New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175972)

LEDs on routed pins - how do they hold up?

By ShopRat

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ShopRat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Looking for input from operators on your experience with LEDs on routed games. Really only wanting to do the GI on a Sys 11 (WW) to reduce backbox heat and lessen strain on the GI circuit. Pins are left on 24/7.

I am leaning toward the Ablaze Super bright Ghost Buster (Warm White) frosted 1-SMD-LED from PBL for the application, as I have other items to order from them. These are the larger brighter 5050 SMD. Any problems fitting these to the games (socket/playfield interference, etc)?

Thanks in advance - this has probably been covered before, but the topic didnt seem to turn up in search.

SR

#2 3 years ago

I have a few machines on route, some are System 11. Every one of them has these in them: http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-2smd-ct-ft.htm

Get the frosted dome in natural white and don't look back.

#3 3 years ago

If you avoid the Chinese ones from Alibaba and go with a quality product like Comet, they should last years.

#4 3 years ago

I have COMET 2SMD warm frosted in ALL my games.

TAF has been on route for nearing 4 years now. Bar is open 7 days a week from 11am till 2am. I have been very happy and zero failure rate at this stage.

#5 3 years ago

My games get heavy play and I have had some LED bulb failures but not very many. Usually it is one of the wire leads comes off the back of the tiny led board. I only use the cheaper frosted leds for backbox sockets as the bright ones will create glare on the pf glass.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from ShopRat:

Looking for input from operators on your experience with LEDs on routed games. Really only wanting to do the GI on a Sys 11 (WW) to reduce backbox heat and lessen strain on the GI circuit. Pins are left on 24/7.
    I am leaning toward the Ablaze Super bright Ghost Buster (Warm White) frosted 1-SMD-LED from PBL for the application, as I have other items to order from them. These are the larger brighter 5050 SMD. Any problems fitting these to the games (socket/playfield interference, etc)?
    Thanks in advance - this has probably been covered before, but the topic didnt seem to turn up in search.
    SR

Ablaze 1 are great for small inserts, especially with LEDOCD, but will look spotty/terrible in a backbox. I used some Comet faceted LEDs, then lightly sanded them to eliminate hot spots.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have COMET 2SMD warm frosted in ALL my games.
    TAF has been on route for nearing 4 years now. Bar is open 7 days a week from 11am till 2am. I have been very happy and zero failure rate at this stage.

next time you go to maintain it pop a new one in a place just for fun. grab a pic and post it. curious as to the amount of degradation present. Light falloff is usually pretty fast in LEDs then levels off to a slower decline. LED failure is not computed as a full loss of function but rather 50% less of initial brightness.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

next time you go to maintain it pop a new one in a place just for fun. grab a pic and post it. curious as to the amount of degradation present. Light falloff is usually pretty fast in LEDs then levels off to a slower decline. LED failure is not computed as a full loss of function but rather 50% less of initial brightness.

actually TAF was home just 3 months ago for a full tear down and shop out. I did that exact test and was happy to see ZERO degredation or loss of output. I was surprised, but happy.

Iam super sensitive to LEDs also so would notice the difference quickly.

I have been very happy with the COMET LEDS. Other brands, not so much... I tried a cheaper brand from a company on the wet coast and they actually degraded and failed quickly. I got tired of replacing those bulbs (as you know some are a PITA to change out) and finally tore down that game and tossed them all, replacing with the good ones.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

actually TAF was home just 3 months ago for a full tear down and shop out. I did that exact test and was happy to see ZERO degredation or loss of output. I was surprised, but happy.
    Iam super sensitive to LEDs also so would notice the difference quickly.
    I have been very happy with the COMET LEDS. Other brands, not so much... I tried a cheaper brand from a company on the wet coast and they actually degraded and failed quickly. I got tired of replacing those bulbs (as you know some are a PITA to change out) and finally tore down that game and tossed them all, replacing with the good ones.

In 4 years there had to be falloff of output. Maybe it was minimal which is great if so. If you still have some try getting a pic of a new and old one together and pop that into PS to see the difference. It's great if they were visually similar after that amount of time, but what were the actual differences. obviously visual is what matters, but from an objective standpoint it would be interesting to see.

#11 3 years ago

I've had LEDs in all my location games for 4+ years. Some bulbs have completely failed, some become quite dim and others still look great. The failures are typically common to a given style and/or manufacturer with early 2 leds (non SMD) experiencing the highest rate of failure.

In my opinion those failures were all due to improper selection of the electronics driving the LEDs. The LED chips/bulbs themselves are very sensitive to voltage and over driving them with the wrong regulator/resistor circuits can cause and early demise.

The failures are much less common in recently manufactured bulbs as they have been improving the electronics driving the LEDs continuously over time.

#12 3 years ago

^ what he said.

And LEDs in routed pins is a no brainer, IMO, especially if you have to leave them on 24/7.

#13 3 years ago

All,

Thanks for the response - very informative and just the feedback i needed.

SR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 90.00
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.95
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 6,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.25
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside