Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know....the LED subject has been hashed over often here but I've learned that most people tend to lean towards CoinTaker. I'm needing to buy the kit. CoinTaker is more spendy than other guys but my question is... Are they worth it or would I get the same quality.... brightness/colors/non-ghosting etc someplace else cheaper? Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Ill have a biased opinion, because we offer some too.

The two Best Vendors for Game specific kits, IMO, is Pinballbulbs and Cointaker.
Both offer their view of what is best exactly for your game with detailed instructions.
Both Companies are run by some of the best people in Pinball, how will help in any way you need
to reach your goal. You cant go wrong with either, and posts will come sharing ones preference from
one Vendor to another.

At Comet Pinball, we take a different approach.

All kits will give you a red bulb for a red insert, a green bulb for Green, etc.
The differences are in the color choice for white inserts, and color choice for your GI.
Pictures are often available to help you decide.

Pinballbulbs comes with lighting extras, and I think Cointaker has its additions.

We offer Master and Starter Kits.

As an Average game is 150 bulbs, and kits above offer 1 SMD 5050 bulb,
we have a starter kit of the same 150 bulbs, for $99 with Free Shipping.

This usually will complete most all Sterns, but may fall a few bulbs short for Williams/Bally/Data East.
We offer a Master Kit of 250 bulbs of the same, for $149 and free shipping.

Enough to pretty much do 2 Sterns, and More then enough to experiment and try any colors to see whats best for you,
for any game.

We now offer this same master kit, (with an email...soon on site) in either a slightly lower brightness...a 2 LED for $10
less, and a Brighter kit, using Twin 2835 for $10 more.

If it is your first game, or dont plan on doing many, (and even still) You cant go wrong with a kit from either of these fine companies...Pinballbulbs or Cointaker, and if you want a bit more for your money, or the flexibility to choose some of your colors,
Loose bulbs from either Vendor or myself, will get you an outstanding job.

I am truly happy to recommend any of them....and the posts that will follow, once again, will give you the assortment of public opinion.

ALL GOOD!

Art

#3 4 years ago

I just ordered some LED from Comet, today and art just got back to me with an email he has the best LEDs in the business and the best prices too go with comet Pinball LEDs !!!!!!.and if you have any questions he will personally talk to you...

#4 4 years ago

There are plenty of decent options for bulbs is there a fellow pinsider in your area with some spare LEDs so you can try a few and see what you like. Don't waste your Money on orange or yellow LEDs there darker than incandesents.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

Don't waste your Money on orange or yellow LEDs there darker than incandesents.

Good Advice!, on 5050, for inserts.

Twin 2835, sweet in frosted, are bright enough to get a rich yellow and orange in inserts.

#6 4 years ago

When it comes to kits, the problem I have with the cointaker is there are no pictures showing what the kit will end up looking like on your machine. I like the before/after shots on the pinballbulbs website, shows exactly what you are getting.

#7 4 years ago

+1 for Art at Comet Pinball. Great LED bulbs at good prices and one of the best selections available. I have done several machines using Comet bulbs and they all look great.

#8 4 years ago

I bought a Pinballbulbs kit for my JD and WOW, what a difference it makes and it looks great. Pictures don't do these games justice but it seems a lot of the PBB sets have a bluish hue. Looks great for my JD. My brother has their kit for his TOTAN he hasn't installed yet that I expect will look great but I don't think I'd use their kit for all my games due to the bluish hue. I might change it up next time with a different company. I might even just piece it together myself.

#9 4 years ago

Comet Pinball all the way. Grab a starter pack with a little bit 'o everything and play around with the stuff you get. It'll give you a better idea of what looks good where. You can then place another order with specific bulb types and colours to really dial in the look of your machine.

Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

#10 4 years ago

Art, website clitch... On master Kit page...

You must select 4 packages of 25 White to order this $149.00 Kit.
You must select 5 packages of 25 White to order this $149.00 Kit.

Same page. Just fyi...

#11 4 years ago

In my opinion, it's more fun and more satisfying to assemble your own customized kit (and then fiddle around with your choices over the course of several batches of bulb purchases). Makes the game really feel like it's yours.

#12 4 years ago

I've had positive experiences with Cointaker and Comet. Most recently I LED'd my Demo Man and Getaway with Comet bulbs and I am very pleased with the result. I didn't use a kit this last time so I was able to pick and choose what bulbs I put where.

The first time I did my Demo Man I used a Cointaket kit so I could have the picking and choosing done for me. I was mostly happy, but some of the coloring seemed a bit off to me. (My opinion.) After the kit was installed, I decided to go back to incandescent in the GI because of the LEDs not being able to dim properly. Since then Herg came out with his GI OCD board and I was able to put LEDs back into the GI. I went with Comet this time and added a some of the ICE blues to enhance the blue in the rear of the machine and also used them in the Lock inserts. I think my backglass looks better than the CT kit also because I mixed in some warm whites behind the actors instead of all cool whites.

So in my experience, a kit is a good base, but you're better off looking at what you need, counting your sockets and bulb types, color match inserts for the most part (I used warm whites for yellow and orange inserts in Getaway), and for GI I like to use cool whites around blues, greens, etc., and warm whites around red, yellows, etc. Of course it's all personal preference, if one wants to use all greens and purples, if that's what they like, it's all good.

Always over order too. Sometimes a plan in your head turns out different in real life so it's nice to have room for change.

Buying in bulk will bring the cost down too, so once you have your count, buy bulk packs that round up from your number. For instance, if you need 82 of a certain lamp, order the 100 pack.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Art, website clitch... On master Kit page...
You must select 4 packages of 25 White to order this $149.00 Kit.
You must select 5 packages of 25 White to order this $149.00 Kit.
Same page. Just fyi...

Fixed, thank you

#14 4 years ago

It's satisfying to build your own kit. Just pay attention to the coloring of the artwork. Some colors will wash it out or change it completely. That's ok if that's what you want but I prefer to find colors that will work with the art. Also my suggestion is to use frosted 555s for the translight in most cases. Otherwise you get hot spots.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

It's satisfying to build your own kit. Just pay attention to the coloring of the artwork. Some colors will wash it out or change it completely. That's ok if that's what you want but I prefer to find colors that will work with the art./blockquote>

Agreed. I used red and green in the GI of my Getaway. I like the colors but it does wash out the artwork.

#16 4 years ago

Love the coin taker kits i have on my t2 and th BG i owned. Theyll let you customize them too if you send them an updated list. Pretty sweet. Good people.

#17 4 years ago

I went with Coin Taker. Melissa was on the phone with me for a long time with me telling her what I've seen with a Terminator 2 & what I liked on Pinside & YouTube. She even would bring the actual video up (TNT Amusement) while we were on the phone so she knew what I was talking about. I asked if she could tell me what she thought looked good & what she's heard other people say & I went with that.

CT's very nice & honest which just makes this pinball thing even more fun when dealing with those kind of people.

#18 4 years ago

Customer service goes a long way.

Post photos when you're done.

#19 4 years ago

Ive done my F14 , Space Shuttle and Getaway . All with cointaker. Great service and great product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside