(Topic ID: 302664)

Legends of Valhalla - REVEALED and ready to order with PinballSTAR !

By PinballSTAR

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C00A4D53-DB68-4EA7-8F58-B9C35C11A384 (resized).jpeg
B133565B-D088-4329-928E-83FAAEC56878 (resized).jpeg
4AEFC52C-6171-4E37-9164-5598FA924E1C (resized).jpeg
537C34B1-BC3C-4347-B9D2-274815FD97AC (resized).jpeg
DA70F72E-7710-4306-8E1F-92B055869E39 (resized).jpeg
4807F317-51AD-4074-A6BF-B515AE12DB06 (resized).jpeg
E022CFA9-2BD8-4704-A478-67EA59031FBF (resized).jpeg
B450A1C2-98E6-4326-B428-FE48554988A1 (resized).jpeg
F786363C-1375-47AF-BA68-69C68AEA112B (resized).jpeg
30F867E9-1557-41B7-A288-FD5940C2EC2C (resized).jpeg
7675B7AD-A9E2-42F6-B615-B614CF856EC2 (resized).jpeg
65F82C63-0568-4EC5-8CEF-3000DCAF2EF9 (resized).jpeg
EEDAA9F5-ED9A-419F-ADEE-74286A072DAE (resized).jpeg
81E554A6-C982-4832-8791-4759EBD1602B (resized).jpeg
5CC533E0-8A03-4D24-948A-CE370857D03A (resized).jpeg
2D70A604-264A-4647-B5D2-206EB22A79B8 (resized).jpeg
There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
#201 2 years ago

Have a feeling the first 300 will sell out quick, and the next run of "Classics" will keep selling for awhile. Grabbing this title was a smart move. Happy for AP!

#202 2 years ago

Big AP fan, own and love a Hot Wheels, and have been anticipating this reveal with great interest!

Overall I love what I see in terms of shots and gameplay, the massive array of modes, playfield lighting, theme integration, a real looker of a cabinet, and what I expect will be a totally stellar sound track. It's gonna sell well, and people are gonna love it.

But I have to throw my lot in with those who struggle a bit with the art.

The cel shaded art style is great, and the execution is 85% great, but that ugly 15% leaves an impression of an uneven project that's not all done to a consistently high standard.

To be clear, most of it looks awesome. But then you have that woman left of center on the playfield with no texture or gradient shading / color and a derpy expression, it just looks half-finished compared to the rest. Same with the backglass: for some reason the female figure looks half-finished compared to the rest. If this is some "fairer sex" conceit that women can't get down and dirty it's really misplaced in context of the other art assets and the theme -- not to mention that we're about 25 years since Buffy the Vampire Slayer taught us that women warriors can get just as bloodied up as everyone else.

Gotta agree too that the Odin sculpted figure and the skull pile look pretty rough, and Odin's potty pose is pretty un-heroic. A good 3D artist could have spiced that up to something heroic rather than gastrointestinal. I'd agree with those who suggest that a slightly more critical and insistent Art Director needed a bigger say in the overall look and feel to edit the visuals and get all the pieces working together.

Is any of this fatal? I think not. It's a timeless theme, AP does awesome light shows, there are modes 'o plenty and shots galore, this'll be a fun one. But... you can't help but feel that a few really obvious and very fixable boo boos is holding this game back from being a potential out-of-the-park home rune (see what I did there?).

PS the topper had to be a viking helmet. It just had to be. C'mon guys, you can get amazing looking helmets at any Halloween store for $15.

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from RYE_:

PS the topper had to be a viking helmet. It just had to be. C'mon guys, you can get amazing looking helmets at any Halloween store for $15.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"579b800a9118898688d433d44a006cfc5a3da97a-1635128285-1800"};
//]]>

Waiting to see if they do some awesome stuff with lighting on the topper…but have to agree…a helmet is a no brainer.

