Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bay78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC05116.jpg
DSC05306.JPG
DSC05304.JPG
DSC00823.jpg
DSCN0612.JPG
tron6.jpg
tron5.jpg
tron4.jpg
tron3.jpg
tron2.jpg
tron1.jpg
IMG_0249.JPG
P1010186.JPG
190.JPG
189.JPG

#1 7 years ago

Just before I click checkout and go to payment over at cointaker I thought I would ask those that have put or seen LEDs in SM, IM, Avatar and TRON does the GI/all playfield lighting except inserts need to be premiums? I've never really noticed any of the Playfield lamps dimming on my games but when your looking down at the flippers I guess it's easy to miss. I have chose premiums for all my inserts on all games but just wanted to find out if I should buy everything as premiums or if cointakers standard LEDs will do everywhere other than in the inserts. Appreciate any and all replies.

#2 7 years ago

he is my SM,TRON,IM with leds .

003.JPG 005.JPG

#3 7 years ago

the IM works for sure ! it feels "LE" with no doubt

#4 7 years ago

more

017.JPG

#5 7 years ago

more

049.JPG

#6 7 years ago

more

189.JPG

#8 7 years ago

more

P1010186.JPG

#9 7 years ago

more

IMG_0249.JPG

#10 7 years ago

I used CT in 2 of my previous restores and I'll never use them again. They are too bright for me plus they ghost. I use No Flix Plus in all of Tron (GI, Inserts and etc) I have them in my TSPP as well. I think they are the best LEDs. They are more expensive but worth it to me.

My Tron with all LEDs except flashers under domes.

tron1.jpg tron2.jpg tron3.jpg tron4.jpg tron5.jpg tron6.jpg

#11 7 years ago

Is that the EL wire? Mine looks so different.

DSCN0612.JPG

#12 7 years ago

tat, all the pics of leds but what kind? ct? full kits or mix match?

#13 7 years ago

BR would be a good person to chime in at least on SM. On SM and Getaway I just did the full CT kits. JJ did my Tron Pro and I think he used the CT premium kit as well. All look great.

#14 7 years ago

I need to do sm, tron, im. did tf with a full cointaker kit and it came out good. still have to do my homework on the other titles.

#15 7 years ago

I used CT premiums on my Tron, looks great but very bright. The flashers about blind me lol.

#16 7 years ago

Check out our CT Premium, Non-Ghosting 2 Leds. Not as bright and no ghosting issues. They have a cool cap for a nice light spread.

www.shop.CoinTaker.com

We will have them on display at the York Show and Expo. Stop by and say hi.

Regards

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Yes sir that is EL

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Sc1f1:

Hwawonyu said:

Yes sir that is EL

Thanks. I have bad wire : (

#19 7 years ago

Looks like bad wire or low voltage

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Check out our CT Premium, Non-Ghosting 2 Leds. Not as bright and no ghosting issues. They have a cool cap for a nice light spread.
http://www.shop.CoinTaker.com
We will have them on display at the York Show and Expo. Stop by and say hi.
Regards

Good morning chris and melissa I have a question for you.

Which LEDwould have a wider dispersion ratio, the CT super or the newer, two l e d with the neat dome on top?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Good morning chris and melissa I have a question for you.
Which LEDwould have a wider dispersion ratio, the CT super or the newer, two l e d with the neat dome on top?

Both are very wide, the Cap, on the 2 LED tends to make the light more visible from the sides. I just completed a Viper Night Driving. It came out really nice. I used the Premium 2 LED in both the GI and Inserts. Hope to get a video done soon.

#22 7 years ago

I used retro cointaker in the GI and pinball life in the inserts

#23 7 years ago

Thanks tat are they all done with cointakers? Premiums in inserts? And premiums in GI or just inserts? That's a great question Bill, I'm curious if I need premiums in the GI of my games but also will these 2 LEDs with domes give better GI light spread?

#24 7 years ago

Sorry for the Late delay , If yr Gonna Led SM etc,,, Use CoinTakers Premium 2 's . Getaway I used the Premium 2 for All the inserts They have No Ghosting and are Perfect .. SM i have a Mix of Color Matched Retros and Premium 2's , Soon to be filled w/ All Premium 2 's , the GI 's are All Retro Warm Whites
( Perfect ).. ... I'm Glad CoinTaker Chimed in ..

#25 7 years ago

BR you sound like Boomhauer after a couple drinks

#26 7 years ago

Quote : BR you sound like Boomhauer after a couple drinks ,,
------------------------------------------------------------
Dam i do ,,

couple of drinks ) I had at least 15 or More shot's b-4 the vid- ( Special Occasion )

I Wasn't gonna Air this Video , but it's the Most Recent video of my SM & HS2 w/ my Police Flashers & My beloved BSD . And Yes The 5th was emptied that nite .. I felt Terrible Sunday ... You Led Guys know that some Leds Will Ghost , I see my SM p/f when it goes to Black-suit multi-ball , the p/f goes dark except for a few light's ,, I see 2 or 3 Led's ghost-n ,, That's Not a Big deal for me , but i will fix those just because that's what I do .. And Every 89 Flasher in SM is a Super , and they are Not to Blind-n .. Just Rite !! CoinTaker Rules !!!!!!!!!!!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Both are very wide, the Cap, on the 2 LED tends to make the light more visible from the sides. I just completed a Viper Night Driving. It came out really nice. I used the Premium 2 LED in both the GI and Inserts. Hope to get a video done soon.

Looking forward to the video please let us know here on Pinside when you have it up and running.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Just before I click checkout and go to payment over at cointaker I thought I would ask those that have put or seen LEDs in SM, IM, Avatar and TRON does the GI/all playfield lighting except inserts need to be premiums? I've never really noticed any of the Playfield lamps dimming on my games but when your looking down at the flippers I guess it's easy to miss. I have chose premiums for all my inserts on all games but just wanted to find out if I should buy everything as premiums or if cointakers standard LEDs will do everywhere other than in the inserts. Appreciate any and all replies.

Great how everyone thought your question of "do I need premiums" meant "send me massive irrelevant pictures"

The answer here is you should use premiums in all the inserts in the sterns. The GI, use the retro series bulbs. They are massively bright and radiate light well. For any GI your eye will see unobstructed, use a frosted bulb. The retros are so bright that they are sort of blinding if you look on them directly. Great for under plastics though.

Quoted from CoinTaker:

This is true. The cap helps disperse the light but the premium 2 led bulb just cannot compete with the sheer brightness of the retro which results in more dispersed light in the end.

#30 7 years ago

I agree with Markmon (as per usual .....)

I've LED'd a lot of machines and have experimented a lot.

I use so many LEDs I get them straight from China. Mine look very similar to the Cointaker ones. Cointaker and Pinball Life have great prices on LEDs for you guys in the USA.

The big mistake I see over and over in Pics posted here on Pinside is the machines are crazy bright. How do you play them?? The other side of the coin, some are way too dark. It takes a bit of playing around to get the mix right, and every machine is different.

I have found the following combo works well in almost every machine.

I use the frosted retro in the GI lamps ... I will use the occasional 4 led lamp for effect if required. I mix the colours around, and I find mixing white in around the slings and ball return guides really helps playability. That's what Stern has done on ACDC and Xmen too. Those Cointaker 2 Led lamps look like they would be good too.

I use a 4 LED lamp in 95% of the feature inserts. Occasionally the whites can be too bright, and be distracting .... Like the "mark" inserts in Ironman. So I use either 1 led or Retros in these inserts.

Here's a Scared Stiff I did recently. As we know LEDs don't always photograph well, but this SS looks pretty rocking in person, and MOST IMPORTANTLY it is very good to play, with no dark spots or bright spots (the blue in the GI isn't as noticeable in person)

http://www.pinballarcade.co.nz/ss.htm

Sweet!

Dave.

#31 7 years ago

Making a few adjustments to that order now, big thank you always markmon! Here's one for you Mark have you considered using any glass paint on your TRON LE? I was considering using a thick red glass paint over the heads of the surface mounted leds to make the red inserts on the LE red and not pink, what's your thought on this I know your a pretty practical pinhead so what's your take?

#32 7 years ago

I did PinballLife Ghostbusters for the small inserts and pick-n-choose cointakers for the remainder.

DSC00823.jpg

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Sc1f1:

I used CT in 2 of my previous restores and I'll never use them again. They are too bright for me plus they ghost. I use No Flix Plus in all of Tron (GI, Inserts and etc) I have them in my TSPP as well. I think they are the best LEDs. They are more expensive but worth it to me.
My Tron with all LEDs except flashers under domes.

