forest-gump-beard-1 (resized).jpg
peacock (resized).jpg
Thanos (resized).jpg
B012822B-DFBC-4C5A-8714-FB81A396CF65 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5112 (resized).JPG
2xg057 (resized).jpg
preview.jpg
1D0AF766-C76B-4392-B6D2-1F8C735C0FBB (resized).jpeg

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 4 years ago

Seriously? Get over it. They aren't forcing you to pay for parking, you are choosing to. Take the bus Sammy.

You are complaining that they are taxing you to pay for parking that you choose to take. But you seem to have no problem with them raising taxes on everyone to pay for hundreds, possibly thousands, of parking spots every week so you can drive your car and not be inconvenienced in any way. Life sucks, deal with it snowflake.

Again, take public transportation or park for free and walk a bit. If you want convenience, pay for it.

Edit: Just read your comments about taxes being used for things you don't like instead of paying for you to have free parking, and about taking it out on a clerk or receptionist; amazing. If you don't like the way your taxes are used, take it up with the city council and/or the appropriate decision makers, don't ever take it out on the civil servant just doing their damn job. They don't deserve to have to deal with your petty gripes, they probably have work to do to help people that actually need it.

#202 4 years ago

Once again... Can you tell them you wish to walk there, and they have an obligation to provide safe pedestrian access from your house to the courthouse?

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I was having a switch matrix issue on one of my machines so I contacted the State Bar Association for advice.

I have no idea if any member of my state bar owns a pinball machine, but I do know a few of you guys are lawyers, or at least play one on TV.

#204 4 years ago

Do you use the toll roads?

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Took a shortcut to avoid them.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That reminds me of when I picked up my first pinball machine. I had to drive some toll roads on my way back with my first pinball machine. I couldn't believe how much pulling a trailer increased the cost.

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Took a shortcut to avoid them.

Is this the OP protesting the parking charges for Jury Duty?

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That reminds me of when I picked up my first pinball machine. I had to drive some toll roads on my way back with my first pinball machine. I couldn't believe how much pulling a trailer increased the cost.

The Illinois Tollway gives you no IPass/EZPass discount when pulling a trailer and basically the toll is triple of what a single passenger car/light duty truck toll is.

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Is this the OP protesting the parking charges for Jury Duty?

Yes

#210 4 years ago

My favorite thread in months. Thanks Zitt. I for one (or maybe two) agree that jurors should get free parking. Most jury courts in NJ offer free parking for jurors. Or there is a daily stipend which is enough to cover it. Lunch? No. Pack a bag lunch. The problem I have with OP’s position is that he thinks that because something is unfair or against his beliefs on civic government he can just ignore or pitch a fit. I hope he tells the Judge exactly what he claims he will about the parking fees. I can’t wait to hear what happens.

I would also love to see a GoFund me page to raise $6 for OP’s parking. I know. I know. It’s not about the money.

#211 4 years ago

I'm just worried that Zitt has taken his ball and gone home, and we won't hear about what happens. His jury duty is scheduled for Monday of next week, and I doubt he'll give us the satisfaction of letting us in on the details.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

You guys just don't get it... I've repeated myself a dozen times.

I think MOST of us get it. But you apparently aren't.

Quoted from Zitt:

It's the principle. I'm not f*ing paying the city (or parking structure management company) to "exercise" my civic duty. It's not right.

So, lets start with a simple fact. THEY OFFER FREE PARKING for jurors. But there are limited spots, very limited. If you get there early enough, it doesn't cost you anything. If you get there too late (there are apparently 21 spots) then you'll need to pay.
OR find an alternate means to get there.

But the thing is. Even if you have to pay, it is still your civic duty. In fact it is the ONLY civic duty you actually have. (some would argue paying taxes is also a duty, then consider this part of your tax)
Some countries force people to server on the military for two years. Two years of your life is a bit more expensive than paying for parking. What I'm saying is, even if you had to pay for jury duty, it would still be your duty. Fortunately you don't have to pay for parking, there are alternatives. Those alternatives are YOUR choice.

But look, if you still feel this is wrong, then it is also your right to speak your mind on it, and do what you think is best. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I'm just worried that Zitt has taken his ball and gone home, and we won't hear about what happens. His jury duty is scheduled for Monday of next week, and I doubt he'll give us the satisfaction of letting us in on the details.

That's a currently my plan - just letting the thread die.
There was so much hate in this thread; I not sure it would provide anyone any catharsis and simply put - I no longer feel like sharing given the attitude of most.
Also reading comprehension is a problem for most people in this thread. A common problem is apparently people think public transportation is free (in Austin). it isn't.

Quoted from chrismcb:

lets start with a simple fact. THEY OFFER FREE PARKING for jurors. But there are limited spots, very limited.

Where are you getting your information? There is NO indication anywhere there is ANY Free parking for jurors in Austin, TX. Prove me wrong; provide a link.

Quoted from chrismcb:

What I'm saying is, even if you had to pay for jury duty, it would still be your duty. Fortunately you don't have to pay for parking, there are alternatives. Those alternatives are YOUR choice.

That's just it. There are no free options. The only thing close to free is to walk... but then that's a 1.5hr walk in the sun probably at 90+ degrees... before court. I'm sure that'd be fun for my fellow jurors. The bus isn't free. It'd probably be about $3 to get there. Parking is likely $12/day or worse. Uber? lol.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I'm just worried that Zitt has taken his ball and gone home, and we won't hear about what happens.

Quoted from Zitt:

That's a currently my plan - just letting the thread die.

Sweet, bad ass thread.

Show up at a pinball forum telling everyone how you were going to "Take a stand against "the man!"", only to run away in the end.....

Quoted from Zitt:

Also reading comprehension is a problem for most people in this thread.

People with glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. The letter they sent you clearly outlines a very easy way for you to park for free. Multiple people have quoted the passage in the letter, but you seem to keep missing it. I'll throw it up here just for good measure. Also, a 10 second Google search on the subject reveals countless threads containing personal experiences of people discussing your exact situation and how to get free parking.

"If you receive a parking citation with the stated violation of “Expired Meter” or “Expired Pay Station,” it can be dismissed by the City of Austin if you turn it in to the bailiff of the court you are assigned to or, send a picture of the parking citation and email to the jury office at: [email protected] along with your contact information. Please submit within 5 days to avoid a late notice by the City of Austin"

Pretty straight forward. Drive to the courthouse, park in a space with an expired meter, photograph and email the ticket to the email address provided and viola' free parking.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That's just it. There are no free options. The only thing close to free is to walk... but then that's a 1.5hr walk in the sun probably at 90+ degrees... before court. I'm sure that'd be fun for my fellow jurors. The bus isn't free. It'd probably be about $3 to get there. Parking is likely $12/day or worse. Uber? lol.

Im not sure of your fitness level, but that’s what I’d do, get dressed up in fitness gear and run there.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Where are you getting your information? There is NO indication anywhere there is ANY Free parking for jurors in Austin, TX. Prove me wrong; provide a link.

He’s presumably talking about the “just park at a meter and if you get a ticket the court will waive it” option they provide. Which admittedly isn’t what people usually mean by “free parking,” but would provide you with a parking space at no cost to you (other than your time sending in the ticket to be waived).

#217 4 years ago

While I do agree that jury duty parking should be paid for - in the end you'll be paying for it anyway (taxes). It's an issue to take up with policymakers, not with a judge. That's just silly. It's the exact same thing as thinking that the speed limit on a certain road is way under what it should be - and instead of going through the appropriate channels to try and make change, instead your thinking is to argue that in front of a judge when you get your speeding ticket. It makes no sense. The judge isn't going to be so "moved" by your words that he/she is going to take up the cause of change for you that, honestly, you are too lazy to do. If it really means that much to you, try to enact change the way it's suppose to be done. Not by wasting your time, the judge's time, the courts time - all of which, coincidentally, is paid for by you in the end.

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Pretty straight forward. Drive to the courthouse, park in a space with an expired meter, photograph and email the ticket to the email address provided and viola' free parking.

Yeah good luck with this angle.

"The government expects ME to take a photo with MY camera, and use MY data plan to email them a photo just to justify free parking for my civic duty?!?!?! What are living in, Musollini's Italy?!?!??!!"

#219 4 years ago

When I have jury duty, you can show your jury badge to the public transportation driver and they let you on for free, both the bus and light rail. They also have a remote lot just outside of downtown and have a regular bus between there and the courthouse.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from GolfKill:

When I have jury duty, you can show your jury badge to the public transportation driver and they let you on for free, both the bus and light rail. They also have a remote lot just outside of downtown and have a regular bus between there and the courthouse.

You should have included a trigger warning on this post.

#221 4 years ago

I would suggest arrive in a dirigable and park it over the lawn.

