forest-gump-beard-1 (resized).jpg
peacock (resized).jpg
Thanos (resized).jpg
B012822B-DFBC-4C5A-8714-FB81A396CF65 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5112 (resized).JPG
2xg057 (resized).jpg
preview.jpg
1D0AF766-C76B-4392-B6D2-1F8C735C0FBB (resized).jpeg
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 5 years ago

Pay taxes???You pay enough over the counter!! AND Austin Texas=S San Fransisco????At least you can smoke a joint in S.F.without going to jail for 10 years! I been to Texas and it really sucks! No hate,just facts! Yes I was in the USAF,and was treated really bad by the redneck asses there!! The year was 1970!!!

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The point people are making here... is that the cost of parking is the "cost of supporting the civil duty" I should be exercising.
My point is that just because this taxation is minimal doesn't make it right. As many have stated above; I think the example is that 1000 people a day "dodge" summons by just not showing up... so they in affect aren't paying their share of the "tax" because the never have to pay to park in the first place.
The issue that *I* am being taxed (in the form of parking fees) to do *MY* civil duty. It cost *ME* to actually go to the court house for the benefit of someone else's trial.
People here seem to think this is "ok" and "acceptable". As a tax paying citizen; I find it reprehensible and disgusting.
What about the single mom whom works 3 jobs to put food on the table... should she have to pay parking to do her civil duty?
I'm really tried of all the dismissive comments here … I should have known better; but thought there'd at least be a sympathetic ear or two. The simple fact here is that; people can be dismissive and call me mental all they want - I see this as a fundamental injustice and expect to make a point of it in court where it belongs.

You also have to pay for the gas and maintenance on your car for the miles to get to the court house. How DARE they make you pay for this. It is an injustice the likes of which have never been seen in all of history

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I can't wait to find out what happens when OP finds out they don't pay for lunch ...

But they actually pay you distance-based travel allowance from your registered address to the courthouse. You can use this to defray vehicle costs and parking, or public transport costs or the costs related to having a friend take you there & back etc.

They go crazy explaining parking for a reason. You can pay a few bucks or pay more than your travel allowance for parking if you're not careful.

Although they don't tell you about the reimbursement, it's a nice surprise later. I once sat on a six week jury trial.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from wamoc:

You also have to pay for the gas and maintenance on your car for the miles to get to the court house. How DARE they make you pay for this. It is an injustice the likes of which have never been seen in all of history

Do any of the parking garages have Tesla charging stations there?

#105 5 years ago

Jesus. Why don't you start a f'ing Go Fund Me.

#106 5 years ago

They don't pay for parking in Dallas either. They validate for a reduced rate, which is still more than the 1 dollar or whatever they pay you to show up. I can't speak for anywhere else but...

Called to panels ~7 times so far in my life. Served on 1 jury. Lost money every time, even in spite of my job paying for me to go, because of parking fees or loss of opportunity to make other money on my day off or overtime. I'm way more piss-ass broke and poor than you, bro. If I can get over it...so can you. Do you guys not have public transportation in Austin, and the city doesn't give you a day pass? We get a DART pass in Dallas if you can be arsed to spend all the time riding the rail to get downtown, but it's FAR more time efficient for me to drive 30 miles round trip than to spend 2+ hours on trains, but hey..if you're going to whinge about a couple of bucks......just consider it your 'convenience fee' if the city does provide ANY way to get there for free.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

The year was 1970!!!

Still full of redneck asshats. Just saying.

Source: Lived in Dallas since I was born in 81.

*edit* Dallas AREA.

#108 5 years ago

It’s not nearly as redneck as it was in 1970. Not close. The suburbs of Collin County are, but Dalls County is pretty tolerable now.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It’s not nearly as redneck as it was in 1970. Not close. The suburbs of Collin County are, but Dalls County is pretty tolerable now.

I've lived in Plano and Richardson the whole time.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've lived in Plano and Richardson the whole time.

