• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0710131916.jpg
0710131912.jpg
0710131911.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider collin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure there was another thread out there doing this, but just felt like I may as well share. I've been working on putting LEDs in all my games (I'm neutral on the look overall, but feel like reducing heat is worth it.) I figured it couldn't hurt to take some pictures of different types of bulbs in GI, and I had my Fish Tales opened up already, so thought I may as well use that. Hopefully this helps someone!

1. standard bulbs (left) vs. Cointaker warm white Retros (right)
0710131911.jpg0710131911.jpg

2. Cointaker warm white Frosted (left) vs. Cointaker warm white Retros (right)
0710131912.jpg0710131912.jpg

3. Cointaker cool white Supers (left) vs. Cointaker warm white Retros (right) 0710131916.jpg0710131916.jpg

Observations:
-Any LED is going to be brighter than a standard bulb.
-Retros and Frosted both seem to disperse light pretty well, and provide more light spread out over at least as great an area as standard.
-Retros and frosted are VERY similar in terms of amount of light and area of dispersement. Retros may be slightly brighter, but frosted are substantially less expensive.
-Supers seem to not throw light in as many directions; looking at the slingshot plastic, you can see dark areas where they don't illuminate very well.
-Largely personal preference, but GI (at least for games of this era) looks best in warm white.

My personal opinion:
Retro > Frosted > standard bulbs > Supers

Cost be damned, retro is the nicest, but Frosted is by far the best bang-for-the-buck.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from bearsfan27:

Where are the pics?

Use your imagination!

They were lost in (cyber) space.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

not seeing to much difference

Most of the differences are rather subtle; I added some conclusions to the first post.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

dang...going to have to experiment with the retros...the supers seem to spill more out of the sides of the slings where the retros have less spill and more illumination in the plastic...
nice work...thanks for posting

Yeah, and the evenness of how the light is dispersed really makes the retros and frosted better. For GI, the supers kinda look like ass, in comparison.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

yeah I am thinking the same I would like those for this EM i just bought they are pricey but look to be well worth it.

I've got a Gottlieb Totem ('79, Solid State, but very similar look to an EM.) The retros look great in inserts, but frosted are perfectly sufficient. Retros above the playfield keep the original look of the game and improve brightness enough to be well worth it, in my mind.

#14 10 years ago

Burningman, I'll do something similar with Space Shuttle soon - I've already got some pictures of different LEDs in the inserts of that one, and will do the same with the GI in a bit.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't for get the 2-LED (dome style) from CT. They look like Retros but are cheaper and don't blow your eyesockets out if you look at them directly. I prefer these in most areas for GI. If I need brighter in areas where the light won't be seen directly by the eye (under plastics), Retros are good but it's also worth trying Pinball Life 4-LEDs. The spread is great and they don't "spot".

Whoa, good call on that! I'd totally overlooked those, and am kicking myself for that now. It looks like those are only available under the GI section (which I'd passed up while looking at the other type-specific sections.) Next time I order from Cointaker, I'll snag some of those.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 169.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider collin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-gi-comparison-by-collin?tu=collin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.