(Topic ID: 158749)

Leg levelers larger than 3"

By Nokoro

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I'm can't get my WOZ playfield up to 6.5 degrees and think it might be the flooring and carpet in the area where I put it. I would like to get some leg levelers for the back legs that are taller than standard. Does anyone sell them above 3"? Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Remove the front leg levelers. Remove the jamb nut. Put the levelers back in. Put the jamb nut on top.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

Remove the front leg levelers. Remove the jamb nut. Put the levelers back in. Put the jamb nut on top.

That is simple and brilliant. And, in retrospect, somewhat obvious. Thanks!

Just in case that is not enough, are larger ones sold anywhere?

#4 7 years ago

Not that I know of. I once made some longer levelers by taking a 2" leveler and extending it with a 3/8" coupler nut and a piece of 3/8" all thread. A coupler nut is a nut that is about an inch long.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks again!

#6 7 years ago

if you want to go higher use wooden blocks

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

if you want to go higher use wooden blocks

You might want to go with a pinfooties kinda design. You don't want the game to slide off a block mid-nudge.
    faz

#8 7 years ago

put 31inch gottlieb legs on the back

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

So I went from 5.9 degrees to 6.3 by doing this which is probably close enough for me. Thanks again.

1 month later
    #10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

Not that I know of. I once made some longer levelers by taking a 2" leveler and extending it with a 3/8" coupler nut and a piece of 3/8" all thread. A coupler nut is a nut that is about an inch long.

Thinking about doing this to get the extra few tenths of a degree. Was this solution sturdy? I don't want my pin collapsing when I violently nudge it in frustration.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

Hey I learned something today. Thanks

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Thinking about doing this to get the extra few tenths of a degree. Was this solution sturdy? I don't want my pin collapsing when I violently nudge it in frustration.

If you only need to go 2 tenths of a degree, just put caster cups of pinfooties on the back legs only.

#13 7 years ago

The pin footies help me nudge on my carpet so I would like them on all legs, which I currently have. I would like to experiment by raising the back 2/10 and then some more, so I would like some flexibility. I like your solution, just want to make sure it is secure.

#14 7 years ago

I go to lowes or home depot. Look for something called a Jack nut. It's like a wide looking machine nut. Then I find all threads in the correct size. I believe these are both 3/8". The jack nut and all thread will allow you to go up another 3".

#15 7 years ago

I just picked up some locking wheels from Home Depot...4 for $20.00.
    Much better then Harbor Freight Quality.

I know...not suppose to do this, but they are about 3" or more in height.
    Maybe a pair for the back.....regular in front.
    You could unlock and lift the front to move around for cleaning etc....

Ill make a thread with pics, when completed, but for me, in a garage, it makes moving 6 games around a breeze, and I still get a good angle with the lemgth of the thread.

Just another thought.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in-Industrial-Casters-with-Bumper-4-Pack-30260PS-YOW/100658236

there are 2 and 3 inch, check weight load

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

The pin footies help me nudge on my carpet so I would like them on all legs, which I currently have. I would like to experiment by raising the back 2/10 and then some more, so I would like some flexibility. I like your solution, just want to make sure it is secure.

Yep, tighten everything down tight and it'll be fine.

#17 7 years ago

Are you measuring the angle actually ON the playfield or on the glass?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

That's what I was thinking too cuz I've never heard of only getting 5.9 at max on a modern game.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Playfield. I think my basement has a slight slope to it where the pins are that is lessening the angle for me. But perhaps I need a better measure than the pin guy app on my phone.

#20 7 years ago

1) 1 inch thick wooden pine plank (paint or stain it, if you don't like the color), cut it to the width of your game + 4 inches
    2) Don't remove the leg jamb nut, it is on the bottom for a reason.
    3) Don't screw the levelers out and further than the top of the leg to avoid stability and leg/game damage.
    4) Carpet levelers will also give you an extra 1/2" if you buy the right type.

Using a plank, gives preferred stability and ease of leveling.
    Mark the position of casters after leveling.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

The glass is steeper than the playfield, so that would throw results the other way (can't get it shallow enough).

Quoted from Nokoro:

perhaps I need a better measure than the pin guy app on my phone.

Those are usually decent, but I like this better.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4827BRDJvpbVuKvx-rIBEiQA2_CzsL5TuqYvy1VL1VbFatIlDjk407hvAfJsW40D9PfkY3IaAgyv8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

My phone has a bump on the back where the camera lens sits, and it throws off any results from apps.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

2) Don't remove the leg jamb nut, it is on the bottom for a reason.

Please explain.

#23 7 years ago

Based on the way the leg is threaded, the nut on the bottom prevents the leg from unscrewing, getting shorter, and unbalancing the machine. If you put the nut on top, the leg leveled can move freely in the downward direction.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Based on the way the leg is threaded, the nut on the bottom prevents the leg from unscrewing, getting shorter, and unbalancing the machine. If you put the nut on top, the leg leveled can move freely in the downward direction.

Oh, right. But when I put them on top for the two front legs, it is so I can put the legs down all the way anyway. No possibility that they will get shorter.

#25 7 years ago

This is why some people two standard jam nuts instead of one, on rear legs. You can get the same angle without removing bolts on front legs, as the difference in vertical height is unoticeable. Using a board (or a 2x4 if you really want an steep angle) gives flexibility in adjusting rather than overreaching a leveler and unbalancing a machine. The other advantage is you can line up the boards horizontally against a wall in a row making it easier for full runs and is practical if there are uneven floors.

#26 7 years ago

Yup you made need a wood board anyway...especially if the machine is in a row you'll never notice it. I have a dip in my basement in one spot too.

#27 7 years ago

Yeah, I'm liking the wooden board idea more and more. I think I'll hit Home Depot this weekend. I'll look at digital levels as well because I'm not sure how accurate my phone is, but I don't feel like spending $30 on a level just to level my pin.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I don't feel like spending $30 on a level just to level my pin.

You can probably find an inclinometer for a bit less money, but IMO, it's worth the extra money for the convenience of the digital level. Having your games properly leveled will make them much more fun to play, and $30 is is drop in the bucket compared to what you paid for your games.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Yeah, I'm liking the wooden board idea more and more. I think I'll hit Home Depot this weekend. I'll look at digital levels as well because I'm not sure how accurate my phone is, but I don't feel like spending $30 on a level just to level my pin.

You can use a torpedo level and mark the angle with a sharpie. 5 bucks or less. Cheaper than a physical or digital inclinometer, and just as accurate. "Multi purpose tool" in the land of one offs.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

You can probably find an inclinometer for a bit less money, but IMO, it's worth the extra money for the convenience of the digital level. Having your games properly leveled will make them much more fun to play, and $30 is is drop in the bucket compared to what you paid for your games.

I agree, but the number of one-off tools I've had to buy to support this hobby that I've never had occasion to use again is getting a little ridiculous.

#31 7 years ago

Alright, bought a piece of wood and finally got my WOZ up to 6.5 degrees. It's the first time I heard my pinguy app say "perfectly aligned". It felt good!

#32 7 years ago

"Simple is good."

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-levelers-larger-than-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.