#204 2 years ago

Not many are commenting on the artwork, but it is bizarre to say the least. Hasn’t anyone else noticed on the right side of the cabinet, a woman lying murdered in a pool of her own blood? Did we do that as the players??? We’re the Vikings right? Are we to assume her family is burning alive in that house? Do we get achievements on how many innocent villagers are slaughtered? Are there any bonus points for pillaging? If this is what you’re going for shouldn’t there be more bodies depicted? Awfully empty village, I’m so confused…

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Won’t this piss off the buyers that thought there was only going to be 300? It was the right move to make this thing limited though. Helps with FOMO.

Well speaking as one guy who ordered. The answer is NO. Really did not matter if 300 or 500 or 1000 , I still would have ordered. Like the construction, concept , modes, the whole package.

Quoted from Pmaino:

Just because others did it doesn’t make it right. People that missed out should have to settle for the standard edition.

Why? This is good for AP and good for the people who want one. The difference tween 300 and 500 do not mean a thing if it’s a great pin. People will put them in their collection and not let them go. I was one of the earliest to order and I am happy for number 500 as well

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Hasn’t anyone else noticed on the right side of the cabinet, the woman lying murdered in a pool of her own blood? Did we do that as the players??? We’re the Vikings right? Who would actually want a picture of a woman being murdered in their home, with a burning building, which is assumed to be her house?

I’m with you on this one and was just going to say silent. Blood all over the sides and playfield…like…what? I can’t do it with my lovely children in this household. Heck, I won’t even use my kids an an excuse. I can’t do it with ME in this household!

AP is great. Game looks great. Way to go! Unfortunately there’s a line here.

PS AP: if the classic edition has family friendly art…shoot me a note.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Not many are commenting on the artwork, but it is bizarre to say the least. Hasn’t anyone else noticed on the right side of the cabinet, a woman lying murdered in a pool of her own blood? Did we do that as the players??? We’re the Vikings right? Are we to assume her family is burning alive in that house? Do we get achievements on how many innocent villagers are slaughtered? Are there any bonus points for pillaging? If this is what you’re going for shouldn’t there be more bodies depicted? I’m so confused…

This pin is not for you. We get it. Stop. Move on. Some pins are more adult, some
more kid friendly. I like the art. I hope they don’t cave like Oktoberfest backglass. Wish I had that backglass…was so funny. My wife even thought so.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

This pin is not for you. We get it. Stop. Move on. Some pins are more adult, some
more kid friendly. I like the art. I hope they don’t cave like Oktoberfest backglass. Wish I had that backglass…was so funny. I even my wife thought so.

Easy for you to say, because you’re not the one losing sales because of this artwork. There are many people and locations that won’t want this artwork in their homes or establishment. Just trying to figure this out, like everyone else here. So why should anyone move on in the forum discussion? Asking questions are difficult sometimes, if they are tough questions maybe, might be your issue?

I don’t find this artwork to be adult or a mature matter, it is grossly adolescent, imo.

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Unfortunately there’s a line here.
PS AP: if the classic edition has family friendly art…shoot me a note.

You should be more aware of the story of Valhalla before offering your own critique. There is no kid friendliness in Valhalla. If anything they familied it up for sensitive people like yourself. This isn't a theme Disney is going to take on.

SmartSelect_20211024-225845_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20211024-225845_Chrome (resized).jpg
#210 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Just trying to figure this out, like everyone else here. So why should anyone move on in the forum discussion? Asking questions are difficult sometimes if they are tough questions maybe, might be your issue?
Depicting murder is far beyond being classified as adult in anyone’s book.

Good point, don’t move on. But, why use such energy on this one pin…why not got after others…playboy, Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Mellons, etc.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Good point, don’t move on. But, why use such energy on this one pin…why not got after others…playboy, Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Mellons, etc.

Lol, believe me I would if they were just being released.

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

There are new adult themes…I expect to see you on those threads too. Bottom line, if you don’t agree with the content, change the channel.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Los Angelas California. Aghhh

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Los Angelas California. Aghhh

Lol! I just noticed that now too. It all makes more sense…

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

You should be more aware of the story of Valhalla before offering your own critique. There is no kid friendliness in Valhalla. If anything they familied it up for sensitive people like yourself. This isn't a theme Disney is going to take on.[quoted image]

Your screen shot does not mention women murdered in pool’s of their own blood. Actual Vikings didn’t dress this way, it obviously isn’t an historical depiction. Pretty sure Viking woman didn’t wear leather bikini’s to battle, in a culture that lives in the far frigid north. So I don’t think they are going for historical accuracy’s.

PS Don’t think Vikings actually had horns on their helmets either.

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Actual Vikings didn’t dress this way, it obviously isn’t an historical depiction. Pretty sure Viking woman didn’t wear leather bikini’s to battle, in a culture that lives in the far frigid north. So I don’t think they are going for historical accuracy’s.
PS Don’t think Vikings actually had horns on their helmets either.

Maybe not but Los Angelas "Hollywood" depicts as that so thats what were going with.

#217 2 years ago

Well this isn't the American Pinball model but I got to play LOV at the Pinball Garage in Ohio and had a couple of pics of that model to share..l

20210817_185539 (resized).jpg20210817_185539 (resized).jpg20210817_185550 (resized).jpg20210817_185550 (resized).jpg20210817_185605 (resized).jpg20210817_185605 (resized).jpg20210817_185620 (resized).jpg20210817_185620 (resized).jpg

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Not many are commenting on the artwork, but it is bizarre to say the least. Hasn’t anyone else noticed on the right side of the cabinet, a woman lying murdered in a pool of her own blood? Did we do that as the players??? We’re the Vikings right? Are we to assume her family is burning alive in that house? Do we get achievements on how many innocent villagers are slaughtered? Are there any bonus points for pillaging? If this is what you’re going for shouldn’t there be more bodies depicted? Awfully empty village, I’m so confused…

Yeah ! I too wish all machines conformed to my personal tastes and sensibilities- whether I intend to own them or not !
What a bunch of bullshit

#219 2 years ago

Fact.... Viking raiders made it well into the Mediterranean.
So leather Bikinis are not historically impossible.....
Improbable....
Well that's just not fun.

Family friendly Pinball is a complete no go.

Funny you got a avatar of Robert Conrad in his skin tight britches.
Hypocrite.... little bit??
Huh???,

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

Yeah ! I too wish all machines conformed to my personal tastes and sensibilities- whether I intend to own them or not !
What a bunch of bullshit

I like AP and have played their games. They make a quality product. Want to see AP become a major competitor in the pinball market, but it is these kind of decisions that hurt AP’s potential. An artist can depict any image they want, but there are some images that will sell and some that won’t and this artwork will hurt potential sales, imo.

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Improbable....
Huh???,

Lol, have you considered submitting your theory to the Smithsonian? I’m sure they have some Viking exhibits that need revision.

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Easy for you to say, because you’re not the one losing sales because of this artwork. There are many people and locations that won’t want this artwork in their homes or establishment. Just trying to figure this out, like everyone else here. So why should anyone move on in the forum discussion? Asking questions are difficult sometimes, if they are tough questions maybe, might be your issue?
I don’t find this artwork to be adult or a mature matter, it is grossly adolescent, imo.

They increase the allocation of the top tier from 300 to 500 due to demand. The vibe so far on this topic seem mostly positive (surprisingly for this group). I am curious to see the data that backs up your claim that they are losing sales due to the artwork.

#223 2 years ago
Quoted from tidalwdave:

They increase the allocation of the top tier from 300 to 500 due to demand. The vibe so far on this topic seem mostly positive (surprisingly for this group). I am curious to see the data that backs up your claim that they are losing sales due to the artwork.

Anyone can say our numbers increased to make it look more popular. This is an easy and very good marketing ploy. No one can prove or will ever know their sales figures. I think it looks like an okay shooter, albeit with not much in the way of mechs/features in the game, but think a better art package could have elevated it to be more acceptable to most people.

