(Topic ID: 286936)

WPC Sound Balance issues. Left/Right on Congo...

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210131_114659 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_114711 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So I just picked up a Congo, and once I got it home, I noticed that the sound is heavily biased to the left speaker. Now if my memory serves, all the WPC games are in mono, aren't they? Only DE ever did stereo, right? The left speaker in the backbox is larger than the right one, which is normal, correct?

Is the sound supposed to be louder out of the left speaker, or should the sound be balanced between the two? I've taken a look at the connection to the speakers, and they seem alright, although one of the wires going into the right speaker is a little questionable.

Here's the left speaker. Not sure what that greenish crud is by the contacts, but the left speaker sound decent anyway.
IMG_20210131_114659 (resized).jpgIMG_20210131_114659 (resized).jpg

And here's the right speaker. This is the one that is quiet compared to the left.
IMG_20210131_114711 (resized).jpgIMG_20210131_114711 (resized).jpg

Also, I don't know much about speakers or sound systems. I was surprised to see a capacitor on the right speaker, is that common. Sound system noob here.

#2 3 years ago

My first step was going to be to re-do that one connection on the right speaker. But I didn't want to dive into that, if it's normal for the sound to be louder on the left speaker.

#3 3 years ago

Well, I resoldered all the speaker connections. The sound is slightly more clear now coming out of the speakers, but no change in the actual left/right balance that I can tell.

#4 3 years ago

Evening bump, in case anyone has any insight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-right-sound-balance-on-congo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.