Star Trek, and Playboy.

When we played in the 80s it was all 5 ball for $.25 ...including Pinbot and Cyclone. Then the prices jumped to $.50 and 3 ball. Just like they gave you less chips in a bag for a higher price. Rat bastards.

#33 8 years ago

I don't think there is any point in debating what games are "appropriate" for 5-ball play. If they have 3-ball rules and 5-ball rules and the setting is allowable then do whatever you want. My JM can be set up to ten balls and unlimited extra balls with infinite free-play buy ins. Do I do that? No, it's not fun. If it's too hard and you get frustrated, then change it to whatever suits you. The same applies if your games are going too long and getting grindy. You should always be striving to make your games harder and defeat them anyways. Whenever I make my leaderboard I adjust things to be slightly harder. That way I know when I hit that GC again I really earned it.

If you own a machine, set it up so that it gives you and the people you want playing the machine the enjoyment you want. You can have a 5-ball Stern with the outlanes opened up and post rubbers removed and a whisper tilt and it'll be much harder than the same game with more forgiving settings on 3-ball. If your significant other likes playing more on 5-ball, then definitely do it.

#34 8 years ago

I had my baby pacman on five lives for the longest time. Just switched it down to 3 and left on extra lives. That game is definitely hard enough to leave on 5 lives.

#35 8 years ago

I have all my games set to 5 balls

#36 8 years ago

I have one SS exception for the 5 ball rule and that is Joker Poker. Granted this is an EM-vintage PF design, but the reason I have the game set to 5 balls has to do with the game's rules.

Ball 1, shoot the single "10" drop target.
Ball 2, shoot the two "J" drop targets.
Ball 3, shoot the three "Q" drop targets.
Ball 4, shoot the four "K" (including that pesky lower right hand one) drop targets.
Ball 5, shoot the five "A and joker" drop targets in the upper left hand corner of the PF.

This ruleset requires you to shoot all over the table and utilize the entire design of the deck. If the game was set to 3 ball, only the 10, Q and A-joker targets would need to be dropped. So in this case, I will make an exception to the SS 3 ball rule. This game really shines with the 5 ball ruleset!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Yes, he described it. Lower pf turnaround lights lock. Completely changes the game.

Ahh ok, missed that in the list. That would definitely make the game more interesting!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

All of my Classic Bally games are set to 5 ball because I suck and these games are not as easy as they seem! LOL!

IMHO just about all the classic Ballys are perfect on 5 ball. A 4 player game on Flash Gordon set to 5 ball is still way shorter than a single ball on modern DMDs when you have good players around.

#39 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe - brutal pops and outlanes mean very fast ball times. Even making proper shots will sometimes result in a drain!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Eight Ball Deluxe - brutal pops and outlanes mean very fast ball times. Even making proper shots will sometimes result in a drain!

Yeah, that's why the old games need 5 balls, they punish you for making the shot you wanted to sometimes.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I'm not changing mine to 5 ball, but this is absolutely true. I cannot count the number of times I have drained sdtm after hitting a lit 8 ball target.

Sorry. My quoting button is messed.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Sounds a lot like Walking Dead...

I've played EBD plenty and it's not THAT bad. No rubbers on the outlane guides, sure, but it rarely drains directly from the inline standups or Eight Ball shot. The pop configuration is exposed but definitely set up so that when you're coming from the top of the playfield it's unlikely to get a center or side drain.

Also, personally I wouldn't want EBD on five-ball. The bonus holdover rules are generous enough with extra balls available from a pretty safe shot. That type of nonlinear scoring gets out of whack quick when you add extra balls.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm not changing mine to 5 ball, but this is absolutely true. I cannot count the number of times I have drained sdtm after hitting a lit 8 ball target.
Sorry. My quoting button is messed.

Was that even from this string?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Sounds a lot like Walking Dead...
I've played EBD plenty and it's not THAT bad. No rubbers on the outlane guides, sure, but it rarely drains directly from the inline standups or Eight Ball shot. The pop configuration is exposed but definitely set up so that when you're coming from the top of the playfield it's unlikely to get a center or side drain.
Also, personally I wouldn't want EBD on five-ball. The bonus holdover rules are generous enough with extra balls available from a pretty safe shot. That type of nonlinear scoring gets out of whack quick when you add extra balls.

Totally depends on how the game is set up. I've played several machines where the inlines are a sucker shot and others where it rarely drains. Same with the 8 ball target. The one I used to have was sucker shot on inlines and safe 8 ball. And pop bumper center drains were common on every machine I've played. Totally unpredictable.

I agree I wouldn't want EBD on 5 ball. Tough to get the 112K bonus on 3 ball though if you don't have it set to reset the rack after completing DELUXE. Tough choice because I like the big bonus, but also like pounding the DELUXE targets.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Bally Centaur!

Don't gain much from going to 5 ball on this one, other than longer games and high probability of rollover.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Was that even from this string?

Yeah. I'm one of the beta testers for the new site and its one of the bugs I have experience with the quote all button. It will sometimes say the wrong person.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. I'm one of the beta testers for the new site and its one of the bugs I have experience with the quote all button. It will sometimes say the wrong person.

Incorrectly attributing quotes!??!!? Thread ban! Warning!!

Just kidding, and not criticizing anyone or anyone's decisions. Mis-quoting should be (and is) a rules violation for good reason. I just thought it was amusing because this was due to a bug.

#48 8 years ago

Well, the beta testing it working. Yay!

#49 8 years ago

If you want 5 ball, I say go for it. It's your vagina, stroke it whatever way you want!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 13.50
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 45.00
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 179.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legit-5-ball-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.