#222 4 years ago

If you are going to post on a board where people are willing to pay $100 for bumper caps (your very own ST caps plus shipping) and bitch about the unfairness of having to pay for parking, then you have absolutely no sense of where you are. That $100 is more than many people make in a day.

Besides making you look incredibly cheap and petty, in general, it makes you look like you don't understand the underpinnings of social responsibility. And your whole argument is a straw man anyway. I mean is it fair that I have to pay for books for my kid's college? They are required for the class and I've already forked over $40K in tuition. There are innumerable examples like this.

Dude, you should have hit delete before you even started this thread. Don't get mad at us because we are commenting on just how petty this thread is.

#223 4 years ago

Hey I know that courthouse...

jeffspicoli2 (resized).jpgjeffspicoli2 (resized).jpg
#225 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The bus isn't free. It'd probably be about $3 to get there. Parking is likely $12/day or worse. Uber? lol.

$3!? Well my god you are right! This is an outrage and you must fight to defend your freedom from this tyranny.

Oh also, they are paying you more than that to be there, so turns out it is free to you. This whole thread has been you ignoring the fact that they are paying you for this to cover the costs of transportation. But because the money isn't going directly from them to the parking spot you won't accept it. And has previously stated many times, you can get a metered spot the first day and if it expires they cover that. Then if you have to come back for an actual trial it's like $40/day which more than pays for parking. This money isn't paying you for doing a job, because it isn't a job it's a duty. This money is to cover your expenses. They are paying for your parking, but doing so in a way that transportation can be covered in many ways.

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I would suggest arrive in a dirigable and park it over the lawn.

Alberto Santos Dumont used to do it. It worked most of the time....

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

There was so much hate in this thread; I not sure it would provide anyone any catharsis and simply put - I no longer feel like sharing given the attitude of most.

I feel like you are only responding to those inflammatory messages. People have given you actual advise, but thus far in this thread you have completely ignored those posts. Seems like you are seeking out drama.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I feel like you are only responding to those inflammatory messages. People have given you actual advise, but thus far in this thread you have completely ignored those posts. Seems like you are seeking out drama.

Agree, what about my advice to run there in gym clothes?

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have to sit on a Federal Grand Jury

Explain, just because I'm really super interested in this. (If it was already explained, I'll catch it down the thread and don't worry about it.) At least for my county, sitting on a Grand Jury is purely volunteer...seriously considered it. If my work pays for it I still want to do it, but I haven't asked.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

probably too smart for my liking - strike!

This is totally a thing. Last time I got called in and actually had to go through voir dire, the prosecutor (it was a slip and fall "who's fault is it") case, asked "Does anyone know what Occam's Razor is?"

Like an idiot, or a genius, I raised my hand. I was the only one. He asked me to explain it, and I did... "The simplest explanation tends to be the correct one." Which obviously in that case, the simplest explanation was that the defendant was just careless and didn't use provided handrail when descending icy steps. I was dismissed after that. I have absolutely no doubt the defense team had me at the top of their list.

#231 4 years ago

That would be the plaintiff that didn’t use the handrail and fell. Who the hell took a slip and fall on ice to trial? Was the plaintiff attorney suggesting that it was a commons area that should have been salted or sanded? Hard to get around open and obvious on an ice case, though.

I once got a monster settlement on a slip & fall in a very large and notoriously litigation aggressive department store. But my poor lady snapped her femur and damned near bled out on the floor. Everyone in the area said they thought someone had been shot when they heard the bone snap.

#232 4 years ago

Yeah, you'll have to excuse my turned around terminology, but I did say "idiot or genius."

Yes, it was a commons area. And if there's a law requiring those areas to be salted or sanded by HOAs, that's the first I've heard of it. My HOA never has anytime it's been icy, that's for sure.

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

With the time you spent typing in this thread you could have earned it all in your regular job or a temporary one by now.

Just saying.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes, it was a commons area. And if there's a law requiring those areas to be salted or sanded by HOAs, that's the first I've heard of it. My HOA never has anytime it's been icy, that's for sure.

It depends on where it is. If you have a store or some other premises and are open and inviting the public to come to your premises for your benefit (i.e. you are selling something to them) you have a duty to inspect the premises and make it safe for those patrons (legally they are classified as “invitees”). However, anything open and obvious, or something that the plaintiff knew about prior to injury, would basically negate the claim. I’ve seen legitimately good black ice claims on restaurant and store parking lots and walkways, where there was no way that the person would have seen the ice and snapped an ankle or cracked their head. The really good ones are when someone power washes a lot or leaves the sprinklers on in 33 degree weather and creates an unnatural condition when the temp drops overnight that no one would have ever expected. Seen plenty of those around over the years.

