• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191005_191554 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi.
The left kicker on Firepower doesn't register when lit and doesn't release the ball when not lit. It does release after the game ends.I replaced transistor Q27 and the diode and cleaned and checked the switch but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20191005_191554 (resized).jpgIMG_20191005_191554 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Do all the other playfield switches work?

Have you tried cleaning/adjusting the switch? You can use a business card, clean piece of paper or $100 bill to slide between the switch contacts.

Verify the wiring is tightly attached to the solder lugs as well as the diode.

Sounds like the coil is ok, so I'd focus on the switch for now.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Do all the other playfield switches work?
Have you tried cleaning/adjusting the switch? You can use a business card, clean piece of paper or $100 bill to slide between the switch contacts.
Verify the wiring is tightly attached to the solder lugs as well as the diode.
Sounds like the coil is ok, so I'd focus on the switch for now.

As I mentioned, I cleaned and checked the switch and yes, the wires are tightly attached. Only top centre standup target not scoring...sounds are messed up also, not that it's relevant. Keeps repeating ' you won one mission'.

#4 4 years ago

Have you tested the switch for continuity with a meter? Might just be worn out contacts (especially if they ever got filed, which will damage the gold plating on the switch). I know a lot of Williams switch stacks were assembled improperly, so the stack has one contact facing the back side of the other contact...if that's the case, you may just want to replace the switch anyway for long-term reliability.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tested the switch for continuity with a meter? Might just be worn out contacts (especially if they ever got filed, which will damage the gold plating on the switch). I know a lot of Williams switch stacks were assembled improperly, so the stack has one contact facing the back side of the other contact...if that's the case, you may just want to replace the switch anyway for long-term reliability.

No, I haven't checked for continuity. The kicker worked fine until the other day so I guess it was assembled okay. I stuck the picture up because I thought someone might spot something...like the switch with nothing attached.

#6 4 years ago

Does it register in switch test? It's definitely not the original switch, williams didn't use switch stacks like that with all the holes... those are gottliebs'. Ignore that the game ejects them at the end of the game, that routine is 'dumb' - it just ejects all 3 holes regardless of their contents.

It's on the same row as the top center target so it's possible that the row chain is bad. Check the other switches on that row, follow the wiring around the playfield and tug on each set of wires (there should be 2 going to each switch except for the last one in the chain which is not necessarily the last switch logically in the row)

The lug without a wire on it in your picture if that's the blade, it might have been bent to touch the lug with the diode as that's where the diode would go. Maybe whoever rebuilt the switch stack just bent the lugs together instead of soldering a short jumper.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Does it register in switch test? It's definitely not the original switch, williams didn't use switch stacks like that with all the holes... those are gottliebs'. Ignore that the game ejects them at the end of the game, that routine is 'dumb' - it just ejects all 3 holes regardless of their contents.
It's on the same row as the top center target so it's possible that the row chain is bad. Check the other switches on that row, follow the wiring around the playfield and tug on each set of wires (there should be 2 going to each switch except for the last one in the chain which is not necessarily the last switch logically in the row)
The lug without a wire on it in your picture if that's the blade, it might have been bent to touch the lug with the diode as that's where the diode would go. Maybe whoever rebuilt the switch stack just bent the lugs together instead of soldering a short jumper.

It's an early prototype/ sample game with a lot of weird switches n such. It has two different sized flipper buttons and is wired from the factory for drop targets too. Only switch 57 is registering in the test. If a row chain is bad, how do I fix that? Thanks for your help.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Only switch 57 is registering in the test.

You should get all closed switches registering. With the 3 balls in the trough the switch test should cycle through 51, 57, and 58.

Quoted from the4horse:

If a row chain is bad, how do I fix that?

Quoted from slochar:

follow the wiring around the playfield and tug on each set of wires

If there's a loose wire tugging lightly on it will cause it to come off or you would be able to tell that the wire isn't making good contact. To fix that you solder the wire back onto the lug. There will be 2 lugs on each switch that have wires going to them - each lug will have 2 wires except for the ones that are at the end of the line, they only have one. The rows should all be white wires with varying colors of stripes (your eject hole is on row 5, white with a green stripe).

For that era machine (for my firepower specifically) I rebuild every single switch stack with new parts - like Frunch said, some were filed or put together wrong at the factory. 40 years has taken its toll. I replaced all the switches in my firepower for exactly this reason.

The early production/proto wiring isn't as uncommon as you'd think. Lots of the wire harnesses came out of the factory with the wiring in place. What's odder is if you have the playfield with the cutout for the 10 pt standup switch behind the 1-6 targets.

I've played a retrofit FP with the drops installed, it's not as "in your face" as good standups that rocket the ball back at you (and down the outlanes) which I find challenging. I was originally going to retrofit mine since I have the parts, but decided not to. (it might be interesting to see if a retrofit drop bank PLUS standups ala Bally would shoehorn in there, but I don't think there's room.... I'd have to come up with another type of standup for it to fit. That way, your first lock would be 'easy' to light with the drops, but the subsequent ones would be difficult.)

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You should get all closed switches registering. With the 3 balls in the trough the switch test should cycle through 51, 57, and 58.

If there's a loose wire tugging lightly on it will cause it to come off or you would be able to tell that the wire isn't making good contact. To fix that you solder the wire back onto the lug. There will be 2 lugs on each switch that have wires going to them - each lug will have 2 wires except for the ones that are at the end of the line, they only have one. The rows should all be white wires with varying colors of stripes (your eject hole is on row 5, white with a green stripe).
For that era machine (for my firepower specifically) I rebuild every single switch stack with new parts - like Frunch said, some were filed or put together wrong at the factory. 40 years has taken its toll. I replaced all the switches in my firepower for exactly this reason.
The early production/proto wiring isn't as uncommon as you'd think. Lots of the wire harnesses came out of the factory with the wiring in place. What's odder is if you have the playfield with the cutout for the 10 pt standup switch behind the 1-6 targets.
I've played a retrofit FP with the drops installed, it's not as "in your face" as good standups that rocket the ball back at you (and down the outlanes) which I find challenging. I was originally going to retrofit mine since I have the parts, but decided not to. (it might be interesting to see if a retrofit drop bank PLUS standups ala Bally would shoehorn in there, but I don't think there's room.... I'd have to come up with another type of standup for it to fit. That way, your first lock would be 'easy' to light with the drops, but the subsequent ones would be difficult.)

Yes, mine has the cutouts and switches behind the standups but I'm happy leaving it as is. The balls were already in the shooter lane...I guess that's why the other two switches didn't register. I'll check all those wires but there's also a sound problem whereby the phrase ' you won one mission' replaces other sound and speech during the game. Sometimes it repeats over and over. I've had the sound and speech boards serviced and was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or might know where I should look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-kicker-not-registering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.