IMG_20161211_1202492 (resized).jpg
unnamed (8) (resized).jpg
unnamed (9) (resized).jpg
unnamed (10) (resized).jpg
unnamed (11) (resized).jpg
IMG_5546 (resized).jpg
IMG_5550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160911_194532 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

I just LED'ed a skyjump with mostly 2md bright comet bulbs. It looks brighter in the photos than it actually is. I started putting in regular LED bulbs but they didn't seem bright enough to me. If you like the warm orangey glow of incandescents, you will probably not like the stark white shine of the LEDs. You can always change back.

My BG has some flaking in the red areas so I used less bright 1MD red leds there to hide the flaking. It worked pretty well! Look at the helmet, the plane and the middle jumpers left leg... before and after. I used 2md blue bulbs for the score reels. Something different.

Here are the before and after pics. I love it.

unnamed (9) (resized).jpgunnamed (9) (resized).jpg
unnamed (11) (resized).jpgunnamed (11) (resized).jpg

unnamed (8) (resized).jpgunnamed (8) (resized).jpg
unnamed (10) (resized).jpgunnamed (10) (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

I gotta agree I do like the warm original incandescent look too. Its easy to change back and forth so go experiment.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHiro:

Generally I wouldn't put LED's on top, only underneath on an EM. But on Atlantis warm comet LED's looked pretty good to brighten it up. Toss some warm behind the glass for effect. (color changers look great behind the palace!)
Respect to owners that like brights, but I like warm, fits the theme better.

If you put red leds behind the "ATLANTIS" in the backglass, you'd lose those bright spots.

1 week later
#26 7 years ago

It looks great. You might think about buying a 25 bag of a bunch of different colors so you can color match your back glass art. A purple bulb shining though a purple game title looks so much nicer than a white bulb. You can try different colors in different sockets until you're happy with the result. I suggest color matched bulbs in the inserts too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d0n.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-gottlieb-atlantis?tu=d0n and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.