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

...apparently people think public transportation is free (in Austin). it isn't.

Well that does suck. I can wave my jury summons at any bus driver or transit official in Houston and get downtown on any city bus or train for free. Free passes for the return trip also.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Admittedly I don't know which court you have jury duty in. You've only mentioned Austin, Tx.
https://www.traviscountytx.gov/district-clerk/jury-duty/faq
Go to the section that says "Getting ready to go to court" and then "How do I get to the courthouse"
Under Municipal Court it says "Parking:Limited reserved parking for Jurors. Municipal Court has 21 reserved parking spaces for jurors to park at no cost. This is on a first come, first served basis."
Looks like a couple of the other courts have on site parking, and the rest have SOME metered parking.

#238 4 years ago
Avoid-Parking-Ticket-760x500 (resized).jpgAvoid-Parking-Ticket-760x500 (resized).jpg
#239 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That's not what was said. What you were told is public transit does not charge for parking (which is obvious). Stop twisting words out of context to make it look like you are being given bad advice, which you asked for in the first place.

Quoted from robotron911:

If you are going to post on a board where people are willing to pay $100 for bumper caps (your very own ST caps plus shipping) and bitch about the unfairness of having to pay for parking, then you have absolutely no sense of where you are. That $100 is more than many people make in a day.

Please also keep in mind you're not only representing yourself in this thread but also your business.

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You were a total prick to my face at Expo years ago and this thread does nothing to dissuade my impression. You must be exhausting to be around for any length of time.
There’s been some research showing that being angry and bitter makes people live longer. You’ll probably live to 120.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you won’t actually do jack shit when it comes down to the wire, like most keyboard commandos. I look forward to being proven wrong when you post from jail, though.
Go Zitt!

I'll bet it was the year He brought his reverse image Star Wars ( or Star Trek?) machine to ExPo. My son & I were looking at it and he asked us if knew Mike Pacak. We said yes to which he launched into a tirade bellowing what an ass Mike is and that he will never return to the show etc. Instead of playing his backwards machine, we walked away.

Fortunately for the op, this was at the Westin. Imagine if it was the Wyndam or Ramada where he would have been required to pay to park

I guess he could have walked the machine there from Texas or Oregon to save on parking fees.

#241 4 years ago

On the plus side, that mirror-image Star Trek was a truly bad-ass project. Got to play it at TPF this year. A good reminder that no matter how cranky people may get about stuff that wouldn’t bother you or me, they can do incredible things.

#242 4 years ago

If you receive a parking citation with the stated violation of “Expired Meter” or “Expired Pay Station,” it can be dismissed by the City of Austin if you turn it in to the bailiff of the court you are assigned to or, send a picture of the parking citation and email to the jury office at: [email protected] along with your contact information. Please submit within 5 days to avoid a late notice by the City of Austin

————————————
Park at a meter or pay station, get the Ticket and submitted to the court. They clearly state in your post that they will dismiss the ticket as long as it’s an expired meter or expired pay station ticket. So the court system is paying for your parking you just have to do a bit of paperwork to get reimbursed or cancel the ticket in this case. Enjoy jury duty!

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'll bet it was the year He brought his reverse image Star Wars ( or Star Trek?) machine to ExPo.

We had similar experiences, except in my case he said "whatever" in a sarcastic voice when I praised his machine, and that was the nicest part of our interaction.

#244 4 years ago

Last post ill make on this subject

1554742384904-586970276 (resized).jpg1554742384904-586970276 (resized).jpg
#245 4 years ago
i-want-my-two-dollars (resized).jpgi-want-my-two-dollars (resized).jpg
#246 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

[quoted image]

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#247 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

[quoted image]

Did you walk, get dropped off, use public transit, park for free or pay to park?

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Did you walk, get dropped off, use public transit, park for free or pay to park?

Since Zitt is done with this thread, it is up to our imagination what happened.

I have quarter wager that he parked on the street, allowed the meter to expire, and then got booted because of past parking fines that were left unpaid.

Anyone else have another two-bit theory?

#249 4 years ago

He convescated a cab, convinced the driver he was on police bussiness

#250 4 years ago

Spent the last week learning to levitate and floated there to avoid parking?

On the Star Trek topic — where are pics of that? Hadn’t heard of it before, sounds pretty cool!

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legal-advice-jury-duty/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.