Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bluespin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B8E51383-A15D-411C-BEB4-B9984FAE8960 (resized).jpeg
    17112D37-3C63-409E-8D80-A4D00618C476 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221015-204314_Chrome (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-204333_Chrome (resized).jpg
    166588406536678252040058785290 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2022-10-15-20-09-55-983 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I use furniture sliders under the leg levelers but I wanted something a little more substantial. I decided to make some wood coasters for the feet. One of the big pinballs suppliers has these listed on their site but they're sold out. Either way I'd rather make my own since I do a little wood working as another hobby. Here's my rough unfinished practice version. I used a random board I had lying around, and slightly rounded the edges. I used a forstner bit and made a recess about 3/8in. for the leg leveler to fit into. It turned out decent. I might make them a tad larger and the recessed hole a tad smaller, and use some nicer wood (oak or walnut) and make sets for all my machines. What do you guys think?

IMG_2022-10-15-20-09-55-983 (resized).jpgIMG_2022-10-15-20-09-55-983 (resized).jpg166588406536678252040058785290 (resized).jpg166588406536678252040058785290 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I use furniture sliders under the leg levelers but I wanted something a little more substantial. I decided to make some wood coasters for the feet. One of the big pinballs suppliers has these listed on their site but they're sold out. Either way I'd rather make my own since I do a little wood working as another hobby. Here's my rough unfinished practice version. I used a random board I had lying around, and slightly rounded the edges. I used a forstner bit and made a recess about 3/8in. for the leg leveler to fit into. It turned out decent. I might make them a tad larger and the recessed hole a tad smaller, and use some nicer wood (oak or walnut) and make sets for all machines. What do you guys think?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice. How are you addressing the question of friction between the coaster and the carpet?

I have been pondering myself what might be a nice upgrade from the furniture coasters I'm using, but one thing I really like about them is how smooth they are. It makes it really easy to push a machine around in case I need to move it away from the other machines for servicing, and it also means that little nudges during gameplay aren't wearing out the carpet.

I've thought about putting some kind of low-friction layer on the bottom of a homemade coaster, but not really sure what that would look like.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Looks nice. How are you addressing the question of friction between the coaster and the carpet?
    I have been pondering myself what might be a nice upgrade from the furniture coasters I'm using, but one thing I really like about them is how smooth they are. It makes it really easy to push a machine around in case I need to move it away from the other machines for servicing, and it also means that little nudges during gameplay aren't wearing out the carpet.
    I've thought about putting some kind of low-friction layer on the bottom of a homemade coaster, but not really sure what that would look like.

Yeah I noticed pretty quickly that these don't slide that well. I don't think you can really do anything to them to make them slide like the furniture sliders.

The reason I built these was because the furniture sliders really don't do that great of job of distributing the weight of the machines, I got some pretty good indents where the machines are sitting. I was hoping that I could use these and they would distribute the weight better than the sliders and not dent up the carpet so bad.

If I want to slide the machines out I can always crawl under and replace these with sliders. Obviously not convenient but it would only take an extra minute or two.

#4 1 year ago

Someone already makes and sells them. I have them for my machine's.

Screenshot_20221015-204314_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221015-204314_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221015-204333_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221015-204333_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Captainhook:

Someone already makes and sells them. I have them for my machine's.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, I searched here and didn't find them, but I must not have used the right word combinations. What type of flooring is under your games and what type of "footies" did you go with? Felt would probably work well with hardwood floors. I was thinking of putting cork on the underside of mine but I don't think it would do much of anything to help them slide.

#6 1 year ago

I love the look of the wood. I have thick carpet in living and game room. I use 4" diameter furniture slides. I can setup a game in the living and slide it through the door way into the game room.

If I had hardwood or some other solid surface I'd have wood coasters for sure.

#7 1 year ago

Anything you use will “dent” the carpet unless you use the spiked bottom ones. Even those will still leave a mark when left for a long time. I wouldnt worry too much about leaving marks. Just go with something you dont mind looking at and functions the way you want.

#8 1 year ago

I have carpet so I went with no felt.

#9 1 year ago

Buy these….

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Hard-Sliders-8pcs-reuse-furniture-movers-Pads-83036N12/318015323

Peel out the foam and the coasters fit inside perfectly. Your machines can then be moved around easily.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Buy these….
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Hard-Sliders-8pcs-reuse-furniture-movers-Pads-83036N12/318015323
    Peel out the foam and the coasters fit inside perfectly. Your machines can then be moved around easily.

These are the furniture sliders I use. Good idea, I was actually thinking of doing this with the ones I made.

#11 1 year ago

I use these cup style furniture sliders. 2-3/8” size. You can buy them at Target, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.

17112D37-3C63-409E-8D80-A4D00618C476 (resized).jpeg17112D37-3C63-409E-8D80-A4D00618C476 (resized).jpegB8E51383-A15D-411C-BEB4-B9984FAE8960 (resized).jpegB8E51383-A15D-411C-BEB4-B9984FAE8960 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-coasters-1?hl=spyroftw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.