Yeah, that’s the line.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Pay taxes???You pay enough over the counter!! AND Austin Texas=S San Fransisco????At least you can smoke a joint in S.F.without going to jail for 10 years! I been to Texas and it really sucks! No hate,just facts! Yes I was in the USAF,and was treated really bad by the redneck asses there!! The year was 1970!!!

To all the other rednecks from Texas on here.....

See! It worked. We kept all the pot heads out!

#112 5 years ago

You guys just don't get it... I've repeated myself a dozen times.
I think this will be my last post because; clearly I'm in the minority.

It's not that it's 2, 4, 200 or 1000 dollars.
It's the principle. I'm not f*ing paying the city (or parking structure management company) to "exercise" my civic duty. It's not right. I'm not going to burn good jue-jue with my friends to get them to chafer me to the court house so I don't have to pay for parking. That's would the only "non-dollar" way to get there short of walking for 1.5hrs.

The argument that it's trivial is immaterial. It won't "cost me" to serve on the jury. Originially; I thought it was laughable at the number of people that claim "financial hardship" to get out of jury duty... now; I actually see the reason. They shouldn't have to pay anyone to serve on a jury and neither should I. I guess that will be between me and the judge.

I'm glad ya'll think this was a humorous diversion for your day. Just remember; every time they charge you a parking fee... you can smile at this story.

#113 5 years ago

Lived in Plano from 85 to about 2002. You think Plano Texas is full of rednecks? Uh no. Not even close. Have you even ever driven though there? Are you thinking of a different Plano Texas? Maybe Plino, or Plono or something.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/plano-collin-tx/rankings/

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjle45mkld/no-1-best-city-plano/#4c4463e672d5

http://money.com/money/collection-post/4480715/plano-texas/

Even when I was there in 1985, and there was still a ton of farms and ranches, and the tollway had yet to even extend that far, I would say that too many preppies and yuppies were the problem. I also went to Plano East, which is where you would have found the few rednecks that lived there, and out of like a 3200 students, there was maybe 20 legit rednecks, and maybe 40 more wannabees, and those rednecks basically legit bull riding cowboys from horse farms in Parker and Murphy. And nice. Like super genuine human beings. I took equine ecology with them and got to go horse riding on the weekends for my grades. You can call them rednecks if you want, but they were really cool kids just trying to go to school and live there life.

Now a ton of us back then did wear cowboy boots and hats sometimes, and listen to Garth Brooks, and Reba and what not. Do you think that makes you a redneck? Do you think that people that listen to gansta music and wear red or blue shirts are in gangs?

Plano was a fantastic place to grow up. I was very fortunate to have spent half my childhood there. Safe, quite, and so many kids that even our developmentally challenged class had like 30 people in there to be friends with, which I always thought was really cool. If you didn't have at least 20 to 60 good friends, you didn't want any. Even if you were an Ahole, there was like 40 other Aholes to be friends with.

But tons of rednecks in Plano? LMFAO Nope. Try again. The average home price there is over 300k. Remember, Plano was the original Frisco, back when Frisco was all trailer home "lingerie shows" if you know what I mean? *wink wink.

Now when I moved to just outside Gun Barrel Texas 2003...... well that's whole other story. Ever stood in line at a convenience store, and listen to two mothers exchange strip club info, because one mothers daughter wasn't happy at her place, and the other women felt her daughters strip club job was amazing and lucrative, and then when you were leaving, the mom who's daughter worked at the good strip club tried to sell you meth or a BJ, and around those parts, we just called that a Tuesday? No? Well that's where you and I differ.

#114 5 years ago

I said Collin County. There’s way more than just Plano in Collin County: Farmersville, Wylie, Murphy, Anna, Celina, Nevada, Lucas, Parker. All full of the types that frown on the pot smoking hippy. But thanks for telling me all about shit where I’ve been for 41 years.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Not getting it and not agreeing with your principles are two different things. You named this thread in a way that suggested you sought advice, and you aren’t happy with what you got. But maybe you were intending to dispense with the advice and we aren’t buying it? Don’t know, man.

