(Topic ID: 71954)

Leg Protectors - Plastic or Felt - What do ya'll recommend?

By PC-Pin-NC

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_metal_leg_protectors_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 10 years ago

I have several machines that need some leg protectors. I think they all have decals on the cabinets. Which type of leg/cabinet protectors do you guys recommend to best protect the cabinet from problems and wear? Advantages/disadvantages of felt vs. plastic vs. something else?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

The metal ones from Stern are the best. They space the leg out, and do not extend past the leg, so there will be no wear.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711

#3 10 years ago

Not felt. The legs wiggle too much with it.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The metal ones from Stern are the best. They space the leg out, and do not extend past the leg, so there will be no wear.

I would recommend this if your cab corners are not already wrinkled or damaged otherwise I use pincab protectors on all my games.

#5 10 years ago

Tried felt - as as already mentioned, too much leg wiggle.

Pincab protectors all the way for me.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm going downstairs to inspect my current wrinklage.

2 years later
    #7 7 years ago

Awhile ago I bought a bunch of PINBALL LIFE felt leg protectors for my pins and the first chance I had to use them was last week when my my first NIB, a NIB MET LED PRO shows up and apparently Stern includes plastic protectors now, which I did not know. Anyway why let my felt go to waste so I used it on top of the Stern Plastic protectors. WOW is FELT useless makes the legs wiggle too much as this thread suggests.

So is just using the plastic protectors included on MET good enough? What about my other pins will felt be the same, useless?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Thanks guys! I'm going downstairs to inspect my current wrinklage.

it's a fine line. wrinklage vs. wigglage

#9 7 years ago

The steel leg protectors are actually best for cabinets with decals in order to avoid wrinkling. For cabinets with screened art, either plastic or felt is fine since there is nothing to wrinkle.

#10 7 years ago

I use Felt, when I dont have to cover damage. Sometimes the damage is from plastic.

I didnt know PBL has felt, so when I looked them up, I can see why "wiggle" is an issue.

Ive had good luck with these much heavier felt:
    ebay.com link: itm

Some savings too.

#11 7 years ago

Wasn't there some sort of controversy that one kind of these was actually WORSE for the machine?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Wasn't there some sort of controversy that one kind of these was actually WORSE for the machine?

The full size plastic ones can cause damage. Especially with decalled machines, never use them on those. Personally, I wouldn't use them at all (and I don't..)

For decalled machines, use the metal (or plastic, doesn't matter) stern style ones as ODIN said above. They lift the leg right away from the decal.

I have 2mm commercial felt protectors on all my machines, except for the machines that have the Stern style fitted. None of my machines "wiggle". Tighten up your bolts.

rd

#13 7 years ago

I like to use the Stern OEM protectors on all of my games
    http://pinballpro.net/shop/leg-cabinet-protectors/

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#14 7 years ago

I do too, but I prefer the original metal ones
    stern_metal_leg_protectors_(resized).jpgstern_metal_leg_protectors_(resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

i use a heavier type of felt.... no wiggle here.

4 years later
    #16 3 years ago

Do you have to drill into the cab for the metal protectors?

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from mariobeans:

no drill but wood screws

#18 3 years ago

Since we're resurrecting a 4 year old thread, I'll give a big recommendation for the Mantis protectors. Nice and thick.

https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-leg-protector-hidden/

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mariobeans:

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

no drill but wood screws

I usually drill pilot holes. First one side, then screw it down, then the pilot holes for the other side, then screw that down. It makes things a little easier, and is less likely to split the wood, especially since you're working so close to the corners.

#20 3 years ago

So to protect the sticker you all drill extra holes into the wood of your machines?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

So to protect the sticker you all drill extra holes into the wood of your machines?

Wood is made for drillin'!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

And not only a few, four for each leg so a whopping 16 holes! Omg, I would never do that.

#23 3 years ago

But won't the protectors rub just like the legs would? Something has to connect in that area.

#24 3 years ago

Personally I don't own any brand new games so all my pins have more or less wrinkles after ~25 years of abuse. This means that I use the plastic protectors that are slightly larger than the legs, but not to protect the decals but to hide the wrinkles already there.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Normally I don't like doing something that isn't easily reversible, but it's in a hidden area, and it helps protect the decals/artwork from serious damage.

Without those protectors, the legs wiggle and mash against the cabinet, causing damage/wrinkling.

For me, the trade-off is a no brainer.

Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

But won't the protectors rub just like the legs would? Something has to connect in that area.

