Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by geekmiki
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hi,

I just got a TAFG and I'm considering putting LEDs both for the GI and the inserts. I've been reading around about non-ghosting LEDs, LEDOCD, GI OCD, patched roms, etc. and I'm still quite unsure about what the best option would be for me.

I've patched the TAFG roms with the non ghost fix and I'm wondering if the following options would be right:
    For the GI:
    -Regular Noflix GI (not sure yet if I should go for warm or cold white)
    http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/noflix-pinball-leds/bayonet-base-ba9s/gi/432/ba9s-noflix-led-warm-white-gi?c=2928
    Is there any point in picking up 2 or 3 SMD LEDs for the GI in TAF?

For the inserts:
    -Noflix Plus kit
    http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/the-addams-family/581/the-addams-family-noflix-plus-playfield-kit

(I live in Europe and that's why Noflix was the first choice)

Anything else I should have or are the patched roms and non ghosting LEDs the right way to go?

#2 8 years ago

Honestly...you will get a bunch of opinions.

For LEDOCD, you may want to check with Herg to see if there are any concerns with them on 220v. But his stuff is just awesome.

Understand that it's two separate things you are looking at. Ghosting is when the LEDs don't turn off completely. There are LEDs that combat that. Those are the no ghosting ones. You usually pay a premium for them.

Herg's stuff actually deals with the other behavior of LEDs...where they are either ON or OFF and don't actually dim. But you also get the ghosting eliminated. So his stuff lets you actually get the benefit of the no ghosting and the dimming effects. And the other benefit is you can use cheap LEDs, you don't need the no-ghosting ones.

I just love the LEDOCD stuff which is why I speak very highly of it. I've got it in a bunch of my machines.

#3 8 years ago

Congrats on the Gold!

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Congrats on the Gold!

Thanks...lot of work to be done to it...once I finish my AFM

#5 8 years ago

Even though I offer the "No-Flix" products from the same factory here in the US, I would not recommend them for TAF.

For this game, especially if you plan on an OCD board, they are overkill, and not worth the expense.
    Even without an OCD board, check your total cost.

With US vendors, your shipping might be $20-$25, but all major US vendors have bright enough Surface Mounted Diodes
    Starting at $.59 and up.

Compare your costs and your brightness.

Also a SuperFlux "No-Flix" is not right for your GI...They will Spot, you would need their lower illumination bullets if you choose this direction. You likely want a brighter bulb. If you do go this way, please take a moment to read through as there are No-Flix, and No Flix PLUS, Very different products, as the latter has a Capacitor.

To add this all up....expect from the US side to do your game with you figuring the bulbs starting at around $150, and going to as much as maybe $250.

Hegs OCD board looks amazing on this game too.

Art

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

For LEDOCD, you may want to check with Herg to see if there are any concerns with them on 220v.

LED OCD has no issues with 220V, 50Hz power since it is all 18V DC by the time the OCD board gets ahold of it.

GI OCD works with 220V, 50Hz, but is requires a different firmware load, and it is not yet fully tested. A few people have them in 50Hz machines, and results are basically good, but I have not yet been able to get the final answer from them on a few details. I have plans to merge the 50Hz functionality into the main firmware and make it configurable through the PC software, but that's not quite finished yet.

#7 8 years ago

I have both the Stern and B/W LED OCD boards working in the UK on 220v. You might find shipping the B/W version over to Europe is ever so slightly more complex than it should be, at least it was when I tried.

No GI OCD here. It wasn't working on 220v when I asked.

Using non-non-ghosting (i.e. normal) single & twin LEDs with frosted domes from Comet - which I prefer over the noflix stuff, and I've tried a fair few led suppliers. I colour matched where possible, thus the mixture of single and twin, but you could just use standard sunlight white everywhere if you felt the need.

LED OCD is brilliant! If I could put one in STLE I would...

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and useful info!

So this is the plan after your recommendations:
    -Patched no ghosting roms
    -LED OCD
    -Comet Pinball LEDs

#9 8 years ago

Herg will help you with the OCD, which we help you, by adding to our shipment.

Not to hard to do, with a nominal fee, to pack, ship and fully insure.
    (We help with Customs. and insure 100%, no worries)

Should you wish Bulbs from another Vendor, we are more then happy to help you with the OCD
    board.

We wish to see Hergs great product reach Fellow Pinheads all over Europe!

You might save, around $12-$15, if you have someone private, ship to you, but Insurance, correct duty control,
    may not be worth it....

Happy to Help.

Art
    Comet Pinball LEDs

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from geekmiki:

Thanks for all the replies and useful info!
    So this is the plan after your recommendations:
    -Patched no ghosting roms
    -LED OCD
    -Comet Pinball LEDs

If you do decide to get an LED OCD, the patched ROM is not necessary. It doesn't hurt anything, but it's extra cost and effort that won't make a difference in the end result.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks again for all the info.

Art, I will definitely get in touch with you and Herg in order to arrange the LCDOCD order and shipping.
    I'm going to set up the LED list I need first

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.