Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

This may be a silly question, but I'm thinking about adding LEDs to a couple of older SS machines. I found kits online, but would I merely have to change the bulbs or would I have to change the connectors too?

Also, do the color kits show you which light goes where?

Thanks in advance...

#2 11 years ago

They're just like regular bulbs in the sense that there are 44's, 555's ...as long as it has the same base, just pop 'em in like bulbs. Aside from the base there are a ton of different styles w/ different types of brightness and light spread.

#3 11 years ago

LEDs come with bayonet bases or wedge bases.

So you only need to change the bulbs to LEDs.

No need to worry about changing sockets or connectors.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Not a silly question ... I was kinda wondering that myself. Thanks for the post!

#5 11 years ago

See... this is the reason why I registered with Pinside. If I was to ask this question on the other site I used to like, I would be called an idiot by the trolls. Pinsiders have been very helpful and nice during my brief time here. Thanks everyone for the quick response!

#6 11 years ago

...all right... while I'm on a roll...

One of the machines is a Bally Playboy. What tool do I use to disassemble the plastics with? The fasteners are small white plastic . I ask this because I'm ordering the LEDs and other items from Marco and want to get the tool, too.

Thanks again

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

...all right... while I'm on a roll...
    One of the machines is a Bally Playboy. What tool do I use to disassemble the plastics with? The fasteners are small white plastic . I ask this because I'm ordering the LEDs and other items from Marco and want to get the tool, too.
    Thanks again

5/16 nut driver will do the trick! Or try your fingers...they might not be on that tight!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

5/16 nut driver will do the trick! Or try your fingers...they might not be on that tight!

Awesome.... Thank you for the info!

#9 11 years ago

I've had weird issues where the sockets on the pop bumpers don't like LED wedge bulbs for some reason

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

This may be a silly question, but I'm thinking about adding LEDs to a couple of older SS machines. I found kits online.....
    Also, do the color kits show you which light goes where?
    Thanks in advance...

Most kits have a map of what color bulbs go where, but some don't. Also, it's not uncommon for the maps to have some errors.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from kmoore88:

Most kits have a map of what color bulbs go where, but some don't. Also, it's not uncommon for the maps to have some errors.

Thanks... I think I'm going to order from Marco tonight.

I bought my WOF with LEDs and it looks amazing. I want to do my Bally Playboy next (very few bulbs in comparison) and I noticed Marco had a colored LED package.

If that goes well, I might tackle my TSPP next.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

and I noticed Marco had a colored LED package.

Don't know what marco prices are, but they used to be horrible. Cointaker are liked by a lot of people and you can get a pinside discount. Pinballlife.com sells LEDs also and people think they're great. I would work with those 2 before Marco.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've had weird issues where the sockets on the pop bumpers don't like LED wedge bulbs for some reason

Usually the LED doesn't have enough or fat enough lead. Bend it out away from the base a little and it will work better.

LTG : )

#14 11 years ago

Pismo, before you place an order, let me give you a few more pointers that I wish someone gave me (I bought a kit for my SMB and it came with basic lamps, no anti-ghosting or anything):

Unless you get an LED that's specifically anti-ghosting, most LEDs will display a dim, flickering light when 'off' in an insert lamp socket. The reasoning is I guess some pins like my Gottlieb SMB send small amounts of voltage that is 'off' for an incandescent and slightly on for LEDs. So I can recommend you get anti-ghosting LEDs for sure.

Also keep in mind that another feature of LEDs is the amount of physical LEDs in the one bulb. So Cointaker sells one, two and 3-LED bulbs. I found 2 is more than enough for inserts.

Any lamps that are visible to the eye (GI lamps where you can see the lightbulb) I would recommend a frosted bulb.

LEDs aren't as wide angle as incandescents. bulbs that point to an insert at an angle may not be suitable for regular LED replacement. You may want one of the multi-bulb LEDs in that case.

overall don't buy a bunch the first time, at least from what I found. buy a few, give it trial and error to see how a bulb works. After having bought a kit, I wouldn't buy another.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know what marco prices are, but they used to be horrible. Cointaker are liked by a lot of people and you can get a pinside discount

+1 on Cointaker. I like the frosted. I recently saw a PB with pink frosted retros in it from Cointaker....looked spiffy

#16 11 years ago

Early SS pins have a problem with LED flickering on
    features. GI work fine since they are not switched.

If you try LED on feature, and it flickers, but you like the LED
    you might want to consider the alltek ultimate led

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know what marco prices are, but they used to be horrible. Cointaker are liked by a lot of people and you can get a pinside discount. Pinballlife.com sells LEDs also and people think they're great. I would work with those 2 before Marco.

Actually, Marco was cheaper by sixty dollars, although I've read that their LEDs are not as good quality as others.

Quoted from Richthofen:

Pismo, before you place an order, let me give you a few more pointers that I wish someone gave me (I bought a kit for my SMB and it came with basic lamps, no anti-ghosting or anything):
    Unless you get an LED that's specifically anti-ghosting, most LEDs will display a dim, flickering light when 'off' in an insert lamp socket. The reasoning is I guess some pins like my Gottlieb SMB send small amounts of voltage that is 'off' for an incandescent and slightly on for LEDs. So I can recommend you get anti-ghosting LEDs for sure.
    Also keep in mind that another feature of LEDs is the amount of physical LEDs in the one bulb. So Cointaker sells one, two and 3-LED bulbs. I found 2 is more than enough for inserts.
    Any lamps that are visible to the eye (GI lamps where you can see the lightbulb) I would recommend a frosted bulb.
    LEDs aren't as wide angle as incandescents. bulbs that point to an insert at an angle may not be suitable for regular LED replacement. You may want one of the multi-bulb LEDs in that case.
    overall don't buy a bunch the first time, at least from what I found. buy a few, give it trial and error to see how a bulb works. After having bought a kit, I wouldn't buy another.

An excellent suggestion...I've got a couple of LEDs left over from my WOF. I'll try those before I make the plunge.... Thanks!

Quoted from BigBird0000:

Early SS pins have a problem with LED flickering on
    features. GI work fine since they are not switched.
    If you try LED on feature, and it flickers, but you like the LED
    you might want to consider the alltek ultimate led

I'll check out Alltek... glad I didn't make an impulse buy last night. Thank you for the info!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Actually, Marco was cheaper by sixty dollars, although I've read that their LEDs are not as good quality as others.

Wow...things sure have changed! But I've never seen the type they sell in person so cannot comment on how well they work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ledsare-they-universal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.