bv bg ipdb (resized).jpg
0ECB5FCA-83F0-46CD-B086-4FC29FC29FCF (resized).jpeg
CCA2E085-C773-4A95-8B56-7A0FB508B107 (resized).jpeg
164482 (resized).png
20190304_173438 (resized).jpg
20190304_173430 (resized).jpg
20190304_173422 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Just put LEDs in my Jungle... I like it!

20190304_173422 (resized).jpg20190304_173422 (resized).jpg20190304_173430 (resized).jpg20190304_173430 (resized).jpg20190304_173438 (resized).jpg20190304_173438 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Personally I don't like the look but it's a personal preference thing and reversible so if you like the look, go for it!

#4 5 years ago

I would prefer the look of the incandescents in older games. They look more nostalgic. I appreciate the benefits of modern lighting though. Does anyone make an led bulb yet that has a true warm glow to it? Where you can get the benefits of a bulb that's not hot, but still retains the correct color temperature?
I've seen several "warm" LED's but nothing that comes close to an incandescent glow.

#5 5 years ago

YES... you need single LED in Warm White... frosted dome might help also...

#6 5 years ago

It’s a matter of taste. I’ve gone the LED route on my 3 EMs and like it a lot. Having had to replace bumper caps which were scorched I appreciate the reduced heat output. Flashers strategically placed in the backglass are a nice touch too. Some bulbs are hard to reach so I’m glad I won’t have to do it again for quite some time.

#7 5 years ago

Love it great job!

#8 5 years ago

Frosted white under inserts and back glass. That’s a no brainer. Then you need to decide if you want leds for GI lighting. That’s where personal preference comes in. I used to put led for GI lighting but now really prefer incandescents.

#9 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems
Check out Nico Volta's recipe for LEDs in EM's. I've seen it in person and it really looks good. Nice compromise for the older games.

#10 5 years ago

You’re a brave soul for posting the topic title alone.

#11 5 years ago

Well now that it looks like that, you have to set it to three balls per game.

#12 5 years ago

Grand Prix. Incandescent left. LED right.

0ECB5FCA-83F0-46CD-B086-4FC29FC29FCF (resized).jpeg0ECB5FCA-83F0-46CD-B086-4FC29FC29FCF (resized).jpegCCA2E085-C773-4A95-8B56-7A0FB508B107 (resized).jpegCCA2E085-C773-4A95-8B56-7A0FB508B107 (resized).jpeg
#13 5 years ago

I'm somewhat of a purist so I like incandescents. I also grew up playing these games before LED's we're invented. But , your choice as long as it's reversible.

It's kinda like putting mercury-vapor lamps in a late 60's Camaro or Mustang - not original.

Some say incandescents put off too much heat and LED's burn cooler which will save backglasses and inserts - maybe if it's on location and powered on for 8 - 12 hr's. But, for home use 47 bulbs are fine.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Frosted white under inserts and back glass. That’s a no brainer. Then you need to decide if you want leds for GI lighting. That’s where personal preference comes in. I used to put led for GI lighting but now really prefer incandescents.

Disagree if the insert is not frosted. If the insert is clear (untextured), and I can see the bulb's filiment, then I want to see the LED's pinpoint of light.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Incandescent left. LED right.

Those are nice looking LEDs. Just the right amount of warmth. What kind are they?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Those are nice looking LEDs. Just the right amount of warmth. What kind are they?

50/50 single smd. Frosted warm white from comet. I think I had to use nonghosting throughout in this game.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

50/50 single smd. Frosted warm white from comet. I think I had to use nonghosting throughout in this game.

Great! After trying Comet's sampler pack, I was planning to order a bunch of those (for an EM).

#18 5 years ago

This is another personal preference to be sure,But,LEDs give brighter color,lots less heat,less energy,Like having a old VDub with the 6 volt system,as opposed to a 12v system!! No brainer!!

#19 5 years ago

I just can't do LEDs behind an EM backglass. They never have the same warmth or spread as incandescent. Color matched inserts and retro or warm white bulbs for everything else are ok to me.

#20 5 years ago

In the back box I put the LEDs for the scores and the Game Title... I left the 47s for the graphics and other info... I thought the LEDs were too bright there... I think in the future I will switch the GI lighting to the single led frosted warm white... but truthfully I like to play in a darkened room and this makes the playfields pop...

Quoted from wayout440:

I just can't do LEDs behind an EM backglass. They never have the same warmth or spread as incandescent. Color matched inserts and retro or warm white bulbs for everything else are ok to me.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you use the same warm LEDs they can look pretty good. The frosted ones work well behind the bg.

Typical bg with incandescents, pic straight from IPDB

bv bg ipdb (resized).jpgbv bg ipdb (resized).jpg

BG with LEDs (game title is backed by several blinkers, pic is caught in random mid-blink)

backglass hdr2 (resized).jpgbackglass hdr2 (resized).jpg

HOLY SHIT AND THERE ARE COLOR ONES IN THERE!!!

#22 5 years ago

Not quite an EM, but loaded up Hulk with comet 1smd 5050 warm white frosted behind inserts and backglass, and twin 2835 smd warm white frosted in GI, and a few of their blinking 1smd 5050 leds in the backglass as well. overall I'm pretty happy with it.

IMG_20190302_163842 (resized).jpgIMG_20190302_163842 (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

Warm White always; I wish they weer a little warmer to be honest. Cool doesn't look right and Sunlight is still too cool.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

If you use the same warm LEDs they can look pretty good. The frosted ones work well behind the bg.

I didn't care for them in my early solid state games, Mata Hari, Comet, and Strikes and Soares. We have a Comet in the work break room that has LEDs behind the glass. If it were mine, they'd be gone. I have yet to see an older game with a real glass EVER look good with LEDs. They look like crap. Now, my modern Maverick with frosted warm whites behind the translate looks great.

To each his own

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Disagree if the insert is not frosted. If the insert is clear (untextured), and I can see the bulb's filiment, then I want to see the LED's pinpoint of light.

Ok that was pretty much a general rule. There is more than just frosted behind backglass and inserts. But you need to experiment to see what you lime.

#26 5 years ago
KIMG0634 (resized).JPGKIMG0634 (resized).JPG
#27 5 years ago

I had to use LEDs behind my new Beat Time back glass (from a producer of repro back glasses)
because regular #47 lamps would not penetrate very well

1 year later
#28 3 years ago

sorry to dig up an older thread. thought it better to ask here than clutter with another topic.

doing a full rebuild and restore on a gottlieb just 21.

just had the playfield cleared, so what lights along the top of the target gallery?
20200906_012524 (resized).jpg20200906_012524 (resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

This is another personal preference to be sure,But,LEDs give brighter color,lots less heat,less energy,Like having a old VDub with the 6 volt system,as opposed to a 12v system!! No brainer!!

In home use heat and energy use just aren't a consideration.

I would never use them on a playfield. I do have them under inserts in one game. Its almost game by game but in the main, I don't really like them in EMs. But they are reversible

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

so what lights along the top of the target gallery?

No idea but I saw a picture from HEP's.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/140#post-5659634

8032c5cf18bc09a179c88b7a305ef6fb48621a01 (resized).jpg8032c5cf18bc09a179c88b7a305ef6fb48621a01 (resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago

Yeah warm white or just put those original GE #44s. You still got some of those?

#33 3 years ago

When LEDs first came out tried some in my EMs. Looked horrible IMO.
The only place I use them now is in pop bumpers where the vibration
kills incandescent lamps.
Steve

#34 3 years ago

They are much better now. Warm white frosted. Color match the inserts. Beautiful.

#35 3 years ago

I'm a fan of Sunlights in most games, including EMs. Warm White are fine for EMs too, but the Cool White ones shown in some of these pictures look pretty bad, IMHO.

#36 3 years ago

I’ve grown to dislike cool white in any game new or old.

#37 3 years ago

Every time you put LEDs in an EM, God kills a kitten.

kitten3 (resized).jpgkitten3 (resized).jpg

#38 3 years ago

Tossed led's in a em pitch and bat. The fireworks come alive.

#39 3 years ago

I use 1 SMD frosted warm whites from Comet for the backbox and GI. In the inserts i try to color match when possible, but with 2 SMD frosteds. The one bulb style I have not switched to LED is flashers. LED flashers are not random like incandescent flashers. I just don't like that I can catch the pattern of the blinks.

Alberto

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

I use 1 SMD frosted warm whites from Comet for the backbox and GI. In the inserts i try to color match when possible, but with 2 SMD frosteds. The one bulb style I have not switched to LED is flashers. LED flashers are not random like incandescent flashers. I just don't like that I can catch the pattern of the blinks.
Alberto

True, they are patterny... but if you go with the fast blinkers it has a uniquely fun look which is growing on me.

#41 3 years ago

When I see an EM with LEDs it always feels like when one of those HGTV design shows try to turn this into this. Two styles that are elegant separately but the transition doesn't always work.

190 (resized).jpg190 (resized).jpgConcept-of-dramatic-interior-design (resized).jpgConcept-of-dramatic-interior-design (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-ems-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.