(Topic ID: 297342)

Left flipper weak on Gottlieb Stargate (System 3)

By mystman12

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20211210_190430312 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211210_190416392.MP (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago

Funny because I ran into the same issue after rebuilding flippers on the same game.

You say you rebuilt the flippers. Did you replace the EOS switch and capacitor? Either way, check the resistance across the closed EOS switch. Should be less than .5 ohms (half an ohm). If more than that, file or sand the contacts to get it lower. New EOS switch contacts often have oxidation on them and all the power for flippers goes through those contacts. If you replaced the EOS wires, make sure the new wires are 18 gauge. Flippers use a lot of power and need big wires to move that power.

Same goes for flipper button switches. Clean those contacts too. 400 grit sandpaper works fine on new high power contacts.

Once you're sure the contacts are good, make sure the EOS switch isn't opening too early. Should be 1/8" gap at the most when flipper is all the way up. If it opens too early, you won't make the right ramp.

Lastly, check your pitch. Should be 6.5 degrees tops.

4 months later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Check the resistance across the closed EOS switch. Should be less than .5 ohms (half an ohm). If more than that, file or sand the contacts to get it lower.

Power off when testing.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

It's basically brand new so it shouldn't have any resistance issues.

Virtually every brand new high power normally closed EOS has resistance issues. The contacts are made with metals that encourage corrosion. The corrosion isn't visible to the naked eye, but a meter will quickly show differently. I've had brand new switches register over 50 ohms of resistance. A light sanding usually gets you under 1 ohm. Are you sure you checked yours?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I'm still wondering, is the VDC I measured off the flippers correct?

It shouldn't be anywhere near 90 volts. Try another meter. Should stay around 65 volts. If it still goes up near 90, high voltage section needs repair.

Even with rebuilt flippers, the right ramp shot isn't easy. Especially from a cradle. Should be able to shoot the right ramp from a cradle, but not by much power-wise. Try replacing or swapping the caps across the EOS switches. I got one from PBR that wasn't right. You haven't mentioned if you checked to see if the EOS is opening too early. Do so if you haven't already. Pitch doesn't look too steep in the video, but verify you're at 6.5 degrees or less *between the flippers* with a digital level.

#18 2 years ago

Good point. He asked more than once about the voltages and I knew 90 volts was too much. I checked mine because it didn't sound right. Bad meter, wrong settings or test points, but 90 volts should definitely not be happening for real. Right ramp would be easy money at 90 volts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/left-flipper-weak-on-gottlieb-stargate-system-3?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.