That is by far the sickest Tron Pro I have seen. Nice job!!!! Are the EL wires tied in to anything or are they alwars on? Can you mod them to go off with the ramp flashers?

#34 7 years ago

Damn ya'll make me want an Iron Man so bad....

#35 7 years ago

Here's some pics of my Avatar that I did in LED's (from Pinball Life). I was going for the movie look when they are in the forest at night (seems to be close). There's some added figures and I added a couple extra spotlights.

avatar_playfield.jpg DSC05304.JPG DSC05306.JPG

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Making a few adjustments to that order now, big thank you always markmon! Here's one for you Mark have you considered using any glass paint on your TRON LE? I was considering using a thick red glass paint over the heads of the surface mounted leds to make the red inserts on the LE red and not pink, what's your thought on this I know your a pretty practical pinhead so what's your take?

Very interesting idea. I haven't done this. I was considering wiring in some actual cointaker bulbs into the blue inserts at some point but haven't gotten around to messing with that yet.

#37 7 years ago

Sterns definitely need Premiums/Ghostbusters in the inserts.
I only put LEDs in the GI if it is an exposed bulb, then I use frosted. I find the retros to be too bright unless that bulb is well hidden/covered.
I rarely LED flashers with the exception of the under playfield Pop bumper flashers.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

That is by far the sickest Tron Pro I have seen. Nice job!!!! Are the EL wires tied in to anything or are they alwars on? Can you mod them to go off with the ramp flashers?

Thanks a lot. I still have more to add to it. I have them set to always on but I could tie them to the PIG and have them go off and on based on something. I'm waiting on Eli's fiber kit to put in as soon as it's ready.

#39 7 years ago

I have CT cool white Premiums in the clear inserts on my SM...The white regulars and supers ghosted too much, and they didn't have the subtle stay on effect when they are lit for 2 or 3X...the Premiums have a slight change so you can tell what is lit for 2 or 3X...I have CT supers under the colored inserts a couple of them ghost a little, and I will probably swap them out for Premiums at some point just haven't gotten around to that yet. CT 180W in most of the GI with a few supers for some color highlights. I have had no issues with the supers or regular 180Ws ghosting in the GI! Chris and Melissa are easy to work with and will help you out if you have a problem...

Phoebe

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Here's some pics of my Avatar

just superb ! really match the theme

and to be honest, i've got something similar (blue/green) on my TRON

#41 7 years ago

My IM came with a Cointaker kit in it, and I think I swapped about 75% of the bulbs either on placement or on the bulbs themselves. I thought it looked like a bug-zapper like it was, so I toned it down, and then a TON of the inserts were ghosting really bad, so I redid those.

I was taught to always experiment until you like it best, and my eyes are really light sensitive (one of them anyway), so I find it is always the best look if I do that. I would never plan on getting a kit personally.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I was taught to always experiment until you like it best, and my eyes are really light sensitive (one of them anyway), so I find it is always the best look if I do that. I would never plan on getting a kit personally.

Mine too and I really went overboard on CTs. NFP Leds are not very bright and more toned down for my eyes

You can tell in pictures too... My CT pins have these crazy lines that show up in the pictures and video from being so intense compared to my pins with NFP

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Very interesting idea. I haven't done this. I was considering wiring in some actual cointaker bulbs into the blue inserts at some point but haven't gotten around to messing with that yet.

Trails went well tonight with a spare stern led board I have, needs more coats possibly at least 10 good solid coats to really make the colour pop, of the red works out I may add glass paint and colour match all my tron leds to their inserts

#44 7 years ago

I'm kinda addicted to LEDs in pins.
I have LEDs in our Sky Jump as well too.

#45 6 years ago

@sc1f1, I noticed that your Tron drop bank has 3 recognizers on them. Where did you get them? They look awesome!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

@sc1f1, I noticed that your Tron drop bank has 3 recognizers on them. Where did you get them? They look awesome!

Pinball Decals Inc

#47 6 years ago

Here is my Tron. I went with cointaker white 44/47 frosteds for all my GI (much brighter look then going with colored like Blue etc.) And I didn't go with too many premiums but I do have some, mostly just frosteds under the inserts aswell. Thats also before I added the pinbits plastic protectors/dress up kit which makes it look even more stunning!

DSC05116.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside