(Topic ID: 84107)

Leg and siderail restoration - sandblast or chemical?

By TheMaze

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TheMaze
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I recently picked up 3 pinball machines (X's and O's, Whirlwind, and Freddy) for a song, but they had been stored in a damp area and had some rust on them. Working on cleaning them up, and am not sure what to do about rust on parts like the side rails, legs, etc that are too big to fit into a tumbler.

My original plan was to sandblast the legs and and side-rails, however most people seem to be recommending chemical dips. Is one preferable over the other? I could sand-blast, bead blast, or just go with the dip. If I go with the dip, is http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html a good option?

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Sandblasting removes the surface plating, so it is good if you are going to repaint.

#3 10 years ago

I would think it depends on what you plan to do as a finish.

#4 10 years ago

I would try the Evapo-rust stuff first. I also use good ol' elbow grease with steel wool. Followed up by a high quality chrome polish like Mother's or Magic Blue. Amazing how much surface rust will come off. If it's pitted, nothing will restore the finish and you may have to think about a paint of some form (or replacements).

#5 10 years ago

I just came in from my garage where I am using some Evapo-Rust right now on a rusty motorcycle gas tank. The stuff works great for rust removal but I never use it on pinball legs. It would probably work though.

To prep old pinball legs for paint I usually use paint stripper to remove most of the paint and then blast the legs with aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet to remove any remaining paint and any surface rust.

After that, all that is required is to give the legs a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol and they are ready to paint.

#6 10 years ago

Most of the parts are bare metal, so I wasn't planning on re-painting those. What about bead-blasting?

#7 10 years ago

Have you considered buying new stuff? Not something I would do if they aren't that bad but what if you put all the work into cleaning and they still look like shit?

Just a thought.

Chris Kruger

#8 10 years ago

Soda blasting will leave the old plating (unless it's very corroded).

#9 10 years ago

New is moderately expensive (for instance, a pair of side rails is $85) so I'd rather at least try and re-use what I have. I figure worst case I can sand-blast and re-plate it

#10 10 years ago

Siderails on X&O's and WW and Freddy should all be stainless steel.

You should be able to sand them if they are showing any signs of wear or rust and they will come out great. No need to replace or treat in any other fashion.

Mike O.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TheMaze:

Most of the parts are bare metal, so I wasn't planning on re-painting those. What about bead-blasting?

Bare metal legs? No wonder they are rusty.

#12 10 years ago

Well, it's possible they are clear-coated, but the WW and Freddy's legs look bare. They are bad enough that something needs to be done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leg-and-siderail-restoration-sandblast-or-chemical and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.