• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by epeabs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN0804.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epeabs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I have been cleaning up my new to me Dr. Dude, replacing a few burnt bulbs, a fuse, etc. The fuse I replaced was for the left playfield G.I., a 5A, it worked great for a couple of games, and then I realized the left playfield lights were out again. I have not replaced the fuse again yet, obviously something is causing it to blow. Any thoughts on direction for troubleshooting? I have visually looked under the playing wiring following the left G.I. and have found no visible shorts, accidental groundings, etc. Nothing looks wrong to me in the backbox, nothing burned or dark around the F4 fuse area.

#5 11 years ago

I will look at both of these possibilities tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

#6 11 years ago

It is definately a 5A sol-blo KenLayton. I bought them today. Thx.

#8 11 years ago

I have pulled all the bulbs out of the left playfield GI (wow, a lot of bulbs). I had several that were out. Played several games, no blown fuse. Do you think it could have just been several blown bulbs that would pop the fuse? At this time I will install each bulb and try it and see what happens.

#9 11 years ago

I have re-installed all the left playfield GI lights one at a time. None of them blew the fuse. I have played quite a few games since and "knock on wood" have not blown the fuse. I am hoping it was just the several blown bulbs that were causing the fuse to pop.

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

I am starting to get more confused. I have played numerous games with the left playfield GI not popping the fuse, but it is now popping it. I have looked again at bulbs, none are out with a new fuse installed. The last time I installed a new fuse, it popped as soon as I pressed the credit button. The thing that is making me more confused, is if this is somehow connected to another post I had started concerning the Left Top Popper not popping the ball in "Super Dude" mode (http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/couple-small-issues-with-dr-dude). This occurred when the left playfield GI was not popping and was working. Now with the left playfield fuse popped, I have shot into the Left Top Popper during "Super Dude" mode and everything seems to work great. I'm not sure the direction to proceed and if these might be connected or if it is just a coincidence.

#14 11 years ago

I am not seeing any on the front of the board. I am thinking I should probably pull the board and look from the back?

#16 11 years ago

I have pulled the interconnect board to look at the back. As a noob, it looks fine to me. Anything I am not seeing? I was hoping to find something.

DSCN0804.JPGDSCN0804.JPG

#18 11 years ago

I have removed and re-installed all the connectors. Nothing looks tarnished or burnished. They all look great. I will have to dig in another direction.

3 weeks later
#19 11 years ago

Upon reassembling a fair portion of my playfield following a Treasure Cove polish job, I took my time to look for answers concerning my blowing fuse. I had placed a new fuse in again, and it instantly blew upon turning on the machine (worse situation than originally). I started tracing every bulb from under the playfield. I replaced a somewhat crushed area of wire going to a bulb (it looked worse from the insulation than the inner wire did), but the big issue I found was a bulb socket with one strand of wire shorting positive to negative under the Big Shot area. I think this had been intermittent but got worse while playing and became continuous. I don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched, but it was a good feeling to "find" something that was out of place. So far, the fuse has not popped, and hopefully and won't.

#21 11 years ago

Me too! Thanks. I wasn't even sure I saw it myself, and it was so small it blew my mind that it could affect a fuse with a much larger "diameter" than the short itself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jesup, GA
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epeabs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-playfield-gi-fuse-blowing-on-dr-dude?tu=epeabs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.