• Latest reply 6 years ago by SealClubber
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I recently purchased a TAF and am slowly starting to clean it. All of the incandescent bulbs work, but quite a few of them have a blackish haze on the top of the bulb, which I understand means that they may burn out soon. As I think about replacing bulbs and making additional lighting mods (it has no mods whatsoever), do people have advice on whether to switch to LEDs or stay with incandescents? I've seen newer machines with LEDs that look sharp, but I am not sure if this "modern" look is a good fit for an Addams. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

I have LEDs on my TAF, I think it looks great. It really brightens up the look. Couple that with the color DMD and you have a real beauty IMO.

#3 7 years ago

I swithed to LEDs on my TAF's inserts and on the GI lighting under the blue plastics in the rear of the playfield only. I left all other GI lighting incandescents.

If you're gonna do the inserts in LEDs, get non-ghosting styles or be sure to patch your ROM with the non-ghosting patch, otherwise you're gonna have ghosting which is annoying.

I just can't get used to LEDs for use in GI of Williams/Bally games yet. Maybe someday if LED technology progresses to a point where I can't tell the difference.

#4 7 years ago

Incandecent all the way, unless you are going to go with that system that allows for the natural look with the LEDs. I think its called OCD or somthing. Otherwise, LEDs look horrible on these games that weren't designed for them, you lose all of the fading effects.

#5 7 years ago

I just did a full LED package on my TAF from Cointaker and I really really love it. I love that I can now actually see "THING" on the playfield and it is not some hazy looking plastic I could never make out.

Is it for everyone, nope, but I think it looks really good to me.

Now all that being said and watched, it can be very very bright, but I do like it. I spent the extra $20 on the cointaker web site to do the Premium non-ghostings bulbs, and it is worth it. I had one of them that actually was still ghosting, and Cointaker sent me a replacement without any hassles at all. Here is a link to their page:

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=20

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the before and after, this is not mine, but one I watched before I decided to do it:

Another that I had watched:

Best of luck in your decision.

Phil

#6 7 years ago

Get pinballbulbs' top end kit for TAF you won't regret it at all . . .

#7 7 years ago

Modded and led'd my TAF out looks super!image.jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Incandecent all the way, unless you are going to go with that system that allows for the natural look with the LEDs. I think its called OCD or somthing. Otherwise, LEDs look horrible on these games that weren't designed for them, you lose all of the fading effects.

Machines were "designed" with Incondescents because that's all that was available for them. LEDs done in a tasteful way make these machines look way better than with incondescents. Use warm white retrospect for the GI and color matching for the inserts if you want a more traditional look and you will have a brighter gaming experience that will enhance gameplay.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Machines were "designed" with Incondescents because that's all that was available for them. LEDs done in a tasteful way make these machines look way better than with incondescents. Use warm white retrospect for the GI and color matching for the inserts if you want a more traditional look and you will have a brighter gaming experience that will enhance gameplay.

Yes and no. Without the pinball OCD that lapeon111 is referencing, you will not see any fading in and out of the lights. Some people prefer the fade.

#10 7 years ago

I digress, you have a point there

#11 7 years ago

Thanks everyone!

#12 7 years ago

Taf really benefits from leds as its a pretty dark game. Match the color inserts and youll be fine. I made the greed inserts green. Led flashers for the topper are a must.

#13 7 years ago

I have my TAF next to FH & NGG. Both are LED'ed already. TAF looks like it is broken, as it is so dark and dull. I am very conservative, frosted white single LED for GI and color coordinated single LED for inserts. You will be amazed. The whites are white, not yellow/brown. The colors pop. The game is brighter, but not overly bright. I don't quite know what words to use - it looks like this is what the game was meant to look like? It's like there was a plan, but technology couldn't fulfill the plan before.

For me, there is no question on whether to LED my TAF or not, it's coming up with the proper look and amount of light for my tastes. The key is "my taste". LED's seem to be different than incandescents - in that we all see LED's differently. You need to play around with different types and figure out what "you" like best. It may be muted, blindingly bright, colors galore, or somewhere in between.

#14 7 years ago

It would be nice if people started posting some sort of road maps on which leds to use and where to install to get a certain outlook (which would be shown in pictures).

1 year later
#15 6 years ago

Stay with incandescents!

#16 6 years ago

I have 3 LED OCD boards in my pins. Love 'em! It's like going from a squared edged countertop to one with rounded edges. The fade makes all the difference in the look.

#17 6 years ago

LEDs by far !

#18 6 years ago

I have LEDs in ours and I really like it a lot. I think it brightens up the whole machine. I will suggest leaving the flashers though, I finally changed them out after being blinded for a few years.

#19 6 years ago

I agree, flashers are usually too bright, unless they are under the playfield. I LED everything else. Go OCD.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside