Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jason1413
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2016-02-17 21.37.02 (resized).jpg
IMG_7544.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Has anyone tried putting LEDs in the inserts of Baby Pac Man? I realize some old Bally driver boards will not work with LEDs because they do not draw enough current to bias the drive transistors. If they will work do they strobe or ghost at all? It's technically not a traditional lamp matrix.

#2 4 years ago

Bump.

#3 4 years ago

I plan on trying it but have to get mine working first

#4 4 years ago

Only put them in the GI. Given the funky way they drive the controlled lamps in Baby Pac I didn't even want to try. And I like how it looks with the incandescents after cleaning the inserts and putting in fresh lamps.

Having said that I may throw in a couple non-ghosting lamps and see what it looks like...

viperrwk

#5 4 years ago

I wouldn't consider it in a million years if these cheap Chinese bulbs wouldn't burn out on me so often, and the insert sockets are so finnicky and hard to work with. Might need to eventually get some Ablaze lamps. Those are decent right?

#6 4 years ago

I've used them in other applications and they've been pretty much bulletproof but have no idea how they would do with Baby Pac.

Totally understand what you're saying about the insert sockets - they are a total pain and completely unfriendly towards any lamp change so for a game on route I can understand why you'd want LEDs.

viperrwk

#7 4 years ago

Seems to me the LEDs would be worth more than the machine.

#8 4 years ago

LED's work fine in Baby Pacman. Both of the video hybrids (this one and Granny and the Gators) used AC voltage to drive the controlled lamps with an A phase and B phase like Bally did later on in the 6803 games. This means that these games do not have the flicker problems associated to the LED's like all the rest of the -35 and -17 MPU (and Stern MPU-100 and MPU-200) games do.

Also what this means is that each of the SCR's actually controls two lamps and bad SCR means two lamps won't light. The lamps sockets are a tight fit in Baby Pacman so I would advise installing them with the power off. If you bend a socket back and it touches another socket you will blow out an SCR.

#9 4 years ago

Yes, they work. I had them in the PACMAN inserts for about 5 seconds before I pulled them out. Yellow LEDs always look washed out and sickly to me. They look good in the white inserts though. I agree with changing them with the power off, I have blown many SCRs when messing around with the playfield with the power on.

#10 4 years ago

Put white LED's behind yellow inserts, or use brighter yellow LED's. The single frosted yellow LED's are worthless, the orange ones aren't much better.

#11 4 years ago

To be fair, I have only tried PBL's 3 led yellows. They look terrible but I use them in every other insert color.

#12 4 years ago

Apparently the trick for yellow inserts is to use pink. I didn't believe it until I tried it.

viperrwk

#13 4 years ago

I have. Standard pinballlife LEDs work just fine. You may get a handful of LEDs that flicker, so replace them with ghostbusters.

IMG_7544.jpg

#14 4 years ago

I have them in mine. They work and look great, and massively reduce the heat inside the cab. It's a great mod.....

#15 4 years ago

Sure just no red ones. Blinky is already to much red for that game.....

#16 4 years ago

That game looks really cute!

#17 4 years ago

Game is simple but fast furious and fun. Owned 2 of them and would own again.

#18 4 years ago

Its a great game.

#19 4 years ago

Never though to put led's in it, might have to try it.

2 years later
#20 1 year ago

Does anyone have pictures they could share of how theirs looks and what leds they used? I'd like to led mine for the lower heat and longevity, but I saw a TNT video of one and that was WAY too much for me.

I have some coin taker ones on a Dr Dude that look good since its already kinda cartoony. I just don't want this one over the top with lots of extra color that wasn't there.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from JoeB1355:

Does anyone have pictures they could share of how theirs looks and what leds they used? I'd like to led mine for the lower heat and longevity, but I saw a TNT video of one and that was WAY too much for me.
I have some coin taker ones on a Dr Dude that look good since its already kinda cartoony. I just don't want this one over the top with lots of extra color that wasn't there.

You don't have to use colored LEDs...you can use cool white or sunlight white (comet bulb)

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from JoeB1355:

I used Cointaker's Twin 2835 SMD 6.3V Frosted with the intent of color matching. However when it was all said and done I pulled the color matched ones from the GI and just used natural white. It came out alright but my biggest complaint was that those 555 bulbs don't seat real well in the sockets (I have the older one without the PCB for all of the bulbs). My back plastics are warped so the LED's can be a little bright if you are looking right at them. Attached is not a great picture but it's what I have on my phone at the moment.

2016-02-17 21.37.02 (resized).jpg

#23 1 year ago

first saw leds on baby pacman in this video from todd tuckey. plan to do mine also.

7 months later
#24 1 year ago

Digging this thread up, but I figure its relevant to the topic. I am going through a Baby Pac project and a ton of lights were out. I replaced them with LEDs. A few of the lights under the playfield ghost, but only a few. The rest work just fine. They also don't light at all. On one of these, an incandescent bulb in that socket stays lit all of the time. I am assuming the diode on those lights need to be replaced?

#25 1 year ago

Nope. Driver board SCR transistors.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Nope. Driver board SCR transistors.

I originally thought that too, but it's not in pairs like I've seen addressed before. It's literally a few random lights in random spots. Not that I don't believe your answer, just wanted to be clearer about what I'm seeing

#27 1 year ago

If you had the playfield up and game turned on when you swapped the LEDs it's the transistors. They blow if you look at them sideways. I was going in circles trying to fix my lamps years ago and that was the problem.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I have them in mine. They work and look great, and massively reduce the heat inside the cab. It's a great mod.....

Shhh! Don't let the anti-mod thread folks hear you!

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason1413:

I originally thought that too, but it's not in pairs like I've seen addressed before. It's literally a few random lights in random spots. Not that I don't believe your answer, just wanted to be clearer about what I'm seeing

Take a look at this chart:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baby_Pac-Man#Lamps

#30 1 year ago

LEDs don't take much to light. Is there a ground leak going on when the multiple phase featue lamps?

I noticed an interesting effect with lamp driver boards. If you have a special lamp driver board with loading resistors, but you don't hook up the feature lamp bus to the loading resistors. Non lit lamps get a leaking path to ground through two resistors and an adjacent turned on SCR. You don't see it with incandescent bulbs, but LEDs will ghost. It also causes problem with the expander boards that use a lamp to turn on a motor or bank select solenoids.

I wouldnt be surprised if an SCR's pair light ghosts with LEDs and multi phase feature lamp power. The loading resistor trick will also not work on these multi phase lamps too. You would get both lamps turning on at the same time (right?).

#31 1 year ago

Ah. I see. I blindly assumed the pairs were next to each other. I don't know why I didn't think to go to Pinwiki. Used it a million times.

Quoted from catboxer:

If you had the playfield up and game turned on when you swapped the LEDs it's the transistors. They blow if you look at them sideways. I was going in circles trying to fix my lamps years ago and that was the problem.

After hearing the horror stories, I keep the game off when I switch lights out. Looking at the chart link above, your answer looks like it might be my issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grass Lake Charter Township, MI
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 50.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside