(Topic ID: 71954)

Leg Protectors - Plastic or Felt - What do ya'll recommend?

By PC-Pin-NC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_metal_leg_protectors_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

The steel leg protectors are actually best for cabinets with decals in order to avoid wrinkling. For cabinets with screened art, either plastic or felt is fine since there is nothing to wrinkle.

4 years later
    #19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mariobeans:

Do you have to drill into the cab for the metal protectors?

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

no drill but wood screws

I usually drill pilot holes. First one side, then screw it down, then the pilot holes for the other side, then screw that down. It makes things a little easier, and is less likely to split the wood, especially since you're working so close to the corners.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

So to protect the sticker you all drill extra holes into the wood of your machines?

Normally I don't like doing something that isn't easily reversible, but it's in a hidden area, and it helps protect the decals/artwork from serious damage.

Without those protectors, the legs wiggle and mash against the cabinet, causing damage/wrinkling.

For me, the trade-off is a no brainer.

Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

But won't the protectors rub just like the legs would? Something has to connect in that area.

Nope. The protectors are snug against the cabinet, and don't really move. The protectors provide a enough of a gap between the legs and the cabinet so that the edge of the legs no longer make contact with the cabinet. So, the artwork remains safe.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Do legs really dig into the cabinet?

Yes.

Quoted from Rager170:

I dont really see how thats possible.

They are bolted to the cabinet, after all.

Quoted from Rager170:

Most games these days have legs that are powder coated. How exactly is that going to cut into the machine?

Powder coating doesn't matter. If you bolt legs directly to the cabinet, they still make contact with the cabinet.

Quoted from Rager170:

Also, I would imagine if the legs are bolted tight, the pivot point for the machine is at the feet, not at the bolts?

The leg bolts are still a pivot point under stress due to the weight, regardless of how tight they are bolted.

Quoted from Rager170:

Ive never seen any cabinet damage behind my legs

If you deal with a used games, it's painfully obvious. Probably half of my games have it to one degree or another.

Quoted from Rager170:

who cares, the damage is always hidden by the legs.

Some of the damage, yes, but a lot of the damage accumulates just around the edge of the legs. That's why a lot of people use the plastic protectors to cover up the damage, since those extend past the edge of the legs.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

And no, I don't have much experience with used games, just the ones I own.

Your collection list isn't visible, so I wasn't sure what games you had.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-protectors-plastic-or-felt-what-do-yall-recommend?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.