• Latest reply 8 years ago by Collin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160122_202844_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I know that on Bally/Stern games that you have to install a lamp driver board that will support LEDs in order to avoid "flicker" problems, but how about on a Gottlieb System 1 game? A friend just picked up a Charlie's Angels and wants to LED it, but I told him to wait and see what I could find out about it.

#2 8 years ago

no special board or modifications needed. they go right in and don't flicker, works very well... for LEDs that is...

#3 8 years ago

Yep, System 1 and System 80/80A/80B don't use a light matrix so you don't need anything special to run in them.

Steve

#4 8 years ago

I like to match colors under the PF in the inserts. Looks very bright and snappy. A blend of LEDs do the trick on these hybrid ss Gottliebs. This Totem I did selectively, the BG is entirely LED.

20160122_202844_(resized).jpg20160122_202844_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

System 80/80A/80B don't use a light matrix so you don't need anything special to run in them

Thank you very much. I plan to LED my Hollywood Heat but wasn't sure if they would work.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from blazerchad:

I like to match colors under the PF in the inserts. Looks very nright and snappy. A blend of LEDs do the trick on these hybrid ss Gottliebs. This Totem I did selectively, the BG is entirely LED.
20160122_202844_(resized).jpg

I've seen some folks add colors to the line of bonus points and multiplers, rather than just leaving those white. It looked kind of interesting.

#7 8 years ago

personally i don't like the color match look. we just use warm white for GI and any inserts. save electric and makes thing a big brighter, without screaming I HAVE LEDS!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

personally i don't like the color match look. we just use warm white for GI and any inserts. save electric and makes thing a big brighter, without screaming I HAVE LEDS!

The only thing I color match are colored inserts. I don't like the look of the light bleed under plastics or the backglass for the most part. It washes out the colors of the artwork.

#9 8 years ago

My Genie came out nice color matching with leds from comet pinball,no regrets

#10 8 years ago

i just used them in a hulk. warm white in colored inserts and cool white in white one.. warm white 170deg GI, big cool white multi led in pops .. very happy with it.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't like the look of the light bleed under plastics or the backglass for the most part. It washes out the colors of the artwork.

The truest of true. I get why some people like that look, but I agree with you. It washes out the whole playfield in whatever color you're adding. Even color matching behind the backglass is a bit of a stretch for me.

#12 8 years ago

LEDs work well in Gottlieb System 1 games, BUT you need to make sure you do your ground mods first. I installed LEDs before doing ground mods, and they were pretty much all on all the time. Did the ground mods, and they work beautifully!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-in-a-gottlieb-system-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.