New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 72304)

LED's in Hardbody

By BeaverBrewing

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pantor80
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4568640018_large.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Just grabbed a Bally Hardbody...anyone have one with LED's in it? I was considering adding them to mine. Any thoughts or pics from someone that has done it? Thanks.

Also, any ghosting issues on these models of bally?

#2 6 years ago

Not "ghosting", you mean flickering issues. They are two different problems entirely. LEDs in a Hardbody will make you have a seizure! You can purchase a replacement "no flicker" lamp driver PCB to resolve the problem through Coin Taker IIRC. I think they are $79.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, ill have to look for one at works on bally 6803 machines.

#4 6 years ago

Just LED the GI. The inserts flicker way to much and will take away from the gameplay.

#5 6 years ago

I am doing a LED for the first time on a Jungle Lord of mine(another thread).One thing I learned is that any lamp sockets that are horizontal instead of pointing straight upwards you need to get the Led's that are on wires that you can aim.Otherwise whatever you are trying to light up will not get enough light and be too dark.Just a few observations from my first attempt.Good Luck!

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip juke.

#7 6 years ago

Putting LEDs in a hardbody is like putting chrome rims on a 1993 corolla.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I gots 22"s though!!

4568640018_large.jpg
#9 6 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I gots 22"s though!!

4568640018_large.jpg 42 KB

That's counting the tires, right?

#10 6 years ago

I dunno, I think the game plays really well. Lots of fun. Sure it's a goofy theme but I like it.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from BeaverBrewing:

I dunno, I think the game plays really well. Lots of fun. Sure it's a goofy theme but I like it.

If you love the game, then there's nothing wrong with putting the money into it.

I spent untold amounts of money restoring my F-14, because my wife and I really enjoy it. Way more money than I'll ever be able to sell it for. It's MY machine too. I know every single nut, bolt, screw and solder connection on that machine. BadBrick and I personally resoldered that entire wiring harness back in. We cut it at every single connection, no switches or anything were left on.

I'm just giving you shit over it being a hardbody. LOL

#12 6 years ago

Hardbody is a great game. Too bad they do not show up at the shows I attend… I know there was one at Pinballlife's party this year but it was unplayable when I was there.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Hardbody is a great game. Too bad they do not show up at the shows I attend… I know there was one at Pinballlife's party this year but it was unplayable when I was there.

For having 2,000 of these made you almost never see them compared to other games of similar production runs. I am sure many have been turned into parts...

#14 6 years ago

Hardbody is a good playing game. The theme is bad! The Backglass has the worst "chick in a bikini" in pinball.

2 weeks later
#15 6 years ago

Started putting pinball life LEDs in, no flickering at all. Works fine. Think I will leave the 906 flashers as is. They are working almost all the time during the game and would probably blind me if I had all LEDs. Will post some pics when completed.

#16 6 years ago

I take back my earlier statement. I have now realized that LEDs installed in Bally games that use the AS2518-54 power board (starting in 1981) do NOT seem to have that annoying flicker. A classic Bally game that uses either a AS2518-18 or AS2518-49 supply makes LEDs flicker like mad and require the mod board mentioned above.

#17 6 years ago

There was one at York this year. It played well, owner asking for $400. Toward the end of Saturday, the price was "make me an offer, i don't want to take it home!". Wonder if anyone took it.

#18 6 years ago

Hardbody is a fun pinball and if you want to led that pin go for it I think it's worth it !!!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

There was one at York this year. It played well, owner asking for $400. Toward the end of Saturday, the price was "make me an offer, i don't want to take it home!". Wonder if anyone took it.

Damn, $400 for a non-EM machine that worked...I don't think there is much I'd pass up at that price point! I might have to go there next year.

I also did have the older Bally (1978) Playboy with the AS2518-18 I believe and that flickered like crazy. I added a Alltek Lamp Board and that did fix the problem. Pinball lifes were not as bad but cointakers were VERY flickery...if that is a word.

#20 6 years ago

really? Would you buy a gottlieb dragon for $400? or a Laserball? I wouldn't. I got burned by that before. Nice looking and playing laserball, with fairly nice backglass, fetched $230 on ebay. Lost my ass on that one.

#21 6 years ago

Laserball ain't that bad!

#22 6 years ago

Well, yeah but there are a LOT of NON EM pins that are not worth 400 bucks.

#23 6 years ago

it isn't. but you can't get shit for one when it comes to selling it. I didn't mind it, but it wasn't a keeper.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You just got yourself on Santa's Naughty list, way to go.

1 month later
#25 6 years ago

Finally got around to doing a video of the LEDs. I put some on the playfield, didn't like it. Ended up just doing all the inserts, makes the colors really pop. I matched colored bulbs with each colored insert.

Also put LEDs under "hardbody" on the playfield. That helps big time. Plastic is thick and dark, not too much light got through it.

https://vimeo.com/84555925

#27 6 years ago

That's a great looking Hardbody! (I can't believe I just said that.)

And I'd pick up a Hardbody for $400. But NOT a Gottlieb Dragon. Did that once before for even cheaper and felt ripped off. Sold it for a loss.

1 year later
#28 5 years ago

Hi.
The machine looks great. I am starting to do the same thing with my pin, but i have a couple of problems.
I think the old owner put in wrong bulbs in certain places. Could anyone tell me if i need flashers in the 5 bulb cluster behind the station 1, and what ones are the flasher ones?
And the top socket under the slings are flashers right? I cant find a bulb schematics/drawing anywhere...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 137.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 6.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 275.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 132.00
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside