Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JEFrank
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Over the past couple weeks I noticed that my Elektra's left slingshot was occasionally machine gunning in short bursts. Then it would quit and act more or less normal until the next time. Last night my daughter was playing and came up to tell me that it was machine gunning constantly. So I wander down to the basement to adjust the leaf switches only to find out that they're gapped adequately and the slingshot is functioning in "reverse" - that is, once it start gunning closing either switch stops it. Closing a switch again does nothing. Wiggle the slingshot arm a bit and it starts gunning again. Close a switch and it stops. Right slingshot is functioning normally. Any thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Bad capacitor on the switch ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

These games are designed to ignore "stuck" switches to prevent endless scoring. That's why the solenoid stops when you hold the switch closed.

Try pulling the rubber to make it tighter on the slingshot side (and looser on the outlane side) so it reverberates less. If the problem goes away, consider replacing the rubbers.
The issue could also be that the switch leafs are not tensioned properly. Having them gapped right is not enough. If the switch leafs are loose, the reverberating rubber will sling the leafs making them bounce back and forth.

#4 6 years ago

I've pulled the rubber (which was replaced no more than 6 months ago) and the behavior doesn't change. Close the contact and nothing happens. Move the arm of the slingshot or even hit the playfield with your hand and the slingshot starts gunning. Close the contact and it stops and stays stopped until you repeat the behavior.

I haven't seen a capacitor on the switch, but I'll take another look. Ditto for the leaf tensioning.

#5 6 years ago

If you're banging the playfield and the slingshot activates then it sounds like a switch gap is too close or somethings come loose.
How wide are the switch gaps?
Has one of the wires come loose off one of the switches?
Has a small piece of metal junk (wire clipping?) fallen between one of the switches?

With my Ballys, I generally gap my slingshot switches to a touch over 1/16" with the rubber idle. With the rubber removed the front switch leaf opens to a gap of nearly 1/4". The rear switch leaf is hard up against the short stopper leaf that controls the gap.

#6 6 years ago

Is it possible one of the switch tensioner leaves is touching the other leaf of the switch? I'm talking about the short leaf that sits right next to one of the leaves to give it added tension.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Is it possible one of the switch tensioner leaves is touching the other leaf of the switch? I'm talking about the short leaf that sits right next to one of the leaves to give it added tension.

Or something shorting across the fiberboard spacers, flux, metal shavings, etc.

LTG : )

#8 6 years ago

Issue resolved! Once I got into the beast and really started looking I discovered that the screw holding the slingshot coil in place had fallen out and the coil was floating around. This caused the bare wires running between the switches to almost touch. Replaced the screw - after some toothpick hole repair - and repositioned the wires. Also noticed that there's some fraying on those wires so I'll likely want to replace them at some point, but things are working now, so no real hurry. Thanks for the hints guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-slingshot-functioning-oddly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.