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Anyone can say our numbers increased to make it look more popular. This is an easy and very good marketing ploy. No one can prove or will ever know their sales figures. I think it looks like a fun shooter, but think a better art package could have elevated it to be more acceptable to most people.

Waiting for your data to show that they lost sales. Maybe yours, but maybe the gained sales on the other end that like it....

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Anyone can say our numbers increased to make it look more popular. This is an easy and very good marketing ploy. No one can prove or will ever know their sales figures. I think it looks like a fun shooter, but think a better art package could have elevated it to be more acceptable to most people.

Your favorite games are all BW pins/remakes that are for the masses. What pins do you even own? Seems you don't even like modern pins. I don't think you were even in the market for something like this. Don't be a poser.

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What happened to this site? You guys are acting like a bunch of a-holes. It's their first production pin. Looks pretty damn good to me for a first effort. The artwork is miles better than Spooky's first effort and look at Spooky now. And they didn't crowdfund the damn thing with pre-sales in order to build it (or not even build it, like Jpop). They did it on their own. All things considered it looks surprisingly polished and professional to me. Definitely a step up all-around from AMH, Thunderbirds, Predator, non-functioning Magic Girl and some other first attempts. And with AP building it there won't be years of waiting with minimal updates, or stolen monies. These guys are doing it right. Bravo all around.

Well said!!! Agree 100%!!

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What happened to this site?

Same thing that happened to where ya moved from

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Maybe not but Los Angelas "Hollywood" depicts as that so thats what were going with.

Can’t say much for our local Hollyweird studios either. Here in SoCAl, we wouldn’t mind if they left, lol.

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Yes, nice surprise in the mail yesterday. I wondered if someone provided a subscription in my name.
Was this a mailing from the current API owners list?[quoted image]

I did as well. Not sure if it is Expo tie in or what, I have not renewed my subscription to them...

#230 2 years ago

I think perhaps there will be magazines featuring Legends of Valhalla at EXPO. We were so pleased to see such extensive coverage on our journey. We can't thank Pingame Journal enough. 28 pages!

Quoted from chad:

I did as well. Not sure if it is Expo tie in or what, I have not renewed my subscription to them...

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Ok, then buy a Hot Wheels and move along…This pin just isn’t for you, that’s fine, but you can still support AP and a manufacturer outside of Stern

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

I literally didn't even notice it....so I just went and took a look. LOL? The art isn't even that bad at all. First off it's a cartoon drawing, so at least there is that. Secondly, this isn't "How to train your Dragon", it's "Assassins Creed: Valhalla" or "The Banner Saga" warrior Vikings stuff. That requires blood. So I'd say the art is spot on...period.

In case you don't understand my references - https://bannersaga.com/ - or - https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla

#233 2 years ago

easy pass for me

#234 2 years ago

Eh, the cabinet art is going to be hidden for 90% of us hardcore collectors. If the burning village and the slain woman really bother you, then the whole theme should. You can’t really make Vikings family-friendly.

I hope the Classic doesn’t lose too much, in terms of layout. When will we know the differences between Deluxe and Classic?

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

I literally didn't even notice it....so I just went and took a look. LOL? The art isn't even that bad at all. First off it's a cartoon drawing, so at least there is that. Secondly, this isn't "How to train your Dragon", it's "Assassins Creed: Valhalla" or "The Banner Saga" warrior Vikings stuff. That requires blood. So I'd say the art is spot on...period.
In case you don't understand my references - https://bannersaga.com/ - or - https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla

Some people apparently think it should be Lengends of Valhalla - Pillow Fights, thank God these people weren't around or were ignored in the 70s and 80s when games like Xenon were made. Or even more recently, can't have all that blood on a game about zombies!

#236 2 years ago

Imagine complaining about cartoon violence in 2021, get a grip, and I don't mean on your pearls.

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Improbable....
Huh???,

and shooting/holding a pistol as well. Dude is a douche bag.