Nope. The protectors are snug against the cabinet, and don't really move. The protectors provide a enough of a gap between the legs and the cabinet so that the edge of the legs no longer make contact with the cabinet. So, the artwork remains safe.

#26 3 years ago

Ok I can see how that can help cover up on old games. Then somewhat even out and prevent wear on new games. I won't use them but it does seem like a possible good idea in certain situations.

#27 3 years ago

Do legs really dig into the cabinet? I dont really see how thats possible. Most games these days have legs that are powder coated. How exactly is that going to cut into the machine? Also, I would imagine if the legs are bolted tight, the pivot point for the machine is at the feet, not at the bolts?

Ive never seen any cabinet damage behind my legs.. And then the other point of.. who cares, the damage is always hidden by the legs.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Do legs really dig into the cabinet?

Yes.

Quoted from Rager170:

I dont really see how thats possible.

They are bolted to the cabinet, after all.

Quoted from Rager170:

Most games these days have legs that are powder coated. How exactly is that going to cut into the machine?

Powder coating doesn't matter. If you bolt legs directly to the cabinet, they still make contact with the cabinet.

Quoted from Rager170:

Also, I would imagine if the legs are bolted tight, the pivot point for the machine is at the feet, not at the bolts?

The leg bolts are still a pivot point under stress due to the weight, regardless of how tight they are bolted.

Quoted from Rager170:

Ive never seen any cabinet damage behind my legs

If you deal with a used games, it's painfully obvious. Probably half of my games have it to one degree or another.

Quoted from Rager170:

who cares, the damage is always hidden by the legs.

Some of the damage, yes, but a lot of the damage accumulates just around the edge of the legs. That's why a lot of people use the plastic protectors to cover up the damage, since those extend past the edge of the legs.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes.

They are bolted to the cabinet, after all.

Powder coating doesn't matter. If you bolt legs directly to the cabinet, they still make contact with the cabinet.

The leg bolts are still a pivot point under stress due to the weight, regardless of how tight they are bolted.

If you deal with a used games, it's painfully obvious. Probably half of my games have it to one degree or another.

Some of the damage, yes, but a lot of the damage accumulates just around the edge of the legs. That's why a lot of people use the plastic protectors to cover up the damage, since those extend past the edge of the legs.

Interesting. Thanks.

And no, I don't have much experience with used games, just the ones I own.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

And no, I don't have much experience with used games, just the ones I own.

Your collection list isn't visible, so I wasn't sure what games you had.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Your collection list isn't visible, so I wasn't sure what games you had.

Oh, dont know why that is.. I have TWD, GB, Willy Wonka and WOZ.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Absolutely! Nothing is seen once the legs are on and it beats damage to the cabinet.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Absolutely! Nothing is seen once the legs are on and it beats damage to the cabinet.

Wouldnt the drilling of the sticker/cabinet be defeating the purpose?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Wouldnt the drilling of the sticker/cabinet be defeating the purpose?

I think all new games come with some type of protector screwed in place. It's just a standard way of doing things today.

Oh, and you don't have to screw them in place. You can just let them float.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Oh, dont know why that is.. I have TWD, GB, Willy Wonka and WOZ.

You probably already have them on your machines. GB should at least

1 week later
    #36 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You probably already have them on your machines. GB should at least

No, they arent on them. I actually dont think ive ever seen them come with a machine except for Wonka, which I threw out because I thought the felt was packing material haha.

Edit - Whoops, I forgot what we were talking about. Perhaps there is something screwed into place and I didnt realize it.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

No, they arent on them. I actually dont think ive ever seen them come with a machine except for Wonka, which I threw out because I thought the felt was packing material haha.
    Edit - Whoops, I forgot what we were talking about. Perhaps there is something screwed into place and I didnt realize it.

GB definitely has them. I have the game too. They are black plastic and look like the pic in post #13 of this thread. They are screwed in so you wouldn’t have thrown them out by accident.

And to those questioning drilling the art, It’s been a minute, but I believe it gets screwed in where the art isn’t. Regardless, it’s behind the leg so you’ll never see it, but they do prevent wrinkling, indentations and other long term damage that you would see. Like ForceFlow said, it’s a no brainer. Those of us with older games knows what this looks like and we want to avoid history repeating itself.

Hell, go find yourself a Transformers and you’ll see it. This modern game was notorious for wrinkling art by the leg area.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-protectors-plastic-or-felt-what-do-yall-recommend?hl=mariobeans and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.