(Topic ID: 286936)

WPC Sound Balance issues. Left/Right on Congo...

By DakotaMike

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by DakotaMike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210131_114659 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210131_114711 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

So I just picked up a Congo, and once I got it home, I noticed that the sound is heavily biased to the left speaker. Now if my memory serves, all the WPC games are in mono, aren't they? Only DE ever did stereo, right? The left speaker in the backbox is larger than the right one, which is normal, correct?

Is the sound supposed to be louder out of the left speaker, or should the sound be balanced between the two? I've taken a look at the connection to the speakers, and they seem alright, although one of the wires going into the right speaker is a little questionable.

Here's the left speaker. Not sure what that greenish crud is by the contacts, but the left speaker sound decent anyway.
IMG_20210131_114659 (resized).jpg

And here's the right speaker. This is the one that is quiet compared to the left.
IMG_20210131_114711 (resized).jpg

Also, I don't know much about speakers or sound systems. I was surprised to see a capacitor on the right speaker, is that common. Sound system noob here.

#2 10 months ago

My first step was going to be to re-do that one connection on the right speaker. But I didn't want to dive into that, if it's normal for the sound to be louder on the left speaker.

#3 10 months ago

Well, I resoldered all the speaker connections. The sound is slightly more clear now coming out of the speakers, but no change in the actual left/right balance that I can tell.

#4 10 months ago

Evening bump, in case anyone has any insight.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside