Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

167411-i.jpg
    ACDC ARP Leg Bolts_0808.jpg
    ACDC Stern Leg Bolts_0795.jpg
    ACDC ARP Leg Bolts_0805.jpg
    ARP-613-2500.jpg
    SSbuttenheadallen.jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Has anyone swapped out their leg bolts for something a little more fancy?

I was hoping for more a machined look, like something with a allen head. Preferably in black.

#2 10 years ago

That do sell black legs bolts.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=141

Allen head will just make the next guy swear at you when he can't find a wrench for that one game where the previous owner put in non-standard bolts.

#3 10 years ago

Have not seen anything like that.

#4 10 years ago

I don't care about the next guy on this particular machine. It's a virtual. And I won't be selling it. Heck, it's barely even started yet.

#5 10 years ago

I think Black allen head leg bolts would compliment certain games, Centaur comes to mind, perhaps the Pinbot family of games.

#6 10 years ago

I've got SS button head allens on all my pins.

#7 10 years ago

it is your machine.... use whatever you like...

it isn't like they are permanent...

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

it is your machine.... use whatever you like...
    it isn't like they are permanent...

Use some locktite on Allen head button tops and strip them. Now it's permanent... Wait, what were we trying to do again?

#9 10 years ago

I just wanted to fancy-up the ugly (in my opinion) leg bolts.

I'd love to get rid of them all together, but alas, they are needed.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrofnoc:

I've got SS button head allens on all my pins.

Can you post a picture - I would like to see what this looks like.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

That do sell black legs bolts.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=141
    Allen head will just make the next guy swear at you when he can't find a wrench for that one game where the previous owner put in non-standard bolts.

Yeah these are a big improvement to the regular silver ones especially if you have black powder coat for lockdown and legs. You can also go a step further and get black leg levelers as well.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2580

#12 10 years ago

it wont help you with your look- but on a on some nice wooden wood rail legs i refinished i studded them (the cabinate) and went with some polished blind copper acorn nuts, i thought the copper set off nice against the wood.

#13 10 years ago

Here's a pic. When they're on the machine you don't notice them because they blend with the leg, which is what I wanted since I think stock bolts look nasty. Also, I always got my pockets caught on the bolt heads when sliding in between pins. No such problem with these.SSbuttenheadallen.jpgSSbuttenheadallen.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Those look nice. Where would one buy these?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Those look nice. Where would one buy these?

http://www.bowlinbolts.com/

That's where I go when I need stuff. I actually change out all hardware w/ Stainless when I do a restore. Looks SO much better.

#16 10 years ago

Those do look nice! Thanks for the picture.

Are they threaded all the way to the head? And if so, does that not concern you that the leg is then bearing on the thread instead of a bolt shank? I looked for partly threaded button head screws and could not find any.

Do you use 3/8-16 x 2.5" bolts (screws actually when they have a button head...)?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from RacerRik:

Those do look nice! Thanks for the picture.
    Are they threaded all the way to the head? And if so, does that not concern you that the leg is then bearing on the thread instead of a bolt shank? I looked for partly threaded button head screws and could not find any.
    Do you use 3/8-16 x 2.5" bolts (screws actually when they have a button head...)?

Your welcome! Thanks, I like em too
    I put them in same as the standard bolt, get them all close to tight, then start snugging them up w/ all the pins weight on them. I couldn't find them w/ shank either. Sounds like the correct size, just matched em up w/ stock ones.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrofnoc:

Also, I always got my pockets caught on the bolt heads when sliding in between pins. No such problem with these.

I've ruined two pairs of shorts this way, glad I'm not the only one.

#19 10 years ago

maybe some ARP bolts?

#21 10 years ago

That's a nice look. Do you have a part number for easy ordering?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

That's a nice look. Do you have a part number for easy ordering?

Never had a Part # for bolts, screws, etc. Just tell them the size or show them the bolt and ask for it in Stainless w/ button head allen.

#24 10 years ago

I don't see any chrome bolts there.

#26 10 years ago

These would be cool - but a bit on the spendy side...

http://www.arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail-b.php?RecordID=2470

#27 10 years ago

Here is a picture of the ARP Stainless Bolts. Way nicer than anything else available...ARP-613-2500.jpgARP-613-2500.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Ya, those are cool. Spendy indeed and I'd be rite back to ripping my pockets.

#29 10 years ago

Those are nice. Free shipping and handling here:

http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/613-2500/10002/-1

And like anything else, you can search the web for the lowest price!

Brad

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from mrofnoc:

and I'd be rite back to ripping my pockets

I don't think you would catch pockets on those. The heads are small and smooth. I just have a hard time rationalizing the price.....

#31 10 years ago

You'd only need to buy 4. No need to replace the back ones since nobody will ever see it anyways.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

You'd only need to buy 4. No need to replace the back ones since nobody will ever see it anyways.

That's not a bad idea!

#33 10 years ago

if it wasn't such a PITA to have to pull a PF out everytimeyou wanted to move, i would weld up the holes and weld nuts on the inside of the legs and bolt the legs from inside the cabinet out .

#34 10 years ago

I cannot believe leg bolts bother people this much.

Quoted from ls1chris:

if it wasn't such a PITA to have to pull a PF out everytimeyou wanted to move, i would weld up the holes and weld nuts on the inside of the legs and bolt the legs from inside the cabinet out .

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I cannot believe leg bolts bother people this much.

#36 10 years ago

Its no worse than obsessing over any other cosmetic part of pinball. Of course, "we don't play the cabinet" but you do look at it and have to slide past the nuts sometimes, so why not dress it up and prevent "pocket snag" at the same time!

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

if i was going to do this, i'd HAVE to buy 8... whether they could be seen or not, i would KNOW they were different...

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

if i was going to do this, i'd HAVE to buy 8... whether they could be seen or not, i would KNOW they were different...

OCD much?

Yeah, me too. I'd have to buy 8, too.

#39 10 years ago

Guilty as charged also.... I just bought 10 of the ARP bolts so I can use 8 on my ACDC, they are sold in 5 packs...

#40 10 years ago

By the way, if anyone wants the ARP bolts, I found them at Lightning Motorsports for $18.51 per 5 pack.

http://lightningmotorsports.rpmware.com/arp/arp_fasteners_12point_bolts/6132500/i-516516.aspx

#41 10 years ago

Cool, show a pic or two when you get em on please.

#42 10 years ago

I will do that.

#43 10 years ago

even at $18 for fricken leg bolts? THEY ARE LEG BOLTS. If they arn't rusty, they are good. Hang a drink holder on them and you won't even know they are there. It's almost like you guys try to invent things to piss money away on that don't matter. If you put all that money together, you could probably buy 5 or 20 more EM's.

#44 10 years ago

Its not pissing money away - its an investment! We all know mods are worth double your money back when you sell a game - right?

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from RacerRik:

Its not pissing money away - its an investment! We all know mods are worth double your money back when you sell a game - right?

You shouldn't even joke about stuff like this because 82% of this board will believe it.

#46 10 years ago

ARP bolts are hardened steel not used for pinball but racing applications when strength counts, if you want to get fancy buy titanium.

#47 10 years ago

If you find some even cooler looking titanium ones, let us know! Its a challenge now - who can blow the most money on such a dumb item as leg bolts.

#48 10 years ago

Speaking of blowing money - I bought the Pinbits Lightning Bolts for my ACDC. That was $150. And they put a huge smile on my face every time I play the game. I think they are just awesome, but really they don't change the way the game plays either.

It's kind of like buying nice wheels for your car - it does not make it drive any better. But it makes you feel good when you see how cool it looks.

#49 10 years ago

Titanium has a poor shear strength. You'd have to change em out every year along w/ your batteries.

#50 10 years ago

speaking of bolts, does anyone know where I can source some 8-32 x 3/4" carriage bolts in black oxide?

like these, (link below), but I only need a quantity of 100 (I don't feel like dishing out for a full case of 8,000)
    http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/partNumber/442633/CBFT/Bolts/8-32-X-34-Carriage-Bolts-Steel-Full-Thread-Black-Oxide

edit:
    found them, and of all places, ebay. go figure. now, my joust will have nice, new shiny black carriage bolts to hold the new reproduction cabinet plastics

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-bolts-that-arent-leg-bolts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.