2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bryan_Kelly
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

metal (resized).jpg
    plastic (resized).jpg
    felt (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

NIB pins, do you put leg protectors on?

#2 2 years ago

I think you would need to be specific about which leg protectors.

Leg protectors include (pictures from Pinball Life):
    1) Felt
    felt (resized).jpg
    2) Plastic protectors
    plastic (resized).jpg
    3) Metal protectors
    metal (resized).jpg

Most NIB machines already have metal leg protectors, making this discussion moot. There is no need to add plastic or felt protectors on top of existing metal leg protectors.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks, was not aware they come with. My GB comes home today...

#4 2 years ago

Congrats on the Ghostbusters. Nothing like that NIB smell.

All Stern machines now come with metal leg protectors.

EDIT: See corrections below; newer Stern come with plastic protectors to keep the legs away from the decals.

#5 2 years ago

I think stern went back to the little plastic protectors. At least that's what I saw on a friends GOT premium.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

Thanks, was not aware they come with. My GB comes home today...

You're good to go. You GB will come from the factory with the newer style protectors that create a space between the leg and the cabinet. It's one of the best inventions Stern ever came up with.

#7 2 years ago

I prefer jeans myself but in summer I go sans leg protectors usually till late September.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

hink stern went back to the little plastic protectors. At least that's what I saw on a friends GOT premium.

I'm pretty sure my GoT LE had the plastic ones. Either way, they both work just as well.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

Stern has never used the metal ones, but their plastic ones work just fine.

#10 2 years ago

Not needed with the newer Sterns - they are built into the cabinet so legs do not touch the cabinet directly. Enjoy you GB - great pin!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I'm almost positive that my AC/DC Premium came with metal ones from the factory.

#12 2 years ago

Got my Ghostbusters Premium on Thursday and it did have the metal protectors so no worries.

#13 2 years ago

It did.

Quoted from gweempose:

I'm almost positive that my AC/DC Premium came with metal ones from the factory.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Got my Ghostbusters Premium on Thursday and it did have the metal protectors so no worries.

I wonder why Stern keeps switching back and forth between the plastic and metal protectors.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

Make that plastic leg protectors

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

They actually came up with the metal ones Pinball Life sells to deal with the issues they were having once they started using decals on their games. The idea was brilliant and I now use them on every game I restore.

They did, however, eventually switch to the plastic ones. I can't help but think it was a cost cutting measure. Personally, I'd switch to the metal.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just moved an AC/DC premium yesterday and can verify that it has metal protectors as does an X-men LE that I moved one weekend ago. It might be a Pro/LE difference or it could be a matter of when it was manufactured.

I'm not sure that it matters. My understanding is that the key function is to keep the legs away from the decal, which can be accomplished with metal or plastic as long as the decal is cut correctly. Stern messed this up with Transformers (decals were not cut away at the leg mounts), but that has long since been corrected.

#18 2 years ago

Just got Metallica Premium and Ghostbusters Pro and they both came with plastic protectors. I added felt and bolt protectors.

#19 2 years ago

I don't really get the bolt protectors. What purpose do they serve? It seems like they are protecting a part of the leg that nobody will ever see.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Interesting. That's around the time they started adding them. Maybe it was a one and done thing. Every NIB Stern I have bought came with the plastic ones.

#21 2 years ago

Whatever you do, don't use the oversized plastic ones. If you go plastic, use the smaller ones that don't extend beyond the leg boundaries.

The larger ones are also known as cabinet / decal - wrinklers...

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't really get the bolt protectors. What purpose do they serve? It seems like they are protecting a part of the leg that nobody will ever see.

If he's talking about the plastic washers that go between the bolt and the leg, it's a good idea. Without them, the bolt scratches the leg just enough, you can see a bit of scratched powder coating.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 16.95
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 279.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 199.99
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 9.99
    $ 79.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside