(Topic ID: 180019)

leds getting dim over time

By tlzavala1

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170131_193050 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago

yes they do. cheap leds from certain vendors have a usable life far less than incandescent bulbs. i made a similar thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-brightness-fading-over-time

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I dont think there is any doubt of your issue, the question is it bulb only, or game that caused the bulb issue, or other.
    I have spent an amazing amount of time trying to learn all the possibilities, yet I always learn more. I had some of mine go with a Power Spike.
    I believe Ryan reached out to you, and the solution is to try new bulbs, but preferably go to a
    2 LED frosted or a 1 SMD frosted.
    These are made much different than a single resin diode.
    Better PCB. Especially if its an unanswerable cause.
    The $10-$15 difference in total cost is well worth it, for even just piece of mind.
    For 3 years, I sold over 250,000 of these with one known batch of 1000 in error, and maybe 150 or so returned as defect.
    Your under warranty, so either replace and try again, or upgrade.
    If it doesnt happen again, no worries.
    If it does, then some troubleshooting might be needed.
    Try the easiest way first.

It's definitely the bulbs. I experience the same thing across many games with same bulb type. Ac voltage seems to cause them to fade faster. Using a switch mode supply at 5.5vdc, almost 1v under rating, they still faded over a month or two.

The 2 led bulbs in the same circuits are not fading at all.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I wonder if its a specific series of games, or something in combination.
    AC testing here is easy, not so easy in China, but they do have a PBL bulb tester.
    Still, no disagreement there is an issue for some, but cant be all with so many sold.....
    Still, likely, the best answer if this is an issue is to upgrade the bulbs if one might be affected.

It's a low cost led being over driven. The resistors inside the LED should be higher to limit current. The bulbs would be dimmer, but last longer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-getting-dim-over-time?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.