Left side flipper weak tales from the crypt

By Killerbooger

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok, so I have replaced the coil, the EOS switches ( was having intermittent flipper issues which have now gone away). I also replaced the flipper switches. Right side is strong left side is weak. I have also reseated all connectors on the flipper board. Is it the board?

#2 8 years ago

99.999% chance it is the EOS Switch.

Jumper the 2 leaves of the EOS together, see if flipper now kicks like a mule.

Do NOT hold the flipper button in for this test.

#3 8 years ago

when they are together should the flipper move on its own is that what you are saying?

#4 8 years ago

When they are jumpered together, then you tap the flipper button on the side of the cab.

#5 8 years ago

Ok did that. Really can't tell much difference.

#6 8 years ago

Does it drive the ball at the proper strength?

#7 8 years ago

Not as strong as right. Right has a lot more juice.

#8 8 years ago

When you manually move the flipper through it's range of motion, is there any resistance?

Is the flipper loose?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

99.999% chance it is the EOS Switch.
Jumper the 2 leaves of the EOS together, see if flipper now kicks like a mule.
Do NOT hold the flipper button in for this test.

This game uses electronic flippers and stroke timing.

#11 8 years ago

No resistance on flipper. I have not checked the resistor mentioned in the service release. Will look at that. I think I am going to replace the flipper board with the newer model that doesn't have the issues that the old one has.

#12 8 years ago

Found the resistor but need to read on how to understand the color bands on it

#13 8 years ago

Ok, I have replaced the coil, the flipper board with the model shown in the maintenance release that was provided by chad, I have replaced all the linkages and all switches. The flipper is still weak. Sometimes it barely moves but it is intermittent. Any other thoughts? Really trying to figure it out.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 8 years ago

I checked the voltages again and both sides spike in voltage at around 32 then settle at 6v. You can feel the difference of the flipper force from right to left though. It seems that the left goes down quicker in voltage than the right...not sure though....i am really confused...

#15 8 years ago

I don't know if this will help , but someone had the exact same problem on his space shuttle pin and finally found out that the wires were backwards on the eos switch

#16 8 years ago

Well, that is possible. When I replaced them I put them right back where they were....I suppose it is possible the someone reversed the old ones....on this machine I would not be surprised. I'll have to see if I can find a reference somewhere that shows where they are suppose to be and check mine.

#17 8 years ago

Ok, I checked and they are blue on short and brown on long. I found an old link here in another post and there was a picture...the poster said it looked like blue long and brown short and connected it and said it worked. Wonder if someone could confirm that is correct before I change it....it appears the right side is wired the same way as the left which would mean they are both wrong. In which case I would think the the right would be weak too and it is not.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

This game uses electronic flippers and stroke timing.

Space Shuttle is a much older game that does not use electronic flippers. Can't always assume EOS switches work the same way in all games.

#19 8 years ago

Agree, I looked at this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-drop-target-tech and it is how he said it was wired based on a pic....going off of this. If this is true mine is backward.

#20 8 years ago

W.

#21 8 years ago

I reversed wires....still intermittent issues with left only.

#22 8 years ago

One thing I noticed today is that when the ball is on the flipper (rolling down) it is noticeably weaker, barely pushes the ball up the field at times.

#23 8 years ago

The EOS switches are not used in the flipper coil timing on these games. They are only there to provide an additional power pulse in the event of "flipper fold", which I have yet to see. Flipper fold is when the ball comes back so fast the the flipper drops. Maybe I never see it because I like to do drop catches. So the EOS cannot be a suspect here.

One thing not mentioned yet is the cabinet switch at the flipper button. They are low current switches, but they do wear out and cause this behavior. The flipper board has leds on it to show the state of the switches. Watch the board while pressing the flipper button. If the associated led only flickers, then you have found the problem.

#24 8 years ago

vector I changed out the switches on the cabinet to new ones. I will look at the lights though. They go on and then off I believe, so you are saying strong on then off and not a light flicker I am guessing....will check it.

2 weeks later
#25 8 years ago

Ok when I press the flipper button it comes on strong then shuts off when the flipper hits the end of the stroke to the top. Should it stay on as long as I press the button?

#26 8 years ago

I don't have that generation game here right now, so I can't tell you the correct led behavior. But since the right flipper is strong, compare the leds on the right one to what the left one is doing. When I had bad switches, the led would only flicker, so I think your switches are probably good, especially since you replaced them. Low power on a new Stern flipper is almost always due to slop in the linkage. This is because the coil receives a fixed pulse for the power stroke. If there is slop, some of the pulse time is wasted taking up the slack. You stated that you replaced the linkages, so I'm at a loss for an explanation here. The only other thing I can suggest is to re-check your work, looking for any differences between the flippers.

#27 8 years ago

You were right on the money on the "SLOP". I had someone locally come out to help me and that is exactly what it was. Oddly enough the bushing that was in there though correct and not worn had to much play between the bolt and the hole. He put in snugger parts and it seems to be ok. What is funny is that the right side is the exact same way and it seemingly has no effect that you can notice. I think that is why I didn't consider it on the left. I am going to take a look at the switch again as well as it does seem to flip harder if I really press the flipper button as compared to if I don't put quite so much pressure on it so the gap may be too wide and only getting full connection if I really hit it. Also, did find some hairline cracks in the underside of flipper which will hurt performance and the plunger stop behind the coil is indented some. I have ordered all those parts. Will see what happens next.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-side-flipper-weak-tales-from-the-crypt?hl=cusanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.