Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Leg Protectors do you prefer?”

• Plastic 30 votes
      60%
    • Felt 20 votes
      40%

(50 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Effin_Pincab2.jpg
    Effin_Pincab1.jpg
    IMG_3998.JPG
    Leg2.jpeg
    Leg1.jpeg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #50 10 years ago
    Quoted from surfnrg:

Next question..any way to fix a slightly wrinkled decal caused by the evil pincab 'protector'?

No need to slam the product. They are good for certain situations. Of the 8 games I have owed....they are suited for 7 of them, covered up some existing damage on some and protected other from damage.

#51 10 years ago

I got that...but they need to warn people that they are not useful for decal'ed machines.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from surfnrg:

I got that...but they need to warn people that they are not useful for decal'ed machines.

Probably true. It didn't seem to be an issue you heard much about a couple of years ago.

I really have no idea who makes these as everyone seems to sell them.

UPDATE: I just looked...after reading this on the manufactures website...maybe they do need to be slammed a bit. "If you have a pin that you want to preserve the value of, you need these PinCab Protectors™. ESPECIALLY if your pinball is one of the late model Bally/Williams pins (Cactus Canyon, Monster Bash, Medieval Madness, Revenge from Mars, Star Wars Episode 1) that have the decals that lift and peel away from the legs."

I'm sure the seller knows by now that the protectors actually cause the decals to wrinkle (or at the very least doesn't prevent it). I would think it would be time to come out and say, "best to not use these on games that have decals on the cabinet".

#53 10 years ago

Why I don't use Pincab protectors on decal'd cabinets. Brand new Doug Huse/Let's Play Pinball cabinet with Phoenix arcade V-Glo Creature decals.

I pulled them off after 24 hours after someone warned me, and sure enough I saw this. Fortunately I left it untouched for two weeks and it leveled back out.

Effin_Pincab1.jpgEffin_Pincab1.jpg Effin_Pincab2.jpgEffin_Pincab2.jpg

#54 10 years ago

Don't you need to keep them on now? If you remove them won't that damage show up on the outside of the legs?

Edit: Wait, is that damage to the decal or just bubbling looking like a scratch because of the light?

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

It's not on your list, but I like the metal ones Pinball Life sells.

Agreed! They keep the legs away from the cabinet all together. Unless you are a tilt monster!

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Why I don't use Pincab protectors on decal'd cabinets. Brand new Doug Huse/Let's Play Pinball cabinet with Phoenix arcade V-Glo Creature decals.
    I pulled them off after 24 hours after someone warned me, and sure enough I saw this. Fortunately I left it untouched for two weeks and it leveled back out.

No offense, but I've never understood using Pincab protectors on a game that has no issues around the legs, especially a restored cabinet with new artwork. To me, at least, they just look ugly.

This is a prime example of why I use nothing but the metal ones from Pinball Life on all my restorations. Tighten the bolts TIGHT and I don't see where you'd ever have an issue.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No offense, but I've never understood using Pincab protectors on a game that has no issues around the legs, especially a restored cabinet with new artwork. To me, at least, they just look ugly.
    This is a prime example of why I use nothing but the metal ones from Pinball Life on all my restorations. Tighten the bolts TIGHT and I don't see where you'd ever have an issue.

@BK: I used them because I had them, and had run out of my standard: felt.

@sturner: No, as I mentioned they leveled back out after I removed them and let the cabinet sit. The mark was an embossed line at the edge of the protector. With a leg on you would see this line about 1/2" outside the leg. It's next to invisible now a year later.

4 years later
    #59 6 years ago

So I know this is an old thread, but I have a quick question. Is it worthwhile to buy leg protectors on an already damaged game? My Stargate has damage underneath the legs that's barely visible with them on. Could the damage get worse to the point where it would be really noticeable, and if so should I get metal or felt protectors?

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

So I know this is an old thread, but I have a quick question. Is it worthwhile to buy leg protectors on an already damaged game? My Stargate has damage underneath the legs that's barely visible with them on. Could the damage get worse to the point where it would be really noticeable, and if so should I get metal or felt protectors?

Resurrect a year old thread!

I'd like to hear the answer too.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Could the damage get worse to the point where it would be really noticeable, and if so should I get metal or felt protectors?

Sure it can get worse. If it's a sticker applied to the cab it can start to wrinkle up near the legs. If it's wood it can dig in deeper into the wood. A lot of this has to do with over cranking the bolts causing the legs to dig deep into the cab.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-protectors/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.