#116 5 years ago

I think we get it. There has been a not-insignificant cost paid by millions of Americans to maintain certain inalienable rights for people they have never met. One of these rights is to a trial by peers. This right, as well as a few others, were literally paid for by the lives of Patriots and Soldiers. Ten or twenty bucks to park your personal car so that you can conveniently drive to jury duty (or to park while defending yourself in a criminal trial or to work as a lawyer at the courthouse) is a small portion of the real cost to do what you do.

Like has already been suggested, fire up a GoFundMe page. One or two donations should cover your cost to park.

I doubt you find anyone who feels enough sorrow to support your cause.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I said Collin County. There’s way more than just Plano in Collin County: Farmersville, Wylie, Murphy, Anna, Celina, Nevada, Lucas, Parker. All full of the types that frown on the pot smoking hippy. But thanks for telling me all about shit where I’ve been for 41 years.

You know what, I think I miss read what you were and Frax where saying. I thought when he said Plano and Richardson, and you said, that's the line, you were saying it was over the line, and you meant under, and...... LOL

Mea Culpa. LOL I guess I'm just super sensitive about any trash talk about Plano. Who knew?

But at least we have now promoted Plano as a great city, so a good deed was done anyway.

#118 5 years ago

As a Garland rat, I wouldn’t piss on Plano if it were on fire. But my sister lives there and raised my nephews there, and they all seem to love the place. They’re kinda WASPy pricks, but happy.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from wamoc:

You also have to pay for the gas and maintenance on your car for the miles to get to the court house.

This is an interesting point. If it’s about the principle, do you expect them to pay for gas, insurance and other incidental expenses involved in you getting to the courthouse? If you walked 90 minutes, that’d burn a lot of calories...would you expect them to pay for the food you’d need in order to give you the energy to get there?

I’m not being a smartass, I’m genuinely curious.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

Like has already been suggested, fire up a GoFundMe page. One or two donations should cover your cost to park.

LOL. Great idea!
(no not really.)
I'm mental. not that mental.

I was actually hoping some reading the story would have actual advice of how to handle this with the judge.
But I guess I'm just a mental basket case who stands on the wrong side of history.

As to the soldier giving life bit - that's just another way of being dismissive. The two have no bearing on each other.

#121 5 years ago

Wasps. Ah, yes. Nice, quite, helpful, polite. *Shiver. Those people are a menace!

But you said the word of the day, so now everyone gets a wasp joke

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-best-joke-pinball-related-or-otherwise/page/6#post-4914445

2xg057 (resized).jpg2xg057 (resized).jpg
#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

As to the soldier giving life bit - that's just another way of being dismissive. The two have no bearing on each other.

To your point, it is a bit of a Strawman argument. I don't believe that there is no correlation to our freedom and significant human sacrifice by our forefathers, but rational people can agree to disagree.

So, I will express the same opinion in another way. Travis County, arguably the most liberal county in the great state of Texas, decided that the publicly funded government should not entitle those selected for Jury Duty to free parking in government-owned spots. The Government is able to generate revenue from these spots. Being a municipality, they are forced to balance their budget every year. The parking spots near the courthouse have value in the form of parking fees. If they forego those fees, they would need to raise funds elsewhere. Since you apparently live in Travis County, let's assume that you would be required to participate in the increased taxes and/or fees. Maybe it shows up in your Personal Property tax rate or sales tax rate. It has to come from somewhere.

So, you can pay higher taxes and allow free parking for Jurors and encourage more people to park for free rather than having a friend/significant other/city bus drop them off at the courthouse. Travis County (as an elected Government) decided that you can pay lower taxes and let the potential jurors figure out the cost/benefit equation on their own. From your displeasure, Travis County has provided you an incentive to not drive yourself and pay for parking, but you still seem to choose to pay for City/County resources instead. That is your choice, and we should both be glad that you have that choice. The alternative is one more small but trivial government entitlement.

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I was actually hoping some reading the story would have actual advice of how to handle this with the judge.

Sorry, my previous advise was more directed towards how to go about changing the polity, not "how to handle this with the judge". In order to get a ruling in your favor from a judge, you will need to provide evidence as to why this policy is a violation of the Texas State Code or some other federal act. My hunch is that it's not, but to aid in your search, I have attached the code section that relates to serving on a jury. My other advise is to save up $100 to $1,000 to cover your first fine, per 62.0141. There could also be criminal charges too, so perhaps give your lawyer a heads up. Best of luck.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.62.htm

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

ay. Travis County, arguably the most liberal county in the great state of Texas, decided that the publicly funded government should not entitle those selected for Jury Duty to free parking in city-owned spots.

By that argument; then the Judge shouldn't be entitled to free parking either nor any of his staff - a question I intend to ask when paneled.

I don't buy this argument at all... the likely scenario is that at some point; the Travis county representatives decided they could cut budget and earmark it for something more sinister; like ensuring we had a nice water front bike trail... rather than continue properly to fund the court system. Those same dolts that think a toll road is cheaper than actually building a real lane of travel.

Regardless; passing that on to the jurors WAS NOT the right thing to do in any form.

I'm a firm believer is the fact that our representatives cut corners all the time just to line their pet projects - this was no different.

I'm perfectly fine with the cost being passed to the tax payer's as a whole... As a whole 30k/day across millions of tax payers is a lot cheaper than forcing a select few whom ARE doing their civil duties. Put it to a vote and find out. But alas; they never will because they've quietly eliminated this and convinced a large portion of the population that it's our civic duty to pay parking to serve on a jury. Trivial is the word many have used... It's also trivial to pay 8% on top of your fast food bill... what's another 0.25%. Death by 1000 cuts.

It's simply that Travis, Dallas, and maybe one or two more densely populated areas with much larger tax bases are choosing to screw the jurors because they can. I have it on good authority that the surround areas are NOT forcing jurors to pay for parking. Example: Baxter and Hays counties.

The City Bus argument is null and void for Austin. They are not comping for city bus (or Uber or scooters) either.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

passing that on to the jurors WAS NOT the right thing to do

I don't disagree with you, but in order to win this argument in front of a judge you need to be able to prove that it is not legal. Otherwise, we are back to my prior comments about how to go about changing the policy, which will likely need to be done in conjunction with the next budget cycle. I think you could likely get this discussion on an agenda by calling your representatives. Call them and explain the situation. Ask them if they would be willing to support providing free parking for jurors. If they are supportive, ask them to assign a staff member to assist you in researching the history of this policy.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It's the principle. I'm not f*ing paying the city (or parking structure management company)

Here's an interesting question you may not have considered. Would you rather they take more tax dollars to support convenience parking for court activities? This is what it comes down to ultimately. They could pay or provide a free dedicated parking area, but all of that would come from tax dollars. Instead with the taxes approved by voters, they make decisions where to spend money. It would seem they prioritize other things, like judges, guards, those cool wavy wands that stop those sneaky types from bringing in knives and guns into the building. I recon I agree with that for the most part. I mean sure, if you can afford it, water slides and cheeseburger canon's would be nice too. But if your on a budget and you do what you can do. It may not be popular, but they recognize people need to park, its not in scope with the money on hand, so that's the option.

You see very strongly opinionated about this cost, however how does it align to your last municipal tax vote? That's rhetorical only to make point that all things govt can be changed with the right kind of effort and if your passion leads you to run or be engaged in support of those we elect, more power to you!. Maybe on day we'll see a "I voted so we can all park with dignity...so we can park for free!" I think its catchy!

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

the Travis county representatives decided they could cut budget and earmark it for something more sinister

#128 5 years ago

Zitt, it's not that I don't agree with you that having to pay for parking is an inconvenience, but it's the scale you've blown your issue and response up to that is a little ridiculous.

Relatively speaking this ranks so low as an issue, it was hard to even justify time for a response.

If you want advice, you have to be willing to accept that you may be wrong, otherwise you were just looking for validation not advice.

#129 5 years ago

I think all the people on unemployment should automatically serve jury duty and let the working man work ! They can sit and look for a job while they dick you around ,My brother lives in Texas

Fuck both of them !

#130 5 years ago

Yeah I just had Jury duty myself and paid for parking.... Crazy I never thought to post my experience on Pinside. Fucking Texans man..

#131 5 years ago

Is anyone else reading this silly bout of complaining like it is "Karen" asking to speak with a manager?

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Fucking Texans man..

Whoa, whoa. It’s not all of us, man.

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Is anyone else reading this silly bout of complaining like it is "Karen" asking to speak with a manager?

I fucking hate Karen.

#134 5 years ago

You were a total prick to my face at Expo years ago and this thread does nothing to dissuade my impression. You must be exhausting to be around for any length of time.

There’s been some research showing that being angry and bitter makes people live longer. You’ll probably live to 120.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you won’t actually do jack shit when it comes down to the wire, like most keyboard commandos. I look forward to being proven wrong when you post from jail, though.

Go Zitt!

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I think this will be my last post because; clearly I'm in the minority.

....proceeds to post several more times repeating himself over and over. We get it. How about you stop posting until 4/9 and then provide an update?

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

By that argument; then the Judge shouldn't be entitled to free parking either nor any of his staff - a question I intend to ask when paneled.

Please record this conversation and post here.

IMG_5112 (resized).JPGIMG_5112 (resized).JPG
#137 5 years ago

Honestly Zitt, just show up for day 1, pay your lousy 20 bucks, and just repeat your rant including how you rose above all the prejudice you've survived as a white Texan and and how much you hate the government...I'm pretty sure you'll be sent packing on day 1.

If you do a crowdfunder you may even be able to recoup the 20 clams. I guarantee you there are countless people on the internet who will be receptive to your thinking and sympathetic to your brave cause. Plenty of great people.

I've always wondered why people come to Pinside to dump this kind of nonsense on us. My best guess is the wife/SO/kids/neighbors/friends either don't exist or have heard these rants so many times, there's literally nobody else who will listen so it's the only outlet.

#138 5 years ago

Zitt, just out of curiosity, are you one of those Sovereign Citizen nutbags? You sure sound like you could be one.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Zitt, just out of curiosity, are you one of those Sovereign Citizen nutbags? You sure sound like you could be one.

I don't want to name any names cause the guy is one of pinball's great characters, but many years ago he was out at the flea market at Allentown trying to buy pins with "Liberty Dollars."

Didn't see any takers.

#140 5 years ago

So from what I have read, the OP does not feel that it is fair that he is being forced to pay for parking. He does not want to show up because of that, so his absence thereby forces someone else to pay for parking, when they have to go in place of him. That seems fair.

#141 5 years ago

OP would be shocked to have jury duty around here. If you show up not dressed according to the dress code, you get sent home to change and report back again. Thats TWO times he would have to drive there and park his car.

#142 5 years ago

The language about juror parking on your first page is really confusing. I wonder if someone who knows a lawyer would review it pro bono.
None the less, you should report for a least day one to plead the issue with the judge. Don't set yourself up for trouble with the law.

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't want to name any names cause the guy is one of pinball's great characters, but many years ago he was out at the flea market at Allentown trying to buy pins with "Liberty Dollars."

