(Topic ID: 190109)

Left lane lights always on (when they shouldn't be)

By Cserold

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cserold
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lamp+diode.jpg
it is all in the manual.jpg
FTRight (resized).jpg
FTLeft (resized).jpg
IMG_7353 (resized).JPG
IMG_7339 (resized).JPG
IMG_7338 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

My left lane lights are always lit and blinking on my FT. Left outlane is the "special" light and always on. I've replaced both diodes and resolderes all connections on the little two light board in pics below but same issue. Any ideas? Could the board itself be bad? Can these boards be purchased? Thank you pinsiders.

IMG_7338 (resized).JPGIMG_7338 (resized).JPG

IMG_7339 (resized).JPGIMG_7339 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

They are controlled lamps. So there should be no power going to them until they need to light.

So it should not be at those boards. You need to find out why they are getting power.

First - Is this a new issue that started happening with a game or a new game that came with the issue?
Second - Did you put those LEDs in or have they been working fine?
Third - What happens when you put it in test mode for single lamps? Are they always on or on when they are supposed to be on AND on when a one or more other different lamp light?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

They are controlled lamps. So there should be no power going to them until they need to light.
So it should not be at those boards. You need to find out why they are getting power.
First - Is this a new issue that started happening with a game or a new game that came with the issue?
Second - Did you put those LEDs in or have they been working fine?
Third - What happens when you put it in test mode for single lamps? Are they always on or on when they are supposed to be on AND on when a one or more other different lamp light?

Thanks Taxman This issue was noticed after I did a full restore on the game. Played it only a couple of times before the restore and don't know if the issue was present or not.

The LEDs in the pic were the ones I put in when restoring game. Sorry, not sure I understand second question.

I will check question 3 when I get home. At an invigorating dance recitial.

Appreciate the help man

#4 6 years ago

I see the inlane is Light Long Cast L#58 and the outlane is Special L#48. The Special lamp on the right outlane is also L#48 so if one is lit the other should be also.

So is the right outlane special lit at the same time?

#5 6 years ago

No, the right one works correctly. So strange

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

No, the right one works correctly. So strange

Very strange. Sounds like a wire is in the wrong place. If there were wired correctly but had a short that illuminated one they would both light. I would think they are daisy chained. Take a picture underneath the right lanes also.

Definitely do the single lamp test and watch as you step through.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Very strange. Sounds like a wire is in the wrong place. If there were wired correctly but had a short that illuminated one they would both light. I would think they are daisy chained. Take a picture underneath the right lanes also.

Perhaps that's it. I've just focused on wiring of left lane lights. Maybe i screwed something up on right lanes. Everything was resoldered during restoration so quite possible. Will post pic soon. Thank you!

#8 6 years ago

Here is pic of right lane lights

IMG_7353 (resized).JPGIMG_7353 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Posted pic above

#10 6 years ago

So, I took a quick look at a mostly working Fish Tales and here are my findings and thoughts. I say mostly because it has been sitting kindof apart for a couple of years. I put a ball in the shooter lane but would not launch. Other coils were firing but after all drain it did not put another in the lane so it might have blown a fuse. And a bunch of lamps are out. Thanks, now I have work to do.

Anyway, when you start a game the inlanes on both sides are lit. So the left lane lit and flashing might be working but maybe the LED you put in is a flasher or causing and issue. I'm not a big LED guy and I have seen way too many issues caused depending on the LED and system. I would take out the LEDs and put incandescent bulbs in all 4 sockets until you are sure the game is functioning right. Why introduce extra variables.

Looking under I think the boards are wired the same. The fact that the left in-lane, right in-lane and 2 specials in the outlanes are 48, 58, 68 means to me the issues is right here. Same row, two are wired together, you just did diode work...

Don't do anything until you put in 4 lamps ant run through the test for single lamps.

Here are my boards -

FTLeft (resized).jpgFTLeft (resized).jpg

FTRight (resized).jpgFTRight (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

It looks like the diodes are pointing to the yellow wires but it should be to red.
If so, then swap the red and yellow wires.

it is all in the manual.jpgit is all in the manual.jpg
lamp+diode.jpglamp+diode.jpg

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

It looks like the diodes are pointing to the yellow wires but it should be to red.
If so, then swap the red and yellow wires.

I wonder if I inverted the board when putting back in. The wires are positioned the same as all other games but do you think I need to disconnect all wires flip the board then reconnect in the same positions as shown?

#13 6 years ago

Yes, look at the picture of my board. On mine the diodes are on the bottom and yours your are on the top. Look at the solder pads.

You did it right on the right side but the left side you rotated 180.

#14 6 years ago

Well, crap. Good eye guys. Learned something new to look for. Appreciate it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-lane-lights-always-on-when-they-shouldnt-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.