(Topic ID: 186756)

LEDs in Black Hole

By Tlamb

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I picked up a Black Hole and it had a few LEDs in it already, I had extra so I decided to finish it up and put LEDs in the remaining areas that were missing.

On the under side of the upper playfield there are lights that illuminate when you get to the lower playfield. So I am playing a game and hit the shot to go to the lower playfield and the lights flickered a bit, then I saw and smelled smoke. I quickly shut the game off, at first I thought it might have been the lower to upper PF kicker as I had just repaired it a few days prior but everything looked good. Upon looking around I notice one of the LEDs looked slightly melted around the casing, sure enough a few had the same issue.

I decided to remove the LEDs I just placed and replace with standard bulbs and every thing works perfectly again. Did I just have a bad couple LEDs or is there something unique about that circuit? Seemed strange to me. Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

Where exactly was the melted bulb?

Some of the lower playfield lamp sockets do not use standard #44/47 6.3v lamps, but instead use #313 bulbs, which are 28v. Sending 28v to a 6.3v bulb will fry it.

You can either stick with using #313 bulbs, or modify the game to be able to accept standard #44/47 bulbs.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Black_Hole#Replacing_Black_Hole_Lower_Playfield_Illumination_Lamps_with_.2344_Lamps

#3 7 years ago

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the insight, I figured it might be something like that, I just did pull up the manual to confirm and though someone here may have run into the same issue at some point. I ended up putting the original bulbs back in so that very well could be the case. It melted around the plastic where it meets the metal body. Thanks ForceFlow!

#4 7 years ago

Fortunately, the modification isn't complex, so if you want to install LEDs, it won't take long to do.

#5 7 years ago

modifying those #313 sockets to be 6.3v instead of 28v was one of my very first pinball mods! i am very glad i did. it was pretty easy.

Superbright LEDs are more than bright enough to light the lower playfield, and converting those sockets to the standard voltage just opens up myriad possibilities.

i put slow-fade color changing bulbs in there, myself. looks pretty neat.

#6 7 years ago

I've also seen someone modify the lamps and attach them to a lamp chaser board. That is an interesting effect.

#7 7 years ago

It is such a beautiful game, and fun too. I will definitely look up the mod. Thanks guys!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Tlamb:

then I saw and smelled smoke.

That game never had anything go up in smoke while I owned it!
Oh, wait......... yes it did.

#9 7 years ago

You can get #313 led bulbs from cointaker http://cointaker.com/products/37544471-b113-419c-8897-cab636ad6b8a. got them in mine and they look great, without having to do any mods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-black-hole?hl=dopes214tx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.