Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by APOLLO_13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_5124.JPG
    100_5123.JPG
    100_5120.JPG
    NFCW1.jpg
    NFI.JPG
    100_4558.JPG
    100_4236.JPG
    100_4555.JPG
    100_4549.JPG
    100_4427.JPG
    100_4421.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

So, I know a lot of people are always a bit "up in the air" about what to do when it comes to LEDs. Well, here are all three of my machine translites - before and after - with LEDs. I used the exact same thing in all 3 - Cointaker's Frosted Cool White LEDs. Nothing super-wild and fancy.

For your "oooo and ahhhhh"'s....JM, TFTC, and JP.

100_4421.JPG100_4421.JPG 100_4427.JPG100_4427.JPG 100_4549.JPG100_4549.JPG 100_4555.JPG100_4555.JPG 100_4236.JPG100_4236.JPG 100_4558.JPG100_4558.JPG

Like I said, Frosted Cool White LEDs for all three - nothing else fancy in there. Remember, these are just the translites. I'll be updating this thread with the playfields of each as time permits. Enjoy!

#2 12 years ago

You Didn't Mention CoinTaker !!!!!!! They Look Great !!!

#3 12 years ago

Thanks bud ! I got TFTC lights ready and JP and JM have been done! I am trying to find pictures of JM's playfield before I swapped over; I'm starting to think I dont have any D:

#4 12 years ago

What Kind of camera are you using ?

#5 12 years ago

They look awesome.And if you would have used cointakers or pinallLife's super-brights/3LED's the glare on the pinball glass would have been very annoying. I have used SuperBright /3LED's in the Back-Box's on many of my pinball machines . It can be very cool if the Bright LED's work.It really depends on the machine. You have to be very carefull of the glare issues. You Did well in your decision!!

#6 12 years ago

Yup

NFI.JPGNFI.JPG NFCW1.jpgNFCW1.jpg

#7 11 years ago

I'm impressed. What a difference.

I might add white & blue ones to TZ.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from BVM:

I'm impressed. What a difference.

+1

#10 11 years ago

I have replaced backglass bulbs in most of my pins with same Cointaker frosted cool white. It makes a huge difference in appearance and less current draw on boards and connectors. Most recently I did backglass on F14......looks much better.

#11 11 years ago

Are you using the same frosted cool white's on that NF?

Funny how everyone complained with Stern Tubes the backglasses are too "white" and not natural so many buy the warming filters.. now we have people going the other way.. I must say i am less resistant but really depends on the game.

http://pinballpal.com/warming/

#12 11 years ago

Those look nice.

#13 11 years ago

those look sweet... I have added colored in mine as well, kinda like adding colored led's under pf colored inserts... makes it really "pop". just ordered some more cointakers last night... speaking of led's in back boxes, does anyone know were I can find the lotr backbox eye mod?

#14 11 years ago

Wow.......very intersecting. How much per machine just for the back box??

I do incerts but nothing else ....yet

#15 11 years ago

Looks very nice.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from BillP:

Wow.......very intersecting. How much per machine just for the back box??
    I do incerts but nothing else ....yet

if you go to cointaker.com you can look for game specific kits or you can look and see how many of which bulbs you have and put your own kit together... it depends on if you have flashers bulbs or just strait 44 or 555's, color changers are more... it just depends on what you want. they also sell a starter/ sample kit so you can try a bunch of diff stuff.

#17 11 years ago

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the compliments! Like I said, I do this to give people who are "on the fence" an "extra push" to doing LED conversions for themselves !

For translites, I do not change the flashers at all, those being $3-$4 a pop simply aren't viable for me. For the regular lights, each translite seems to hold anywhere from 22-35 bulbs so for 22 bulbs at $0.69 a pop, you're looking at $17.25 and for something like 35 bulbs, you're looking at $24.15. These prices are, of course, before shipping (add another $5-$7 I think).

Overall, a steal of a deal when it comes to mind that the heat is cut down by 75%-80%, and the total current drawn is in mA for all the lights combined. With JP and JM, there is NO excess heat anywhere on my playfield or translite now; it is simply amazing. I haven't converted TFTC's playfield, as my fiancee asked me to wait for her to come up this Saturday so she can do it with me. She wants to learn !

And yes, color matching the bulbs with the colored inserts is HUGE. I have white ones under JP's playfield and colored ones under JM. JM just pops like crazy, and down the road I'll convert JP to color-matching-insert-colors LEDs. For now though, no biggie - the benefits of LEDs are there; I'm satisfied.

#18 11 years ago

on apollo 13 I did the complete kit with flashers and they have a blue led in the top lt hand corner to light the sega logo.
    on star trek 25th I only added were it needed a little more light, or color

100_5120.JPG100_5120.JPG 100_5123.JPG100_5123.JPG 100_5124.JPG100_5124.JPG

#19 11 years ago

They really do look good NPO!

Quoted from APOLLO_13:

speaking of led's in back boxes, does anyone know were I can find the lotr backbox eye mod?

I had gotten mine from pinball life. It's not on the website right now, I'm guessing they sold out. I would contact Terry and ask him directly.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

I had gotten mine from pinball life. It's not on the website right now, I'm guessing they sold out. I would contact Terry and ask him directly

ya, that's were I saw it last... I took too much time to think about it, and when I went back to get it, it was gone... I'll send him an email... thanks Snurdley
    pm sent...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-translites-all-three-machines-in-one-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.