forest-gump-beard-1 (resized).jpg
peacock (resized).jpg
Thanos (resized).jpg
B012822B-DFBC-4C5A-8714-FB81A396CF65 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5112 (resized).JPG
2xg057 (resized).jpg
preview.jpg
1D0AF766-C76B-4392-B6D2-1F8C735C0FBB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newbieinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 5 years ago

I have your solution. Drive yourself to the courthouse at 5:00AM. There will be at least one open spot on the street. Park there. Take a nap until metered parking begins. Plop a nickel or a quarter into your meter, whatever the minimum fee. Take another nap in your car until Jury Duty starts. Go do your duty as an American Citizen. If you get a parking ticket, follow instructions to get the fine waived. Reimburse yourself for the nickel/quarter with a free cup of coffee at the courthouse if it makes you feel better. No free coffee, then flush the toilet in the ladies' room fifty times to get your revenge.

Freedom isn't free. You have to pay taxes and (very) occasionally you have to do jury duty. Stop with the expectation that you are entitled to everything you think is "fair".

#96 5 years ago

Here's an analogy that fits well IMO.

We have to pay taxes. For those of us outside of Texas and a few other states, this means both Federal and State Income Tax.

We are required by the IRS and our States to calculate our own bill and pay accordingly. Let's call that our civic duty. It will keep us out of prison if and only if we do it correctly.

I prepared my taxes this year, basically with pen and paper. My only cost was printing several pages on my inkjet printer and two first-class stamps. Total out-of pocket cost was about $2.00. It took between 1-2 hours of my time to collect necessary documents and fill out the paperwork and double-check calculations. This is equivalent to me riding the bus to Jury Duty. Since I have filed taxes more than 25 years as an adult and I have spent about 15 hours in Jury Duty, it is a safe assumption that taxes are comparably more time-consuming.

I could have hired H&R Block or my local CPA to do my taxes for a couple hundred dollars. This is equivalent to parking my car for a week during Jury duty. More convenient; less hassle.

Also, I could have hired Stormy Daniels' lawyer for ten grand to devise some scheme to (probably illegally) get me out of my civic duty to pay taxes. This is equivalent to getting a chopper to shuttle me to Jury Duty where I lie to the judge to get excused from the panel.

Do you think that the government should pay my $150 bill from H&R Block or my $10,000 bill from Michael Avenatti because that is what I chose to pay to most conveniently comply with my civic duty?

#116 5 years ago

I think we get it. There has been a not-insignificant cost paid by millions of Americans to maintain certain inalienable rights for people they have never met. One of these rights is to a trial by peers. This right, as well as a few others, were literally paid for by the lives of Patriots and Soldiers. Ten or twenty bucks to park your personal car so that you can conveniently drive to jury duty (or to park while defending yourself in a criminal trial or to work as a lawyer at the courthouse) is a small portion of the real cost to do what you do.

Like has already been suggested, fire up a GoFundMe page. One or two donations should cover your cost to park.

I doubt you find anyone who feels enough sorrow to support your cause.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

As to the soldier giving life bit - that's just another way of being dismissive. The two have no bearing on each other.

To your point, it is a bit of a Strawman argument. I don't believe that there is no correlation to our freedom and significant human sacrifice by our forefathers, but rational people can agree to disagree.

So, I will express the same opinion in another way. Travis County, arguably the most liberal county in the great state of Texas, decided that the publicly funded government should not entitle those selected for Jury Duty to free parking in government-owned spots. The Government is able to generate revenue from these spots. Being a municipality, they are forced to balance their budget every year. The parking spots near the courthouse have value in the form of parking fees. If they forego those fees, they would need to raise funds elsewhere. Since you apparently live in Travis County, let's assume that you would be required to participate in the increased taxes and/or fees. Maybe it shows up in your Personal Property tax rate or sales tax rate. It has to come from somewhere.

So, you can pay higher taxes and allow free parking for Jurors and encourage more people to park for free rather than having a friend/significant other/city bus drop them off at the courthouse. Travis County (as an elected Government) decided that you can pay lower taxes and let the potential jurors figure out the cost/benefit equation on their own. From your displeasure, Travis County has provided you an incentive to not drive yourself and pay for parking, but you still seem to choose to pay for City/County resources instead. That is your choice, and we should both be glad that you have that choice. The alternative is one more small but trivial government entitlement.

1 week later
#248 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Did you walk, get dropped off, use public transit, park for free or pay to park?

Since Zitt is done with this thread, it is up to our imagination what happened.

I have quarter wager that he parked on the street, allowed the meter to expire, and then got booted because of past parking fines that were left unpaid.

Anyone else have another two-bit theory?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newbieinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legal-advice-jury-duty?tu=newbieinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.