forest-gump-beard-1 (resized).jpg
peacock (resized).jpg
Thanos (resized).jpg
B012822B-DFBC-4C5A-8714-FB81A396CF65 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5112 (resized).JPG
2xg057 (resized).jpg
preview.jpg
1D0AF766-C76B-4392-B6D2-1F8C735C0FBB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm glad you're ok with being told how to spend the money you earned. I'm not.

That's your point out of this entire thread? The US Treasury and State Governments do this every day through taxes. Are you really arguing that you'd rather the governments tax us more to cover these costs, vs paying directly for the incident incurred? I'd much rather pay the government a jury tax when I serve jury duty, versus paying a higher tax every year that may or may not go towards jury duty parking. Seems a very silly argument.

As for serving itself, it's a civic duty. One of the few we have left. There are many inconveniences that people incur to serve. You spoke of the single mom holding three jobs. You do realize, that she's likely not reimbursed for hours lost from her job, right? Or she's not reimbursed for the daycare she might have to find for her children. What if her job provides her lunch at the cafeteria, but now she has to buy her own lunch? What if she has a very strict budget for gas usage, and this drive to the courthouse will exhaust the gas she has allotted for travelling to work. You act that this parking cost is the only cost that's inconvenienced to jurors. There's a whole host of direct and indirect costs associated with jury duty, but we incur it because we as a collective citizenship have fought for the right to a jury by our peers. I think you've really lost sight of the bigger picture here.

Quoted from Zitt:

I'm really tried of all the dismissive comments here … I should have known better

Lastly, you lament about personal attacks, but you snidely did the same to the whole board. Because you've been judged by a jury of your peers, and you don't agree with the verdict, your position is "I should have known better" about the people on this board, as if we're all lacking because we don't agree with you.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If it is not delivered by registered mail they have no way to prove you received it therefore they can do nothing to you for not showing up. I have done it countless times. I have a business to run, I don't have time to go down town for what is most likely a trial for a traffic ticket, which I believe to be nothing but forced revenue enhancement in the first place. The one time I went it was because it was sent by registered mail I told them that I believed cops should be doing something more productive than hiding behind stop signs or sitting on the side of the freeway writing ticket and regardless of what was said I believed the man was innocent. The practically held the door open for me and I have never received another summons.

Let's hope that the day you need the legal system to work for you, that similar minded individuals don't circumvent the system and its integrity.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legal-advice-jury-duty?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.