Levi, I know exactly who you mean, he offered me "Liberty Dollars" too for a machine I had for sale. I passed.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Honestly Zitt, just show up for day 1, pay your lousy 20 bucks, and just repeat your rant including how you rose above all the prejudice you've survived as a white Texan and and how much you hate the government...I'm pretty sure you'll be sent packing on day 1.
If you do a crowdfunder you may even be able to recoup the 20 clams. I guarantee your there are countless people on the internet who will be receptive to your thinking. Plenty of great people.
I've always wondered why people come to Pinside to dump this kind of nonsense on us. My best guess is the wife/SO/kids/neighbors/friends either don't exist or have heard these rants so many times, there's literally nobody else who will listen so it's the only outlet.

Me, too. I just don't get people that exhaust so much time and energy fighting a battle over a few dollars. You would think there would be more important things to deal with in life with family, work, and responsibilities. Oh I get it, it's not about the money but "principle" and woe is me. People have businesses to run, kids or elderly that need care, or other limited income but they go. Just skip if you are too "principled" to be bothered going and let some old lady take your place. Nothing good will come from seeking legal advice on a pinball forum.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Me, too. I just don't get people that exhaust so much time and energy fighting a battle over a few dollars. You would think there would be more important things to deal with in life with family, work, and responsibilities. Oh I get it, it's not about the money but "principle" and woe is me. People have businesses to run, kids or elderly that need care, or other limited income but they go. Just skip if you are too "principled" to be bothered going and let some old lady take your place. Nothing good will come from seeking legal advice on a pinball forum.

It's not about "seeking legal advice," these threads are all about making countless political "points" about the epidemic of "reverse racism" and the obvious political agenda of discussing how horrible the US judicial and taxation system are while somehow avoiding moderation. And they are surprisingly successful most of the time.

He's seeking "advice" like the lunatic on the street corner is providing advice about how constructing a hat from tin foil and old watermelon rinds will help us keep the government from probing our knowledge of the secret UFO research facility in a bunker below the Chuck E. Cheese at the paramus mall in Jersey.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He's seeking "advice" like the lunatic on the street corner is providing advice about how constructing a hat from tin foil and old watermelon rinds will help us keep the government from probing our knowledge of the secret UFO research facility in a bunker below the Chuck E. Cheese at the paramus mall in Jersey.

I heard it was moved to beneath the Bergen Town Center.....

#147 5 years ago

As soon as a poster brings up straw man argument, you know the thread has turned to shit.

#148 5 years ago

Maybe this was covered and I'm too lazy to read through it all, but don't you get paid for jury duty where you are? I went for our county like 2 weeks ago and you get some minimal (25? 27?) stipend per day to cover food and parking. Maybe that doesn't apply where you are but you might want to look before suing the court system...

Also, civic duty, etc. aside, you responded to them so you're on the hook now. The smart move if you don't want to go is just throw it away and if it ever comes up (it won't) just say you never got anything. I also think you're wildly over estimating the people who you'll be in front of to complain to. YMMV based on location, but jury duty around here is basically 2-5 days of sitting in a room with 200 other people and maybe getting called for an interview, and then maybe being selected, and then MAYBE the case goes to trial, but it usually doesn't. If you go off on some rant you'll just get held in contempt and be out more than 6 bucks or whatever...

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm glad ya'll think this was a humorous diversion for your day. Just remember; every time they charge you a parking fee... you can smile at this story.

If anyone is selling a parking garage near a court house let me know. Based on Gambit's numbers of people called in to report daily, assuming a certain amount bypass public transportation and the parking meter citation route, that's some damn good business.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

If anyone is selling a parking garage near a court house let me know. Based on Gambit's numbers of people called in to report daily, assuming a certain amount bypass public transportation and the parking meter citation route, that's some damn good business.

Dude, owning an acre of land in a downtown locale of a major metro area is a cash printing machine. Especially if it also happens to be near a sporting venue that lets you charge exhorbant cash prices during games. Only 100 spots could gross you $2500-3500 a day on game days.

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legal-advice-jury-duty/page/3?hl=oshara and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.