Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150801_172949.jpg
    20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg
    image.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

I've read over a variety of posts on LED's but emerge more confused than enlightened. Then I go to Comet or Pinballbulbs and get even more confused. It's like toothpaste. I remember when the decision was Colgate or Crest. Now there are probably 30 different Colgate products alone. If there is already a thread somewhere that makes this one redundant please let me know.

Anyhow, I have a Whirlwind that has a couple of bulbs out, so I figured I would replace with LED's. Here are my questions:
    Inserts: clear or frosted? (seem like the consensus for any GI is frosted)
    Inserts: match colors on everything, or go warm white on yellow and orange and bright/natural on clear inserts
    Inserts: 1, 2 or 4 SMD? Seems to be related to size of insert but what are the sizes> e.g, smaller than a nickel use 1, smaller than a quarter use 2?
    Inserts: What's the best choice for non-circular, like arrows?

General: non-ghosting? yes or no? Yes in certain applications?
    General: if the game blinks the light a lot (but not a flasher bulb) is their a preferred choice?
    General: seems like some people use flashers in places that do not have 906 flashers. Am I imagining that?
    General: Other considerations that I'm not even bright enough to know to ask?

I realize much of this is personal preference; however, I'm hoping there is some level of agreement on some aspects.

#2 8 years ago

If you want a single solution type bulb I would recommend getting the frosted single SMD bulbs from comet. They are nice and bright but not too much so due to the frosted caps.
    Get non ghosting ones for the inserts and standard ones for the gi and back box. Color match your inserts and use warm white for yellow inserts.
    As for the GI color, warm white if you want it closer to original or get some colored ones if you are feeling adventurous. (Do it! It's fun and you can always go back to warm white.)
    That should get your Whirlwind looking pretty damn nice.
    Also get yourself a 7 smd strip for under the apron while you are at it and illuminate those flippers.
    Good luck and godspeed!

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. I'm not opposed to using different bulbs for different applications; however, if frosted singles work for everything, that works for me. As far as apron lighting goes, c'mon now I need to have some excuse for my ineptitude! Especially given the speed with which that machine will sometimes fire a ball at me.

#4 8 years ago

Art over at Comet is awesome. Helped me a bunch with a machine recently and instead of going a kit route I custom built my kit with him and his prices were great and the help going back and forth was priceless.

#5 8 years ago

That's pretty much it. Flasher bulbs are different than standard bulbs. I would replace standard bulbs with 1 or 2 smd's and standard flasher bulbs with led flashers. Buy some samples and see what brightness you like and which bulbs work best. It's fun to customize but just be careful about putting color bulbs in the gi. It can wash out some of the colors in the art. Not a big deal in some cases but I would get sample colors to test first.

#6 8 years ago

I typically buy frosted bulbs. If I need a standard SMD in a certain location, I pop off the frosted cap. They can always be glued back on with hot glue, if necessary.

#7 8 years ago

Buy one of each for testers and then test every possible option you think would look good on the game you are LEDing. Write it down, then order whatever you think looked great at each spot.

#8 8 years ago

Have Art from cometpinball.com put a sample pack together for you. He is very reasonable on price, and will be glad to help you out.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuS:

I typically buy frosted bulbs. If I need a standard SMD in a certain location, I pop off the frosted cap. They can always be glued back on with hot glue, if necessary.

That's good to know, so it sounds like: 'if in doubt, go frosted'

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

Buy one of each for testers and then test every possible option you think would look good on the game you are LEDing. Write it down, then order whatever you think looked great at each spot.

No doubt, one of each is the smart way to go, but I'm far too impatient and frugal to go that route. I'm much more into the technique of buy what you think you need, discover it's not right, reorder based on what you learn from the first failed attempt, rinse, repeat. You may argue that I end up spending more and taking more time but I can assure you, you would be wrong (from a personal psychological perspective)

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Have Art from cometpinball.com put a sample pack together for you. He is very reasonable on price, and will be glad to help you out.

I thought about that but as I'm just putting a toe in the water and based on some guesses, I'm looking at only about $60, so I don't feel right taking advantage of Art's well known good nature. I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry. (Taking advantage of this forum's good nature is altogether different. )

#12 8 years ago

Get a sample kit. . You'll learn a lot about colors, and in particular, your perception of them. As well as brightness.

I personally color match lights with inserts for red green blue; and either cold or warm white for the yellows and ambers. Yellow and orange LEDs behind colored inserts come out dull.

For GI I nearly always use warm white - or cold white for a few games where the color or theme warrants. I tend to avoid the rainbow GI. I have been guilty of using a few colored bulbs in GI for accent - but just for accent. No megapurple games for me..

#13 8 years ago

Just don't let it turn into this full on illness.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Just don't let it turn into this full on illness.

image.jpeg

Why not?

#15 8 years ago

Here is a quick rule of thumb. The brighter you make the LEDs behind the translite, the more glare you will have to fight to see through on the playfield glass while actually playing the game. To me backbox LEDs should be either the Retro or Single LED frosted variety from Comet. Any SMD or especially 2-SMD will be way too bright.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

I thought about that but as I'm just putting a toe in the water and based on some guesses, I'm looking at only about $60, so I don't feel right taking advantage of Art's well known good nature. I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry. (Taking advantage of this forum's good nature is altogether different. )

Art doesn't care if you spend $6, $60, or $600. he will be glad to help you out

#17 8 years ago

I feel your pain OP....I've been wanting to led for some time now....all the choices are overwhelming...................Joey

#18 8 years ago

COMET IS AWESOME. SINGLE SMD SUNLIGHT IN THE GI AND TWIN SMD COLOR MATCHING IN THE INSERTS AND YOUR GAME WILL LOOK LIKE THIS

20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg

20150801_172949.jpg20150801_172949.jpg

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

COMET IS AWESOME. SINGLE SMD SUNLIGHT IN THE GI AND TWIN SMD COLOR MATCHING IN THE INSERTS AND YOUR GAME WILL LOOK LIKE THIS

20150522_163418_zps0ijgv2jy.jpg 20150801_172949.jpg

Always wanted a TZ, but was thinking there was more to it than lights. I wonder if I can add some LEDS to my Wizard and end up with a WOZ...I'm already half way there with the name!

(Thanks for the info)

#20 8 years ago

This is why I went with a kit specific for my DW from Cointaker. I went with them primarily due to price with a kick but discount they ran on one of the holidays. I am very happy with what they put in the kit. I only had one problem bulb and that was the frosted yellow LED for the Time Expander. Cointaker's looked orange and it really bothered me next to the reds. I ordered one from Pinball Bulbs, and it was true yellow.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

Always wanted a TZ, but was thinking there was more to it than lights. I wonder if I can add some LEDS to my Wizard and end up with a WOZ...I'm already half way there with the name!
    (Thanks for the info)

THAT WAS A TRI-ZONE BEFORE i ADDED THE LEDS FROM COMET....

#22 8 years ago

Sorry you didnt see me post.....ran away to the beach.
    Big Storm, and most of the turtle nests were washed away.....sad to see that.

Anyway, happy to be of help.

On Whirlwind, frosted is your friend...and as standard kits go, a 1 SMD 5050 can be used across the game,
    (A second choice, less bright would be a 2 LED clear)

As an example here is a thread with their list for a WW with video:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-led-guide-for-dummies-like-me#post-2585901

Its all about brightness, and our help/chart here might be of help:

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1825.htm

Sunlight is in testing and production in other brightness and new models...should be cool!

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions....

We have starter and master kits. but if you game specific kits or other lighting needs, take a peek at the good vendors
    at Cointaker, Pinball bulbs, Nifty, etc....

Art

#23 8 years ago

Thanks for the info, Art. While Whirlwind is the impetus for my quest, it is truly a quest for knowledge to unlock the mysteries of the LED. Therefore, I'm not interested in going the kit route. Not sure how I missed the thread you posted on Whirlwind. Not only will it help with my counts, I found some of the choices interesting. First, the use of a faceted lens LED for the inserts. I would not have considered that since the inserts themselves are faceted for diffusion. Seems like the frosted provide the necessary diffusion to reduce the hotspots and let the lens insert function as designed. Curious to hear others thoughts on using a faceted LED under inserts. Second, seems like the fan shape are a good option for the pop bumpers; however, I do wonder about the use of red in the red bumpers. Do others try to match the LED to the color of the bumpers?

#24 8 years ago

Faceted Bulbs put out a Star Burst Pattern of light and the "rays" extend further then a frosted bulb.
    In that regard, Inserts that are medium large and larger, say a Stern arrow on all recent games, will benefit.
    A 5050 1 SMD frosted will fill about 75% Plus of the arrow, depending on socket placement. A faceted will fill the
    whole arrow including the tip.

Crystal Fans are a nice affordable touch for Pops.

For a Red Pop Bumper, one could go red or white, the red being a darker, or slightly less bright option.

One can also use the Bumper Rings, or Pads we have as well.

The "mystery" of LEDS is so very simple....How bright are they? and how do they throw light.

Our Brightness chart helps graphically share that.

There are many overlaps in bulbs, in what they do, and many different ways to do it.

The "debate" was always limited to brand, or bulb.
    So we simply carried them all, to satisfy these needs.

In the safest answer, all kits are 1 SMD 5050, usually frosted across the board.

This is fine for most DMD games.

Today, after the years of "kit" creation, one can do the whole game in a brighter bulb, a Twin 2835...the bulb used
    in all new Stern releases.

These can be too bright for some games, like a Whirlwind.,,,,hence the 5050. a 2 LED, can also be used here...a bit less bright, but a good choice for SS and newer.

Thats the easiest way around LEDs.

Mixing all the other bulbs, adding Op-Max, towers, fans, etc, create a game that has more blended light and dark, then an even lighting of all GI bulbs the same.

Personal taste, time and money......but damn fun.

#25 8 years ago

God forbid, I end up like jfesler (what the heck? are you trying to become the west coast distributor for Comet? Looks like you have adequate inventory). However, I put in an order with Comet for some things. I was going to adhere to my budget of keeping it under $50 including shipping. Only missed it by about 60%. At least I fought the urge to spend another $25 to get free shipping. That, my friends, is self discipline! Anyhow, if I am industrious, I will try to take pics of some of the various options for future reference. Of course, I would appreciate others with questions and answers for us neophytes to post here.
    Thanks

#27 8 years ago

I buy bulk frosted white leds. I then paint them with acrylic paint as I desire. Bought a 25 color kit for $5.99 at Michael's. It rubs off with your thumb so I can whisk through color tests quickly. My LW3 still looks great and it was done 7 years ago. Some might laugh but it works fine for me and I do not have to stress about calculating and ordering different color bulbs and then regretting buying the ones that look awful.

#28 8 years ago

LEDs for noobs... That's funny!

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

1 week later
    #29 8 years ago

Well now. If you saw my thread on the USPS speed record or Art's on USPS woes, you know that I got caught up in the deliberate USPS slowdown. Took four days for my package to get from Comet to Orlando (a distance of 10 miles). Finally got the stuff midweek and have been playing a bit. First observation is wow!, even the std non-ghosting bulbs are bright and take a bit of getting used to. Of course, I'm replacing bulbs that were in the machine when I got it so they were probably producing around 2 1/2 lumens. Anyhow, the lighting on the inserts makes a marked difference. The one area that I'm not happy with is the pop/thumper/jet bumpers. I purchased the crystal fan warm whites to use there. I don't like the fact that you can see the half dozen points of light. I tried a regular frosted warm white and am not thrilled with that either since the bulb is so prominent. I can see how some may like the fan and they may look especially good on some games but I guess I am too old-fashioned. Of course, I ordered some bulbs I can't use and need to order some more bulbs, which I had somehow forgotten, so I put in another order to Comet. I went ahead and ordered one of the 11 smd pop bumper lights to see if I liked them. The good news with the fans, is that I can put them in lots of places. These pop bumper lights can only go in a pop bumper so I figure I'd try one before shelling out $25.

Anyhow, I am struggling a bit with the pop bumpers and I'm curious to hear what others have done. My preference would be for the light to shoot downward with a slight glow coming through the bumper cap. Ideas?

1 week later
    #30 8 years ago

Bendy.....???..............Joey

1 month later
    #31 8 years ago

So am I right in thinking I can use "standard" LEDs in the back box and GI (T2)...and then get the non ghosting for the inserts....?....Thank you............Joey

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

So am I right in thinking I can use "standard" LEDs in the back box and GI (T2)...and then get the non ghosting for the inserts....?....Thank you............Joey

No reason to 100% non-ghost LED the inserts. You can:

1. Use standard LEDs for GI and inserts, then only replace the ones that are ghosting with non-ghosting ones. Not every insert will ghost.

2. Use standard LEDs everywhere then no-ghost patch your ROM (this is what I did to my T2, looked fine):
    http://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/
    http://www.edcheung.com/album/album07/Pinball/wpclp_1.4.zip

3. Stardard LEDs everywhere and LED OCD because your game is special and you deserve to treat yourself

#33 8 years ago

Thank you default....I know it's corney....but I like the profanity-rom.....would rather not update....your first tip is great...I'll start with that one..............Joey

#34 8 years ago

If you hate your wallet, look for someone who's got Herg's LED OCD kit installed. Fantastic stuff, especially for games designed for incandescent.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

No reason to 100% non-ghost LED the inserts. You can:
    1. Use standard LEDs for GI and inserts, then only replace the ones that are ghosting with non-ghosting ones. Not every insert will ghost.

Is there a downside to filling up the inserts with non-ghosting LEDs? My thought is that they are something like 10 cents more expensive (from Comet), then I only have to place a single order.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from MMP:

Is there a downside to filling up the inserts with non-ghosting LEDs? My thought is that they are something like 10 cents more expensive (from Comet), then I only have to place a single order.

I don't think so. Technically non-ghost LEDs shouldn't dim as well if you upgrade to LED OCD, but in practice I have plenty of mixed regular/non-ghosting LEDs in my games (for a while Comet was out of stock of regular bendies) and LED OCD works great.

#37 8 years ago

I was wondering... it seems like they run a bit hotter than non-ghosting, but maybe I am imagining this.

#38 8 years ago

From Herg's site: http://ledocd.com/faq_led.html

With no-ghost LEDs, the bulb will internally squash anything below around 25%, causing it not to light, and it will flicker up to about 35%. I normally set them to 40% minimum brightness to be safe. This results in a step from 0% to 40% when a bulb is first turned on, and as a result, the on/off ramp is not as smooth. It is still better than stock LEDs, though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-for-noobies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.