#238 2 years ago

I think AP is going to release the classic specifics today. Layout wise and software wise both models are identical.

Quoted from swampfire:

Eh, the cabinet art is going to be hidden for 90% of us hardcore collectors. If the burning village and the slain woman really bother you, then the whole theme should. You can’t really make Vikings family-friendly.
I hope the Classic doesn’t lose too much, in terms of layout. When will we know the differences between Deluxe and Classic?

#239 2 years ago

Any chance of a future Legends of The Hidden Temple pin with Olmec ?

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#240 2 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Well speaking as one guy who ordered. The answer is NO. Really did not matter if 300 or 500 or 1000 , I still would have ordered. Like the construction, concept , modes, the whole package.

Why? This is good for AP and good for the people who want one. The difference tween 300 and 500 do not mean a thing if it’s a great pin. People will put them in their collection and not let them go. I was one of the earliest to order and I am happy for number 500 as well

I'm sorry, but you can't market something to buyers, change the terms, and then have everyone be all smiles. If you say the game is limited to 300 at $8.4K, then days later change that to 500, that's a crap move. Good or bad for AP, if you tell a buyer the terms are X, you don't undercut any perceived value within the terms.

#241 2 years ago

Wait... so they advertised as LE 300 and now it’s 500?!

#242 2 years ago

Just as i said... remember all the WOZ Editions, yellow brick, emerald edition, red edition, Hobbit smaug gold, black arrow and so on... All limited...
Munsters increase LE from stern...

For sure AP should have made a : family friendly hello kitty strawberry juice edition

300 or 500, what does change ?

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

Just as i said... remember all the WOZ Editions, yellow brick, emerald edition, red edition, Hobbit smaug gold, black arrow and so on... All limited...
For sure AP should have made a : family friendly hello kitty strawberry juice edition

Wrongs don’t make a right. You don’t change the terms

#244 2 years ago
Quoted from JagDaniels:

So from here on out it’s okay for ALL companies to lie to sell more product because it’s been done before . Got it .

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Wrongs don’t make a right. You don’t change the terms

Apparently you do. Is it really the end of the world? Let these guys make a few bucks and stay in business.

#246 2 years ago

Hopefully they reveal the Classic model today

#247 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think AP is going to release the classic specifics today. Layout wise and software wise both models are identical.

Details on Classic would be welcome ! Interested to hear the price point.

#248 2 years ago

I wish they'd reconsider the art. Didn't AP get a trademark on Valkyrie? It's the same Norse theme, but they could put a new art package on it that maybe doesn't have a woman on her back, dead in a pool of her own blood... which yeah, you're going to lose more people for that than attract people for it. I'm not "offended" by it, but it could certainly be better to not turn some people off of what is a rudimentary white male power fantasy story.

Pinball themes are weird. Vikings pillage and rape, but I don't think people want to be as reminded of that part when playing a cartoonish caricature of Vikings for entertainment. More drunken meade halls and gnarly serpentine enemies, less reminders of the atrocities of costal raiding peasants in a war of colonial expansion.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Pinball themes are weird.

Led Zeppelin’s game video has little naked kids climbing a Celtic-looking mountain. I’m glad Stern took the risk and included that album art, it’s a conversation-starter for sure.

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

...they could put a new art package on it that maybe doesn't have a woman on her back, dead in a pool of her own blood... which yeah, you're going to lose more people for that than attract people for it...

Or you could just ignore the tiny piece of cartoon art that offends you and play the damn game.

The art style and theme might deter some people from buying this tittle absolutely, but my guess is that 0 people will refuse to play or buy the game simply because of a cartoon corpse on the playfield. Oh wait, only 1 person will refuse to buy, my bad.

If a corpse deters you so much I hope you will never play walking dead, halloween or any other horror themed pin. Yikes, overreact much...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8,399.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Wentzville, MO
$ 8,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 51.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legends-of-valhalla-revealed-and-ready-to-order-with-pinballstar-/page/5?hl=jack8765 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.