(Topic ID: 103984)

Leg brackets.. Which ones do i get for williams ?

By Flippermatt

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by yuriijos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hello,

I am a newbie to pinball yet over the summer I have bought 7 Machines and I simply think this is an awesome hobby.. I have a lot to learn though.

I need new leg brackets as the bolts just swirl in their holes which make me believe the brackets are totally worn out.

Corvette
    Hurricane
    Police Force.
    Getaway

There seems to be two types available.

01-11400-1 which is the newer
    10-100.. looks smaller.

Will both types fit in my Machines ? Is the other better than the other ?

I still have no possibility to check which ones are in my games as my arcade room won´t be done for another two weeks.. I would want to have the parts ordered soonest though....

10-100 is mentioned to be for older Williams games... What is considered older ? 80:s even ?

Which ones do I get ?

thanks for any help

reg
    Matt in Sweden

#3 4 years ago

Just be aware that on some games they will not fit due to placement of the housing of the thermistors (not sure of the actual name). I know it will not fit on the front right of a Fishtales due to this.

1 month later
    #4 4 years ago

Hi there! =)

Since you live here in sweden i would suggest buying them here:
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/ben-och-benrelaterat/williamsbally-new-style-leg-bracket.html

Now, this might be old news allready for you but I send you the link anyway.

Also, while replacing them be sure to buy new leg bolts (extra long to make sure they fit with the new brackets):
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/ben-och-benrelaterat/extended-chrome-leg-bolt-2-34.html

And.. get a few cabinet protectors as well even though there might be wear on your corners allready. Why make it worse? These are the "stern style" protectors and are available in metal and plastic. I bought the plastic ones for my BOP and I am happy with them. And there are several different models, though I prefer the ones you screw in place just to make it easier when taking the legs off.
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/kabinettskydd/cabinet_protectors_metal.html

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-7309-00

Next thing you want is the tools (hylsor) to screw in/out the bolts. I bought mine at swedol and the sizes that will come in handy in this business are:

5/8" socket and 9/16" socket. I also bought an "offset ratchet"/spärrskaft for these and since the ones I bought was 3/8" sized (where you attach them to the ratchet) I bought a 3/8" one.

If I remember correctly the larger 5/8" was used by Williams and the slightly smaller 9/16" was used by Bally and Data East. If you like your new hobby you will need both =)

Last tip, some say the threaded "nuts" in these new style leg brackets may come loose after some time. So I spot welded mine to make them bullet proof. After that I cleaned them up and sprayed them with zinc spray that conducts electricity (you want to be able to ground them via the ground braid in the game to avoid electrical shocks if something goes wrong). You may also want to get some new screws for the brackets with a wider diameter than the old ones just to make the game rock solid. If you look in my BOP restoration thread you can see how I did it.

Welcome to pinside and this fantastic hobby BTW!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

Just be aware that on some games they will not fit due to placement of the housing of the thermistors (not sure of the actual name). I know it will not fit on the front right of a Fishtales due to this.

the line filter assembly box? I haven't seen a machine where it was positioned so far forward that you couldn't use the newer, heavier leg brackets (which aren't that much larger), but that's not to say that they're not out there.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the line filter assembly box? I haven't seen a machine where it was positioned so far forward that you couldn't use the newer, heavier leg brackets (which aren't that much larger), but that's not to say that they're not out there.

My Uncle's FT was too close to the front of the game and would not fit. Same with my DW. My Wh2O had no issues. You could always move the box if needed.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRingMaster:

Hi there! =)
    Since you live here in sweden i would suggest buying them here:
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/ben-och-benrelaterat/williamsbally-new-style-leg-bracket.html
    Now, this might be old news allready for you but I send you the link anyway.
    Also, while replacing them be sure to buy new leg bolts (extra long to make sure they fit with the new brackets):
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/ben-och-benrelaterat/extended-chrome-leg-bolt-2-34.html
    And.. get a few cabinet protectors as well even though there might be wear on your corners allready. Why make it worse? These are the "stern style" protectors and are available in metal and plastic. I bought the plastic ones for my BOP and I am happy with them. And there are several different models, though I prefer the ones you screw in place just to make it easier when taking the legs off.
    http://www.free-play.se/produkter/kabinettdelar/kabinettskydd/cabinet_protectors_metal.html
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-7309-00
    Next thing you want is the tools (hylsor) to screw in/out the bolts. I bought mine at swedol and the sizes that will come in handy in this business are:
    5/8" socket and 9/16" socket. I also bought an "offset ratchet"/spärrskaft for these and since the ones I bought was 3/8" sized (where you attach them to the ratchet) I bought a 3/8" one.
    If I remember correctly the larger 5/8" was used by Williams and the slightly smaller 9/16" was used by Bally and Data East. If you like your new hobby you will need both =)
    Last tip, some say the threaded "nuts" in these new style leg brackets may come loose after some time. So I spot welded mine to make them bullet proof. After that I cleaned them up and sprayed them with zinc spray that conducts electricity (you want to be able to ground them via the ground braid in the game to avoid electrical shocks if something goes wrong). You may also want to get some new screws for the brackets with a wider diameter than the old ones just to make the game rock solid. If you look in my BOP restoration thread you can see how I did it.
    Welcome to pinside and this fantastic hobby BTW!

That's a lot of good advise RingMaster, where did you get it.

#8 4 years ago

Hi Paul!

The bracket knowledge came from you and now I am spreading it! Thanks

4 years later
    #9 3 months ago

How easy/hard is replacing these leg brackets? I have 2 bolts that have stripped out, thankfully not on the same leg, and would like to replace them. Once you take the old ones out your still using the same mounting holes so just making sure those will still be sufficient. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

#10 3 months ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

How easy/hard is replacing these leg brackets? I have 2 bolts that have stripped out, thankfully not on the same leg, and would like to replace them. Once you take the old ones out your still using the same mounting holes so just making sure those will still be sufficient. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

really easy, it's obviously a lot easier if you have a lift.
    Usually takes me about 20-30 mins to replace all four, unless I need to modify one like in a SAM game.

probably a good idea to shove some tooth picks/ wood glue in the holes if your using the same mounting holes like in a later WPC game.
    one suggestion, when installing the new plate.
    Put the leg in and take the weight off of it, then mount the plate. If you have weight on it when you mount the plate, one of the bolts tends to bind up and be a pain in the ass to get in/out.

#11 3 months ago

Looks like there are 8 mounting holes for the screws to attach to the cabinet. I suppose some toothpicks with wood glue to plug the existing holes would be sufficient. Thanks for the insight.

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

I have 2 bolts that have stripped out,

Did you try retapping them ? Then a new bolt ?

LTG : )

#13 3 months ago

No I have not tried that. What size tap would I need to get?

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

What size tap would I need to get?

3/8-16 Is the bolt thread, so you'd need that size tap.

LTG : )

#15 3 months ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

Just buy 2 new plates and just use larger screws. I drilled out the 8 screw holes in my plates for #10 screws.

#16 3 months ago

Good idea thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 27.99
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 8.40
    $ 10.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside